AHHHH! Thought I had this... Differential Guys, Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AHHHH! Thought I had this... Differential Guys, Help!

CHASSIS SAVERô Labor Day 2 for 1 Sale!!!JKS Flex Connect in Actions!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-25-2015, 07:46 AM   #1
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

AHHHH! Thought I had this... Differential Guys, Help!

This is my 2nd time doing this, changing ring and pinion gears. Both axles are/were AMC20s, both were 2.73 to xxx. This one is going to 4.56, and I am installing a Lincoln Locker.

What are these clutch-pak looking thingys!? I don't remember them when I did the 5!

Do they go back in with the Powertrax??

Does it matter that I am missing a retainer clip from one pak?

Side specific???

Is this LSD???

Here's where I am...

As they came out of the carrier...

Missing retainer clip from one side...

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
stgil
1982 CJ7 

Cj

OEM LSD (track loc)... The clip retainer is a mandatory for LSD in order to do is job...

Regards,

Gilles
Unread 08-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgil View Post
OEM LSD (track loc)... The clip retainer is a mandatory for LSD in order to do is job...

Regards,

Gilles
Merci, Gilles. I'm thinking they would NOT be reinstalled with a locker??

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 08-25-2015, 09:25 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Will the powertrax fit in a a LSD housing? an open AMC 20 housing is a little different...

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Will the powertrax fit in a a LSD housing? an open AMC 20 housing is a little different...

Danged if I KNOW John?? I went back and looked at my build where I changed out the gears in Clay's 5. The carrier is MUCH different. Seems like if I don't put the clutch paks back in then the locker will flop side to side inside the carrier.

The locker (same type of locker) in Clay's 5 surely causes excessive tire wear, which I don't like, but also surely gives me the traction I need in the muddy deer woods.

I will GLADLY acquiesce to the advice of you Veterans.

edit* Going back and looking at the pic you posted. I see what you mean. I have not tried to fit it inside yet.

Unread 08-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Might want to check out this thread before you go further...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tr...stion-3349169/
Unread 08-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #7
stgil
1982 CJ7 

Quote:

I'm agree with John !

Regards ,

Gilles
Unread 08-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #8
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Wish I had a picture of Calvin with a black cloud over his head...

Why can't anything in my life just be straight up?

Thank you, John, for the link. I am a bit embarrassed that you have this thread so close to mine. I didn't search before asking my question. Apologies to All...

Just for the game, I am bench installing the locker to "see" what it looks like. The Powertrax install manual makes reference to open diffs. The link included in John's reply is for a Powertrax TL carrier, for ~$500. Which is cool. But I don't have it, even if I pimp myself!

Everything is sitting on the table while wifey is gone. Back in a bit...

Unread 08-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #9
TIPPEDITOVER
In the garage

1978 CJ5 

The PowerTrax is the only lunchbox locker I know of that will fit in the trac lock case and it is stupid expensive at over $500. A full case bulletproof Detroit is only $600ish. PowerTrax can be found in the link below.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16104_101.htm

1978 CJ5 Wheeler
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 all stock daily driver
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
The PowerTrax is the only lunchbox locker I know of that will fit in the trac lock case and it is stupid expensive at over $500. A full case bulletproof Detroit is only $600ish. PowerTrax can be found in the link below.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16104_101.htm
Yeah... thanks, Shaun. I was just coming back to say you CAN easily install a non-TL Lincoln locker in a Trac-Loc carrier, but maybe 3/4" of gap in the middle. So it wouldn't work even if it was done completely by accident.

Guess I am ordering a clutch kit and running it with 4.56s. Unless someone has an open carrier laying around...??

Thanks, All

Unread 08-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #11
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Just as a point of interest...
Q-tec had the clutch pak for $69, while Morris has it for $96. Amazon for just over $100. None of these quotes include shipping. Clutches ordered.

Unread 08-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I'll get a round tuit with putting my 4.11 gears on my trackloc someday.
I know the clutches were good, just need some friction modifier poured in.

Kids keep breaking their cars somehow. Ever try to find an engine for a Mitsubishi Lancer without having it shipped cross country?
Unread 08-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #13
TIPPEDITOVER
In the garage

1978 CJ5 

Try this site to find an engine if you haven't already.

http://www.car-part.com/index.htm

1978 CJ5 Wheeler
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 all stock daily driver
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #14
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I'll get a round tuit with putting my 4.11 gears on my trackloc someday.
I know the clutches were good, just need some friction modifier poured in.

Kids keep breaking their cars somehow. Ever try to find an engine for a Mitsubishi Lancer without having it shipped cross country?
I'll make you a deal on a 258... all you gotta do is pick it up!

I seriously know what it means to finance kids!!

E-mail from Q-tec says BACKORDERED.

WhynthehelldidnttheysaythatwhenIordered???? First such experience I have had with Q-tec. Morris had one set left for $96, but *WAIT*... they price-match. Get it for $69 from Morris, plus $16 S/H, plus sales tax... $90! What's the point...

Any friction modifier you guys particularly like? Yukon Gear has a YT thread that says to soak clutches overnight in FM before assembly. Any comments of further advice??

Unread 08-25-2015, 10:37 PM   #15
Marwis
1981 CJ5 

Skerr,
I believe I have a couple of amc 20 open carriers out in my shop. I know one is for the 2.73 ratio. The other I am not sure of. If you interested give me a part number (I believe there are numbers stamped in the carrier that can be referenced to tell what ratio it is good for) and I will go attempt to dig it out.
Marwis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.