Advice Needed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Advice Needed!

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
jfite
1984 CJ7 

Advice Needed!

I've read hundreds of post on here about lift kits, but can't find the answer. I'm going to lift my 84 CJ7 with a black diamond 3" lift. I notice that there is no transfer case lowering kit and no drop pitman arm with the package. Do I need to pick these items up separately or are they not needed for the 3 in. lift? Also, is anybody running 33's under this lift? I want my COG as low as I can get it, just wondering.

jfite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
danattherock
1981 CJ7 

We are in the same boat. I am looking at the same kit for my 81 CJ. From what little info I have gotten, it appears that the pittman arm and what not are not needed with this 3" kit and that it will work with 33's. Which is my plan as well. I have read where one guy did a 1" body lift along with the BD 3" kit. Not sure if he was rubbing or not before the 1" body lift. I am going to do this BD 3" kit and put 33's on. I think we are in good shape, but like I said, I only know what I have recently read.
danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
jfite
1984 CJ7 

Hey what gears do you have. I just found out my jeep has 3.31's and that worries me. I'm not sure how it's gonna perform. I don't trail much, but want performance if I need it!
Unread 01-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
danattherock
1981 CJ7 

I am not the best person to give that advice. Kind of on the fence myself with changing gears. I believe I have 3.54 and I am hoping it will work out ok with the 33's. If I were to switch, I would skip right over 3.73 and get 4.11. But I only use mine on the trails at times. Mostly on the road. Not sure if the gear change will be needed. I will drive it with the 33's and decide then. If/when I regear, I will be getting the one piece Moser rear axle shaft for sure. A well known weak point for off roading with the CJ. I say drive it and see what you think. That is what I will do anyway.
danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
cmvash
1973 CJ5 

You shouldn't need to drop your tc with only 3" of lift. You can drive it with the stock pitman arm, but you may encounter some bumpsteer. I run a 3" lift and fit 33s just fine under my CJ5 with 3.54 gears both on and off the road. You could run 35s on 3.54 gears but don't expect to be in love with it.

I wouldn't waste the money buying low gears for the D30 front axle(unless you plan to wheel it alot) as anything larger than a 35" tire is going to grenade the axle.
cmvash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #6
jfite
1984 CJ7 

Thanks fellas. So, this bumpsteer, what exactly will I encounter? I'm a noob and am not real sure what that means! Is there any way around it?
Unread 01-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

I am also considering the 3in lift. What about drive shafts, does anything need to be done, will there be excess stress in the u joints? Or any other problems that we may encounter?
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 04:29 AM   #8
Joe_CJ5
1981 CJ5 

My 3 inch Black Diamond is on its way, i am going to run 31s. I will take pictures as I install the lift and I will surly jump on here if I have any troubles. I have to buy a new drive shaft because I destroyed mine with a heavy right foot. Good luck with your lift.
Joe_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.