Advise on putting the jeep body together - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Advise on putting the jeep body together

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 11-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
stephens_cj5
1981 CJ5 

Advise on putting the jeep body together

Need some advise on putting the jeep back together. I attached some pictures so you can see where I was and what I have now.

- Should I use seam sealer under the hinges or some sort of gasket?
- Should I attach the hinges prior to painting?
- Has anyone used Quietcar (http://quietcoat.stores.yahoo.net/) instead of Dynamat?
- I plan to use Raptor in the tub and need to know if there is a risk of applying it to the top edges of the tub. The idea is to help prevent scratches.
- What do I use between the fenders and tub? Again I was thinking about some gasket material.

Keep in mind this is my first attempt at this but its damn near impossible to get the waves out of these tubs.

1981 CJ5 ground up restro in progress, finished product will have: 4.2 w/ a 4.0 head conversion, headers, Howell TBI, HEI, D300, AMC 20, D30, 3" lift w/ 33x12.50 BFG. All new hardware, all diffs rebuilt.
stephens_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Slawth
Master Rebater

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephens_cj5 View Post
Need some advise on putting the jeep back together. I attached some pictures so you can see where I was and what I have now.

- Should I use seam sealer under the hinges or some sort of gasket?NO
- Should I attach the hinges prior to painting?I would paint them separately since you have gone this far.
- Has anyone used Quietcar (http://quietcoat.stores.yahoo.net/) instead of Dynamat?
- I plan to use Raptor in the tub and need to know if there is a risk of applying it to the top edges of the tub. The idea is to help prevent scratches.
- What do I use between the fenders and tub?NothingAgain I was thinking about some gasket material.I would not. You are only going to trap water causing premature rust out in the future.

Keep in mind this is my first attempt at this but its damn near impossible to get the waves out of these tubs. They didn't bother to do so from the factory. You'll about kill yourself trying to get them perfect in your garage,lol.
Nice work. What color are you painting it?
Slawth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

No gaskets between fenders. Just paint.

Speaking of, just make sure you have paint under the hinges, Either paint under-install-paint all. or paint entire hinge-install after paint of bdy. Either works.

Dont use any silicon gasket or sealers.

As for waves... they can be done. bondo...sand...repeat. easier said than done, eh?

Also... Fit all first if you bought new fenders or hood. Aftermarket sucks, they are always off a tad.
Project "Vote Utilitarian"
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
neals80
1980 CJ7 

use a best type bondo from bondo now owned by 3M...like a marson premium filler...it is about $30 a gallon but will
sand better and last forever....

IF I WANTED A HUMMER I WOULD HAVE CALLED YOUR GIRLFRIEND!!
neals80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

When doing a restoration, the bodywork is usually the most time consuming.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
stephens_cj5
1981 CJ5 

I used Rage bondo and it seemed to have worked well. It was easy enough to sand and work with. And yes the body work is and was the most time consuming. Thats where I hope to make my money.
1981 CJ5 ground up restro in progress, finished product will have: 4.2 w/ a 4.0 head conversion, headers, Howell TBI, HEI, D300, AMC 20, D30, 3" lift w/ 33x12.50 BFG. All new hardware, all diffs rebuilt.
stephens_cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
my84cj7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephens_cj5 View Post
I used Rage bondo and it seemed to have worked well. It was easy enough to sand and work with. And yes the body work is and was the most time consuming. Thats where I hope to make my money.
Rage is the best bondo to use, and trust me I have tried them all. Get rage extreme because it sands a little better, but if you can't get that get rage gold it works well too. You can also get some glaze putty for when you get closer to being finished, and when you are ready to put some skim coats on. This mixes the same as bondo but you need to let it dry until it gets pretty hard but with some 80grit it sands pretty smooth and will help you get it fairly straight before you apply your primer. I can go into where to get this stuff and what is the best primer also if you need me too, just let me know.
my84cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.