Ahh, I begin looking at the '63 Cj-3b build... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ahh, I begin looking at the '63 Cj-3b build...

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ahh, I begin looking at the '63 Cj-3b build...

I, along with my Jeep truck have a 1963 Cj-3b, which I bought for the transmission only really to swap into the truck. But I have done that now, and have another project to think about.

I bought this Jeep roughly 2 years ago (January 2007) for $600. It had a warn overdrive on a rebuilt transmission, the only real reason I was attracted to it. Some history of this 3b goes like this. It was used as a run to town and back vehicle by a local farm back in the mid 60s till around '79 or so (farm still exists today) It was then sold to another local who "rebuilt' the Jeep in about '83. The rebuild was this: rebuild engine, transmission, transfer case, front, and rear axles, new brakes, wiring harness, extensive body work, new paint, and new suspension. After it was rebuilt, it was only driven about 8,000 miles, then PARKED. I have inspection receipts and they showed mileage starting in '83, when it was rebuilt, till '89, when it was parked. I was told it was parked, because of a death in his family, and no one was around to drive it anymore. It was used as a hunting vehicle, pleasure vehicle for the 6 years it was on the road. However, time and the weather took its toll on this Jeep, the bondo cracked, the paint pealed, the metal rusted, and it, like most Jeeps became the home of creatures.

When I got it home, the first thing I did was clean the filth that had accumulated over 18 Years of sitting. Then payed attention to the f-head engine, which I thought was stuck, but wasn't (a good sign) I dropped in a battery, and by-passed the fuel line and hoped for the best. It turned over, it sputtered, it backfired, and finialy, it started...but not for long, only a few seconds, but only a few seconds was all I wanted. The next day the engine came out, I took the transmission, and moved everything out to where it is now. That happened back in January 2007. Now, with my Truck project winding down, I am looking ahead a bit, and I see big plans for this Jeep.

My dad and I recently went to a Jeep show, and saw a '62 Cj-3b that had a dauntless 6 fit in, with a t-98 transmission, and front and rear dana 44s. My dad became inspired, and had recently been bugging my on beginning, *cough, cough* "his Jeep".

What I have planed for this Jeep is this. New tub, and sheet metal, better axles (and brakes), a small lift, 32s, a t-98, with a D20 transfer case (maybe something else), reinstall the f-head engine (for now), and make a bunch of custom bits for it also.

Heres some pics, because I know you want to see the pics...

Thanks for reading....this is the sneak peek of next build

Unread 11-03-2008, 12:45 AM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Dude, why do you have to live so far away from me????? Give it to me!!!!! No, maybe not. I would become a broken, desperate old man who's wife left him due to "The Other Woman", a fully restored to original Jeep.

I've GOT to stop coming into this section of the forum. It's not healthy for me. I keep getting this strange desire to find a buried-in-a-field old flatfender to restore.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How bad do you want a buried in-a-field flatfender? I know of many, and if I had the time and money I would do them all too. Just look, and you will be surprised as to how many "buried-in-a field" flatfenders are still around. A hint: try looking at farms that have been around since just after WWII.
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Oh, I know. Trust me. Couple of problems, though. I currently work overnight at Walmart and live in an apartment. :lol:
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Yep, there are many an old Jeep buried in barns and stuff down here in Florida. The good part about our southern Jeeps is that a lot of them were used in orange groves and stuff where there's nothing but dry sand, so finding an entirely rust free original specimen isn't that difficult. I have dibs on a 1958 CJ-5 that's still got the original paint with absolutely no rust on the body or frame.
Unread 11-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck. Looks like a project.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
Bren Gun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'll be watching this thread on a daily basis and I'll be surely asking you for pointers here and there as you'll probably have yours finished before mine. Another jeep saved!
Good luck and congratulations on the find.
www.this-old-jeep.com
Bren Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #8
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

snow in Virginia - you lucky dude hahahahah - making this one for a suscribe
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
Renegade86
1986 CJ7 

Another 3B rescued? Count me as subscribed!
Renegade86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks, I think i will start it next spring...that is if my funds are good enough to do so
Unread 11-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #11
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

Dude, your killing me. I envy your time to get the 49 truck finished and now this. One word OUTSTANDING.

77' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok so I have been looking around at the price of things, and have figured about $6000 to "build" it with the stock drivetrain, or about $8000-$10000 to put a dauntless 6 in it.

I think I will build it with the stock drivetrain, then later down the road drop teh 6 in it. I have an engine ready to go (f134) and a tranny which just needs a freshening up (t-90a) and brakes are fine (need new lines and MC and maybe WCs) need to rebuild the carb, and will need a new radiator. From how it looks, most of the work is not mechanical, but cosmetic. Thats also where most of teh money will go. Pushed back to a later date...building a new shop in the spring probably, and summer im most likely moving to PA and going to college. However I could get the thing back on the road, and not care about the body work, for about $1500.

But of course I will need to finish the Truck project, which I hope to be finished by early spring.

Unread 01-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #13
JeepMKD
1970 CJ3B 

Hey Lifesgoodhere

I see you're working on a CJ3B, so I have few questions, if you don't mind

I have a CJ3B assembled in India under the Mahindra nameplate. It's basically all the same, the Dana axles, the 3 speed transmission and the Hurricane engine... But I often have problems with the brakes, mainly with the wheel cylinders. Since it's made in 1970, they have never been changed so they leak and they don't work properly. The real problem is that I'm from Macedonia and Jeep/Willys Parts are not available here. I consider ordering parts from the net, but I'm finding it hard to decide which ones to go with.
I wonder if you could give me an advice which ones to go with, and which company I can thrust. Friend of mine gave me a 2008 Omix-ada catalogue (from a car show in Germany), so I might order from them. What do you think?

Thank you

M A C E D O N I A
JeepMKD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #14
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMKD View Post
Hey Lifesgoodhere

I see you're working on a CJ3B, so I have few questions, if you don't mind

I have a CJ3B assembled in India under the Mahindra nameplate. It's basically all the same, the Dana axles, the 3 speed transmission and the Hurricane engine... But I often have problems with the brakes, mainly with the wheel cylinders. Since it's made in 1970, they have never been changed so they leak and they don't work properly. The real problem is that I'm from Macedonia and Jeep/Willys Parts are not available here. I consider ordering parts from the net, but I'm finding it hard to decide which ones to go with.
I wonder if you could give me an advice which ones to go with, and which company I can thrust. Friend of mine gave me a 2008 Omix-ada catalogue (from a car show in Germany), so I might order from them. What do you think?

Thank you

The few Omix-Ada parts I have bought for my flatfender have been garbage. The seals especially.

Looks like your starting with more then I did.... FWIW I kept mine and narrow tracks (NT D30 and NT Flanged D44), I figured my big YJ would be my wheeler... My YJ has sat parked while I have wheeled the pee out of the very tamely built Willys!

Before:

Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #15
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Talk to my friend Carl at Walcks 4 Wheel Drive, he would probably be willing to ship stuff over seas.

http://www.walcks4wd.com/

I like Rugged Ridge parts. Never had a problem with them...yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.