Advice on Replacing Rear Tub Mounts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Advice on Replacing Rear Tub Mounts

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Marca
1980 CJ7 

Advice on Replacing Rear Tub Mounts

All,

I've got some pretty rough rear tub mounts on my 80 CJ-7 (imagine that).

I'm trying to figure out how to tackle them - I know I'll probably have to replace the channels where they attach to the floor, but I can't seem to find those channels for sale anywhere - anyone have tips?

Also, in a perfect world, I'd like to be able to jack the tub up, cut out the channels, and weld in new ones with mounts without having to totally remove the tub. Has anyone done this?

Some pics below to give everyone a better idea:

Thanks in advance,

Marca

PS if anyone in the Austin area wants to help out with this little project, I can do 3D renders of your jeep with any color/mod you're thinking about...just sayin...

Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Those look like pictures from the Titanic.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Marca
1980 CJ7 

Ha I was thinking the same thing...the texture is really old rhino liner the PO had sprayed everywhere
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

If it looks that bad, and if you can do without the CJ for a while, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to take the tub off and do all the proper repairs. No doubt all the mounts, body and chassis, could use some TLC.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Fabricating new channels, or fabricating repair patches on the channels isn't too difficult to do. Cut out the spot welds if necessary, remove the bad section, fabricate, and weld in the new piece. You will have to make new nut cages too.

There's more pics in my build thread if the pics help in any way.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.