Aftermarket Fenders--Who Makes Them and How Good Are they? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Aftermarket Fenders--Who Makes Them and How Good Are they?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
jeepaddict1
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Comfort, Tx
Posts: 218
Aftermarket Fenders--Who Makes Them and How Good Are they?

I am considering replacing my flat fenders on my 7 with aftermarket fenders to get back to a more stock look. I have heard that reproduction parts typically have fit and finish issues. Are there some better versions out there or am I stuck buying an inferior product?

Thanks.

jeepaddict1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
pman
Web Wheeler
 
pman's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,241
Try to buy used originals. I replaced both fenders on mine. Drivers side fit perfect, the passenger side is horrific. I still have a noticeable gap btw the firewall and rear of the fender. They are the Cobra King fenders that Quadratec sells.
__________________
88 Wrangler Laredo 258-999-NP231
81/76 CJ5 304-t150-Spicer 20
82 Wagoneer 360-727-NP208
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
walkerhoundvm
Registered User
1981 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Little Apple, KS
Posts: 3,090
Seconded - there must be some good jeep yards near you? If not, there's always eBay or a broad search on Craigslist. Maybe someone would ship?
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
MoC
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The otherside of your monitor...
Posts: 5,649
I'll step on the other side of the fence on this one and say go with aftermarket ones. Yes there are issues with poor quality control and damage while shipping and you will find numerous complaints form folks about them. I think some of the complaints are from people not knowing how to properly fit them.

I ordered 2 aftermarket Crown ones from Quadratrec last December. When they arrived one was piss poor. Some of the bolt holes did not line up and the welds were off. Quadratrec took the bad one back without any problems and sent me out a new one. The replacement was fine. If I were you I would be prepared to send at least one back. Some people report having to enlarge the shock mount cut outs in the inner fender, i didnt. I did have to drill the fender brace holes and in large two of the fender to tub holes. The Crown ones feel just as thick as the OEM ones and look great. No issues what so ever. You just need to make sure you test fit everything before you paint.

The reason I would not go with original replacements is rust. The rust likes hide in the seam behind the wheel opening. 243 aka Dave found that out first hand. He did a knock up body and paint job on his restore only to have the rust bubble out at that location.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #5
pman
Web Wheeler
 
pman's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
I think some of the complaints are from people not knowing how to properly fit them.
MoC- I agree with many of your points, and I also will concur that they are just as sturdy as the originals. I too, had to send back one due to poor packaging/denting during shipment.

I don't think you'd be able to "properly fit" mine; but call me if you're ever in town and I'll let you have at it!
__________________
88 Wrangler Laredo 258-999-NP231
81/76 CJ5 304-t150-Spicer 20
82 Wagoneer 360-727-NP208
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #6
MoC
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The otherside of your monitor...
Posts: 5,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
MoC- I agree with many of your points, and I also will concur that they are just as sturdy as the originals. I too, had to send back one due to poor packaging/denting during shipment.

I don't think you'd be able to "properly fit" mine; but call me if you're ever in town and I'll let you have at it!
I am sure someone like you with years of jeeping and a stable like you have would be able to get them to fit it they do. I meant that as a general comment, not specifically towards you. But.... if your cooking possum I will stop by if I am in am ever in your neck of the woods and see what I can do!!
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #7
responding
Registered User
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Twin Hills, Oklahoma
Posts: 5
Anyone else have experience with other brands? I'm going to be replacing my front clip soon.
responding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
243
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
I'll step on the other side of the fence on this one and say go with aftermarket ones. Yes there are issues with poor quality control and damage while shipping and you will find numerous complaints form folks about them. I think some of the complaints are from people not knowing how to properly fit them.

I ordered 2 aftermarket Crown ones from Quadratrec last December. When they arrived one was piss poor. Some of the bolt holes did not line up and the welds were off. Quadratrec took the bad one back without any problems and sent me out a new one. The replacement was fine. If I were you I would be prepared to send at least one back. Some people report having to enlarge the shock mount cut outs in the inner fender, i didnt. I did have to drill the fender brace holes and in large two of the fender to tub holes. The Crown ones feel just as thick as the OEM ones and look great. No issues what so ever. You just need to make sure you test fit everything before you paint.

The reason I would not go with original replacements is rust. The rust likes hide in the seam behind the wheel opening. 243 aka Dave found that out first hand. He did a knock up body and paint job on his restore only to have the rust bubble out at that location.

I spent weeks of time tearing those fenders apart in an attempt to kill the rust and felt confident that I would slow it down, stripped to bare metal, sprayed with epoxy on both sides, glued rather than welded back together and having it bubble through before the Jeep is even on the road is a major bummer.

I would not use original fenders again unless they were NOS and the same goes for the windshield frame.
__________________
You can't sit at the big boy table if you are gonna whine like a girl...M
243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?
 
HALOjmpr's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Waukeenah, FL
Posts: 353
I may be willing to trade OEM fenders and grill for rio and Merriam turkey hunting . Anyone? Especially in Kansas, Nebraska or South Dakota.
__________________
"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!"

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
walkerhoundvm
Registered User
1981 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Little Apple, KS
Posts: 3,090
How 'bout I give you a lead on the easiest Rio turkey hunting in Kansas ever? DIY, all you need is a small game/turkey permit and a KDWP parks pass. Within three days you'll have a bird
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?
 
HALOjmpr's Avatar
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Waukeenah, FL
Posts: 353
I already have the info on DIY for SD and NEB and Kansas Best friend and I are planning a Grand Slam in one season trip in the next year or two .... a little insurance never hurts Sorry for the thread takeover ... dang birds get me as fired up as jeeps. I will release the thread hostage unharmed!
__________________
"It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward!"

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
pman
Web Wheeler
 
pman's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
I am sure someone like you with years of jeeping and a stable like you have would be able to get them to fit it they do. I meant that as a general comment, not specifically towards you. But.... if your cooking possum I will stop by if I am in am ever in your neck of the woods and see what I can do!!
!! MoC, I'm glad you took it as a friendly "poke". Later today when I was on an airplane flying home (and couldn't get my wifi to work to hop on the forum), I started thinking that possibly my message may have come across wrong.

I'll have some braised coon and possum meat for ya if you give me advance notice!
__________________
88 Wrangler Laredo 258-999-NP231
81/76 CJ5 304-t150-Spicer 20
82 Wagoneer 360-727-NP208
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Bojon
Registered User
1981 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canon City, Colorado
Posts: 457
I'm going to be using the fenders I have, though they are somewhat pitted. I've been watching the MD Juan thread, hopefully by the time I'm ready for new fenders they will have near perfect parts, and I'll just go with those.
__________________
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/1981-cj5-frame-up-1141648/"]My CJ5 Build[/URL]

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #14
jeepaddict1
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Comfort, Tx
Posts: 218
Thanks for all of the input guys!
jeepaddict1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
Hawk4097
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Posts: 189
I have been hit twice on the same left fender and put two aftermarket fenders on it. They are just fine with only one issue. The lip in the front where it bends near the grill isnt as long as the original so it cracks from vibration. So If you go aftermarket reinforce it with a little sheet metal.
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.