Advice welcome: Oil in Air Cleaner; Cylinder 5 low compression - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Advice welcome: Oil in Air Cleaner; Cylinder 5 low compression

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #1
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Advice welcome: Oil in Air Cleaner; Cylinder 5 low compression

This post is actually on my 88 "Wrongler", but since the carb'd 4.2 is so much more prevalent in the CJ's (and this is where I like to hang out), I felt this would be a good place to ask.

Around 15 years ago I put an Autozone remanufactured engine in the Wrangler. Engine was reman'd by a company called Recon. I have roughly 50k on this motor, and about a year ago I started noticing oil in the air cleaner along with leaking valve cover gaskets, oil pan, rms, etc. At first I suspected a faulty PCV system, so I replaced the valve, and checked the plumbing and all was good. When that didn't help, I checked for vac leaks and again, all good, but still oil in the cleaner. After reading up on this site I knew my next step was a compression test. So FINALLY this weekend I wasn't busy tinkering with any of the other Heeps, and decided to pull the plugs and test. I noticed a cold plug on #5, and sure enough, when I tested compression, all cylinders were around 122-128 but #5 was 60!!! Now, I had also read that the next step is to pour a little oil on top of that piston and see if it raises the number up to confirm bad rings. Guess what Mr Brilliant forgot to do before putting new plugs in and closing the hood? Yep! Didn't try that test.

With that being said, I do plan on pulling all of the plugs again and seeing if the number goes up on 5 with a little oil in the cylinder.

A couple of questions:

-How is this engine even running worth a hoot with that low of compression on that one cylinder? It idles wonderfully.

-If it is the rings on this cylinder, what is the best option? Tear it down and re-ring that one cylinder, or is it time for a full rebuild?

Fuel economy is horrific. My gearing is bad, but it was at around 12mpg and has since dropped to around 8-9 mpg mixed use. I see NO SMOKE from the tailpipe.

The sick thing is that I'm sitting around licking my chops thinking of a plopping a nice stroker in this puppy , but that's just silly. This rig is one of my primary hunting vehicles, so I'm not looking for raw horsepower, just reliability.

I'm open for all thoughts! Thanks!!

Pearsall

82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:12 AM   #2
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

First relax, the low cylinder could just be a fluke, if it were me I would rent a leak down tester and do a compression check and a leak down test on a warm engine. Depending on the results of the test you should have an idea which way your headed.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

My #5 went out also and the symptoms were high blow by like yours. I found a low mileage 4.0 HO from a rusted out 93 Grand Cherokee for $100.00, put all my CJ stuff (intake, carb, ignition and V-belt system) on it over a weekend and have been running that for the last 5 years. I also had to buy an electric fuel pump for $50.00 and another $50.00 to hook up the 4.0 header to the CJ pipe.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:45 AM   #4
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=gmakra;29224153]First relax, QUOTE]

Gmakra, do I sound excited? Actually, I'm not terribly worked up about it, just curious what the best "plan of attack" should be, but definitely will take your advice on further testing.

Mike- I think I stumbled across your story with the 4.0, and that's definitely a good sounding option. I may pick your brain a bit more about that one if I go that route!

From what I've been able to understand is, if the rings are bad on that one piston, does it not make any sense at all to put new rings on that specific piston? Looks like I have to tear the motor down to get to it, so I'm suspecting that's why people recommend a full rebuild/replacement at that point?
Unread Yesterday, 10:03 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

All your rings need refreshing, you have very low compression all across. My good cylinders were in the 150 psi range.
You can just do one though, if it comes up even, then ok, but if it goes back like new, it should be 150+ which isn't real good, that stresses the bottom end. The compressions are supposed to be within 15 of each other.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread Yesterday, 11:48 AM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Compression spec for the 258 is 120-140. So the OP is on the low side, but within spec, in all but the one cylinder.

I'd do the leak down, as George suggested, to isolate the problem, then go from there.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #7
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses, gents! I'll keep you posted!
Unread Yesterday, 12:20 PM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Compression spec for the 258 is 120-140. So the OP is on the low side, but within spec, in all but the one cylinder.

I'd do the leak down, as George suggested, to isolate the problem, then go from there.

Matt
No wonder my Jeep has run so well, all 3 engines I have had in her had 150-155 compressions.
Unread Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #9
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
do a compression check and a leak down test on a warm engine.
George: I started thinking about this. I did the test on a cold engine (read on this or the IFSJA forum that cold was fine, but now realizing this was probably bad advice). It may be the reason why it's a little rough for a few seconds on cold startup, then seems to smooth right on out (I had originally coughed it up to the choke being out of adjustment, but I've got the carb dialed in nicely).

I'll do the leakdown test and update. I always enjoy learning as I go along, and just read up on the various ways that specific test can help you diagnose issues.

Thanks again George, Matt and Mike.
Unread Yesterday, 02:31 PM   #10
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Oil in the air cleaner is usually a faulty PVC valve. A real simple cheap fix.
Unread Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #11
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

billiebob-

You'll have to read my original post at the top. I ruled that out right away. I certainly wish that was the problem!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.