Air Cleaner, Vacuum Line, Egr Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Air Cleaner, Vacuum Line, Egr Questions

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Air Cleaner, Vacuum Line, Egr Questions

Since starting this project I am losing my mind and my money. I have lost the circular piece of metal below the air cleaner. This is on the valve cover mounted cleaner. I also misplaced the switch on the back of the cleaner. I think it is the switch that tells the computer what the temp is in the air cleaner. It is not the switch that goes to the trap doors. Where can I get these.

Does anyone know where I can get the egr tube that goes between the intake and exhaust manifold. I would like to keep the egr system but may have to get rid of it if I can't find another tube. PO cut and welded the tube closed. I cut the nuts off and will have them welded shut to make plugs in the interim.

Lastly, I spent 3 days searching for a post that had 2 pages, and was about a jeep owner that had problems getting his air cleaner mounted on the valve cover. He was having difficulty getting it to be the correct height as the carb. The post went from the air cleaner issue to vac. routing. I need to see the photos of the vac. routing. It had photos and labels overlaid on the pics.

thanks

DUX4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Maybe these photos:

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
idl
1984 CJ7 

Unfortunately, I do not know where you can get the plug that connects to the computer. You may have to buy an air cleaner assembly that has it. I am looking for the elbow that attaches to the air cleaner and then attaches to the stovepipe (the metal hose that provides heated air to the air cleaner), and it looks like I have to buy an air cleaner assembly to get it.

As for the egr tube, not much help there either. I don't think I have the tube. I just replaced the egr valve, cto, air cleaner and canister and don't remember seeing it, but it's entirely possible I missed it; I was pretty confused when first started the process. From Keith's photos it looks like aluminum, maybe make one out of aluminum or copper?

Keith460 and Mike Romain are the authorites on 258 vacuum routing. When I re-ran everything I used many of their pictures/posts. In addition, take a look at this site if you haven't yet: Jeep Adventures Under the Hood
idl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

I have those pics saved already, thanks though. The ones I was looking for had a carter bbd I think. The OP had a great deal of difficulties getting the air cleaner to the correct height and then the thread wandered into the egr/vac system. If that switch is computer controled I may not need it. I am going to nutter it when my new harness comes in. Are you looking for the flexible tube from the manifold up? That sjhould be an aftermarket generic item. Cheap and easy to find. The tube I need is steel and has a flared end on each side, it connects the intake to the exhaust and directs the exhaust into the intake when the egr valve opens.

I adapted some of Mike Romains posts into the way I ran my hoses. I will post some pics to see if they are ok.
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
idl
1984 CJ7 

You're welcome. If you nutter it, you will not need the switch you are talking about. I saw the egr pipe and thought maybe you could flare the ends as needed. I am a relative newbie so my idea may not be possible.

I do have the flexible tube, I need the elbow that connects the tube to the air cleaner.

I am certainly not an authority on this but I did go through it (with a new non-feedback BBD), feel free to ask questions and I will try to help. When I did this I printed out the relevant threads, diagrams and created diagrams of my own and taped them to my garage wall. My wife walked into the garage, shook her head and walked out, it's the only way I could figure it out.
idl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

I didn't realize there was supposed to be an elbow under there. If you fnd an extra snag it for me as I need one also.
Unread 09-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

A 77 doesn't have a computer....
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
A 77 doesn't have a computer....
No, but the 85 engine/wiring harness does...For now
Unread 09-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Well, two new 8' long wires would fix that issue real fast then you can forget all the computer junk. All you have to do is hook the orange and purple wires at the distributor to the orange and purple wires at the ignition module, then the carb and timing set up manually.

Here is where the BBD vacuum lines route: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/va...9/#post6872964

This site is good for ID of the parts you are missing. http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 09-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Yup, pretty much, the PCV system includes the canister and CTO valve and the EGR maybe as well as a ported line to the distributor. I also want the air cleaner lines working to prevent carb icing.

On the Stock Carter BBD or Carter-Weber BBD like mine, the drivers side back corner nipple goes to the air filter TAC (hot air flaps).

The big driver's side port on the bottom goes to the power brakes.

The center back big one goes to the PCV with a T fitting for the canister purge. If you have a solenoid on this line, toss it as a recall, only leave the T for the canister purge.

Back passenger side to choke pull off.

The valve cover side center goes to the distributor. It 'can' T for the CTO feed 'or'..

The front drivers side corner one goes to the CTO valve. From the CTO, a line goes to the canister purge signal 'and/or' one can be fed off this purge line to the air filter TVS and from there to the EGR.

Some folks feed the CTO to the TVS and then split off the line coming from this to make the canister and EGR lines.

Everything else is pretty much trash.

I followed this link when I did the vac hoses. I still have 2 open ports on the carb. The large one on the head side of the carb on top of the middle one. It is a vent to the bowl. And a small one on the driver side front front of the carb. I capped these two. The pvc/canister goes to the lower of the two large ports on the head side of the carb. This is with a 3 port canister. If I used the 4 port canister where does the hose go marked "dist"?
Unread 09-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

I just found the thread I was looking for but unfortunately the pics I want are deleted. Here is a link to it http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...cleaner+height

CALEB 7MM could you repost the pics of your carb and labels or email them to me?
Unread 09-25-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The top large one should T fit to the one just below it and go to the canister, they are both float bowl vents.

The line off the front corner could go to the CTO to feed the 4th hose on the 4 hose canister. It is spark ported or distributor vacuum like the middle valve cover side one.
Unread 09-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
The top large one should T fit to the one just below it and go to the canister, they are both float bowl vents.
Does the pvc also t into this line?
Unread 09-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #14
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

No, these are passive vents that just blow out when the air temp changes, the top one is an emissions vent I think but would have to look that up to be sure. The top one is needed though.

The PCV just goes direct to the back of the carb with the 3 hose canister.

The 3 hole canister purge is a nipple on the snout of the air filter that is active all the time.

The 4 hose one turns on with ported vacuum and T fits the PCV line.
Unread 09-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
DUX4LIFE
1977 CJ7 

This is what I have. I just realized from your last post mike that it is not correct.

rear

front

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.