Air Cleaner Housing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Air Cleaner Housing

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-12-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
81CJUSMC
1981 CJ7 

Air Cleaner Housing

Hi all!

It's been awhile...work and kids...you know the deal. Anyways, I replaced my valve cover and gasket over the weekend. What a fun job that was. I removed the air cleaner housing to find that the thing was moldy on the inside with a ton of rust. The PCV filter definitely needs to be changed, which I have noted. The other things located in the housing needs to be replaced...they look like hell. I don't know what they are though and can't find any documentation that states it either. I have a Hayne's manual, but I can only pick out the PCV Filter, and a senser, that sits on the bottom (Which I have no clue what it is for). On the side of the housing, there is a round disc with two vaccuum tube connection points, also, there is a round disc that has a metal face (sits on the inside of the housing) and an electrical plug (sits on the outside). My question is what are all the things that go in the housing and what are they for? Can I obtain a replacement part for each? I had the housing sandblasted and primered. Now I have to paint the housing. Another thing that puzzled me...the PO put a screw in the top of the housing to hold open the trap door/flap on the inside. I haven't the faintest idea why...could anyone clue me in? I bet this is why it was rusted out and had white stuff growing in it...

As always, Thanks!

Jason

Unread 02-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Here ya go Jason:
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=261383
Unread 02-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
81CJUSMC
1981 CJ7 

Fatman,

Thanks for the reply. By the way, I don't remember your name...I went through a ton of postings but couldn't seem to locate it either. I notice that the air cleaner housing on that website is different from mine...does that make much of a difference? I don't have mine sitting in front of me, as I am at work currently, but there are definite differences there. It does seem to have everything mine has, as far as the sensors etc...

BTW...I will be in Raleigh as of April 6 for a couple weeks. I will be back and forth from Mi to Raleigh all summer until the end of August...I will keep you updated because I definitely want to take a peek at you and your son's Jeep!

Jason
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Jason,
It's Dave and when you get in to Raleigh you will look me up!
Send me a PM, we'll figg'r it all all out.
Unread 02-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81CJUSMC View Post
Hi all!

... Another thing that puzzled me...the PO put a screw in the top of the housing to hold open the trap door/flap on the inside. I haven't the faintest idea why...could anyone clue me in? I bet this is why it was rusted out and had white stuff growing in it...

As always, Thanks!

Jason
Heh, I did that on mine also. The vacuum motor on mine died and would not open the inner door. It's kind of important to have the door open to let air into the engine. The door closes when the engine is off keeping the gas fumes trapped inside.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
81CJUSMC
1981 CJ7 

John,

Thanks for the info! I was wondering what the deal was...I wonder what the difference is going to be when I put the thing back onto the Jeep? Well, anyways...I always have extra screws laying around if it doesn't work...LOL Why didn't you just get a new vacuum motor? I am going to guess that they are hard to get by themselves, which probably means you have to get a whole new air cleaner housing...If that is even a possibility?!

Jason
Unread 02-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
cx420ns

Hi guys

I'm looking for the same air cleaner in the article linked to above by Fatman ( http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=261383 ) but I'm not having much luck with Google. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find one? I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.
cx420ns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx420ns View Post
Hi guys

I'm looking for the same air cleaner in the article linked to above by Fatman ( http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=261383 ) but I'm not having much luck with Google. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find one? I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.
CX,
I'll sell you the one I have.
Send me an email through my profile and we'll work out the details.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.