Advice on CJ project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Advice on CJ project

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-02-2002, 03:41 PM   #1
I-Man

Advice on CJ project

This is my first time on this site. The advice I seek is three-fold:

1)I am planning a to equip a CJ7 with stainless steel body panels. I have sourced every aspect of the body except for the doors. Could anyone recommend someone they think would consider creating stainless steel door panels for the full & half doors?

2)I am looking to equip my jeep with a Corvette 350 TPI. I enjoy the power and flexibility that this motor provides (over the stock motor.) My jeep will be a daily driver. Any comments on this choice of engine, difficulty with mounting, etc?

3)Although I like the rough ride the original CJs had, I wouldn't mind shocks that, perhaps, would offer a ride more resembling that of the modern TJ. My jeep will be used for lighter off-road use, but mainly for city & highway. Any suggestions on this front?

Much appreciation for any advice,

Ian

I-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2002, 10:00 AM   #2
CJ Lover

the 350 is a great engine to put into your Jeep. it aint a very hard conversion. you just need new engine mounts (which you can fabricate yourself or buy) and a new bellhousing assembly.

suspension wise, i think you should go with a skyjacker kit. it gives a nice smooth highway ride and great articulation off road
Unread 02-03-2002, 03:49 PM   #3
Jeep CJ5

Just a quick thought....if you are going thru the expense and trouble of stainless panels why not go spend a bit more and put on a new body?

How bad is the current body? Will (if any is there) the body rot just get worse? In the future will you lk back and wish you had changed the body?

You are going as far as putting a 350 in her so this sounds like a serious project. I think you have the right idea trying to plan out the project in advance.

It seems when you start building a Jeep w/o knowing exactly what you are going to do it: A. seems endless and B. goes in multiple directions.

Now.....how about those rears????

Good luck!!

Billy
Unread 02-03-2002, 11:14 PM   #4
JIM79CJ7

I would seriously consider a shackle reversal kit. I went with the warrior kit it is the biggest improvement I made to my jeep. I can tell you it's a great improvement over any suspension you choose .
GOODLUCK ,JIM

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2002, 02:36 PM   #5
CJ5.0

Quote:
Originally posted by JIM79CJ7:
I would seriously consider a shackle reversal kit. I went with the warrior kit it is the biggest improvement I made to my jeep. I can tell you it's a great improvement over any suspension you choose .
GOODLUCK ,JIM
Hi Jim,
Did that warrior reversal kit raise the height of your cj? I was thinking of getting one but I didn't want the front raised any higher than the back.
Chip
CJ5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2002, 02:27 PM   #6
T Hoff
1975 CJ5 

I don't know the mood of this sight but have you considered fiberglas Tub? SOme manufacturers make a very rigid tub not like the racing thin skins.
No more rust. My body is six years old and there is no sign of problems.

What were you going to use for a Trani? TH350? or some manual setup?
I have the Chevy 350 345Hp Crate motor in my CJ5 with a turbo 350 trani. It's similar to the Vette motor: Aluminum heads high rise manafold etc. Advanced Adaptors makes a very basic bolt and weld on motor mount for small blocks.
I haven't played with my suspension It still has the rough ride from the 9 leafs springs. But I love it.
the 1991 X is my newbie with 331K on the clock: bought OCT.'03 with 183K
http://home.lyse.net/brox/TonyPage4.html
T Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.