Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

air suspension

1K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  ECJ-7 
#1 ·
I have absolutely no need for air suspension, the only off roading my CJ does is on the beach, however I was thinking it would be a fun project.

I was thinking of setting something up so when I start her she climbs up to "RIDE HEIGHT", and when I shut her down she sits down.

Has anyone done this? And if so, what did you use for parts?

#2 ·
Incredibly complicated for your current use. You would have to convert over to some sort of link type system to locate the axles. How are your fabrication skills?

Not an answer to your question but wondering why? Is it to ditch the leaf springs for the smoother ride?

#7 ·
I have a lathe and a milling machine and I'm not afraid to use them...:smile2:

I can fab pretty much anything, been doing it for 50 years or so. As far as why, just for fun, I have 2 builds left in me before I die, the Cj is actually second in line, I'll be starting a frame off on my 65 F-100 4x4 in a couple of weeks. Not sure if I'd do the air ride on the pickup or the jeep or neither.

Just thought it would be a fun project.

the pickup will go back to being my daily driver, the CJ7 is just a beach toy.

#3 ·
I have a Firestone airbag system on my RV. Bags in the front are inside the coils and in the rear are on top of the axle. Bags are for leveling on the road and not so much for leveling at the camp site. Might work on top of the axles of the CJ, but I'd be afraid they would put a strain on the shorter length Jeep springs if you tried to ride while inflated. My luck would be to run over the only sharp pointed stick on the trail.

#5 ·
Running helper bags in rear of the 8. Vastly improved road manners especially when 30 gas tank full and loaded with camp gear and pack mule trailer in tow. No more body rolls on turns. Control left and right side from in cab controls. Just for fun when in off camber situation hit the downhill bag to level out the pucker factor.

#9 ·
I'm thinking if I do it, I'll do the pickup as I'm starting that truck first anyway, and if I do it and like it, maybe I'll do the CJ aswell.

I think the pickup would be easy to undo if it's a total failure. I think I can do the rear with a simple 4 link, which I could swap out with a coil over if I don't like it. And I think I can just build bolt on adapters to swap out the coils in the front without modifying the suspension. I'll know better when I pull the body and do some measuring.
If anyone is interested I'll maintain a thread on the suspension build if I decide to do it.

#10 ·
you could always get a TDK frame with TJ suspension mounting points (instead of CJ) and run the Airrock system from Off Road Only. that would be much easier than fabbing everything..

#14 ·
Well it's been a week and nobody has brought up anything negative about this little project, so I'll get back to this thread in a week when I do my preliminary measurements to the 79 chassis.

thanx for all your input, this could be a fun project.

#15 ·
Had the CJ on the lift this weekend, had to check a gas leak and I did the twin stick mod. I gave the suspension a quick peak and there is really not a lot of room to screw around under there. I'll see what I learn from the F-150, but it's not looking to promising for the CJ.

#19 ·
Ok now I'm confused. You are talking about 4 links so you do want to remove the leaf springs? Then you mention how small the "helper" air bags are that he is using with the leaf springs so you might have room. How much bigger will the air bags be that you will need to carry the weight of the the vehicle? Maybe if you peeked under a TJ it would give you an idea of how the factory coils were placed.

#21 ·
If I do this, it will be all air, no leafs. The F-150 shouldn't be a problem. there is a ton of room under there, but when I had the CJ on the lift, it's pretty tight. Its a 76 so it's pretty narrow, not much room for modifications. I didn't realize you could get a bag that small. At this point I'm going to ignore the CJ and focus on the Ford, and while I'm playing with suppliers I'll also ask about the CJ if I find something I like the looks of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.