Advice on paint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Advice on paint

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
00rooster
1977 CJ5 

Advice on paint

I'm doing a full body off restoration job on a '77 CJ. The tub was pretty well shot, and debated about just buying a new one, but didn't want to part with the bones to get one. And since I'm handy with a welder I am tackling the job myself. Its been an interesting process, but I'm getting closer to the painting part of it.

This isn't going to be a showroom jeep, its will be a trail-runner so I don't care about glossing or flawless finishes. Practicality trumps appearance.

Does rhino lining under the tub work good? This jeep will be almost exclusively driven on dirt and gravel roads. I want to paint it to look like a Humvee, with the flat sand/tan color. I've done some reading on the CARC that they paint Humvees with and it looks like something that I wouldn't want to do in my shop. Can you paint over rhino lining? because I'd like to rhino line my floor too, but don't want my floors black.

I have an air compressor and simple paint gun, so I could just buy a couple of gallons of flat tan Rust-o-leum, any other options?
If I took it to a paint shop how much does that CARC cost? will it break the bank, or is it reasonable.

00rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I used Valspar dark green metallic on my CJ 7. I wanted it to look ok but I drive it all over the place. DD,trail rider,mud pits,etc. Paint was 35.00/gal plus the reducer and hardener. I actually spent more money on my urethane primer than my paint. Was easy to do in my home garage. Its not perfect,but it looks ok and I'M happy with it.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Btw prep is probably more important that anything else. The better the prep the better the outcome.

I also used a spray-on undercoating on the bottom of my cj,from advanced auto.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Personally, I wouldn't want to paint it with any color or any product that I couldn't readily find touch up paint for at the local auto parts store. If you like the desert color, I think Jeep offered a Desert Sand color OEM. Most of those paints can be sprayed by the home gamer with good prep and basic equipment.
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

use a satin finish paint. hides the scratches and imperfections very well. buy a quart or two, then just a couple of spray cans of the same color for touch ups after trail riding. mine has held up very well for over 5 years now. it's on my ranger pu. i will be using satin paint again this summer for my cj5. lots of colors available in satin.
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #6
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

When I get to painting mine I plan on use paint from Tractor supply. Only about $35 a gallon. You can buy hardener which will reduce the dry time dramaiclly. Stuff is tough. It also comes in spray can so you can touch it up. I plan to use the color International Harvester White which is actually Tan
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00rooster View Post
I'm doing a full body off restoration job on a '77 CJ. The tub was pretty well shot, and debated about just buying a new one, but didn't want to part with the bones to get one. And since I'm handy with a welder I am tackling the job myself. Its been an interesting process, but I'm getting closer to the painting part of it.

This isn't going to be a showroom jeep, its will be a trail-runner so I don't care about glossing or flawless finishes. Practicality trumps appearance.

Does rhino lining under the tub work good? This jeep will be almost exclusively driven on dirt and gravel roads. I want to paint it to look like a Humvee, with the flat sand/tan color. I've done some reading on the CARC that they paint Humvees with and it looks like something that I wouldn't want to do in my shop. Can you paint over rhino lining? because I'd like to rhino line my floor too, but don't want my floors black.

I have an air compressor and simple paint gun, so I could just buy a couple of gallons of flat tan Rust-o-leum, any other options?
If I took it to a paint shop how much does that CARC cost? will it break the bank, or is it reasonable.
If you want CARC without the insane CARC costs, read through this thread: LINK I aint done it personally on my M35, but I have seen the results. Its pretty close.
1955 M35A2 6x6
locohosa is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.