Additives that perform - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Additives that perform

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
RustyRenegade
1980 CJ5 

Additives that perform

Although I don't expect a large reply turnout for this thread seeing as how I don't have many posts...I was going to try to get some opinions from the knowledgable following of jeepforum.

I'm curious about additives that you guys use. I've always thought that the guys selling these various snake oils are just after a dollar and that as long as people think it will help then it will sell. Are there any additives that you guys always use? Lucas, seafoam, slick 50, injector cleaner? I had a customer at the dealership today ask about a transmission additive that contained whale semen???

What do you guys swear by?

RustyRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
Scooter402
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRenegade View Post
Although I don't expect a large reply turnout for this thread seeing as how I don't have many posts...I was going to try to get some opinions from the knowledgable following of jeepforum.

I'm curious about additives that you guys use. I've always thought that the guys selling these various snake oils are just after a dollar and that as long as people think it will help then it will sell. Are there any additives that you guys always use? Lucas, seafoam, slick 50, injector cleaner? I had a customer at the dealership today ask about a transmission additive that contained whale semen???

What do you guys swear by?
BWAAHAHAHAHA!

Now that's a new one on me.... Wow...

Nope, I don't use any crazy additives...I beat the hell out of my junk. I don't use any high-speed, low-drag, whizzy-go-fast "race transmission fluid" in my TH350...Just plain old Type F. Turn over that bottle of B&M Trick Shift next time you pick one up and read the label.

I mix up my own race fuel, too...I used to run the $7-$8 per gallon 110 octane race fuel...now I run a 2/3 mix of 93 pump swill and E85. Works like a charm.
Scooter402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

oh ya, to get her started sometimes i spray a shot of carb cleaner down the intake, works like a charm
Matt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
heckyl
1983 CJ7 

Been testing - LS1 Performance Information read this thread. i've been using this in a tbi350,3.8 v6, and amc360 for about a year. all of them run smoother, get better milage, and the valve covers and plugs in the 350 look like new. good luck
heckyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
nedmoore

1982 CJ7 

BG additives seemed to work well on my rover..
nedmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

BG has terrific fuel injector cleaning systems and solvents, but for the occasional maintenance on a CJ fuel system I like to use a little Lucas brand cleaner...and change the fuel filter frequently.

For all other oils (diff oil, T-case oil, tranny oil, & engine oil) I use Lucas oil stabilizer as per instructions on the bottle. It does something to the oil that makes it stick to parts better and creep over adjacent parts more. It's hard to explain and I'm no engeneer. There are displays at most common auto parts stores with some gears stacked and a crank on the bottom one. It's a side by side comparison and you can actually see the oil creep and transfer tot the top gear in the one with the Lucas added to the oil.

In my engine I use additives that have a high concentration of ZDDP. there are several brands out there but it wont be found in the auto parts stores. It's an engine break in additive. Can be gotten at speed shops and thu sumitt Racing. Diesal oils have a higher concentration of this substance but not enough these days. It helps keep flat tappet cams and lifters from prematurely wearing. This ZDDP can clog your cat converter, but My rig doesnt have one.

In vehicles with emissions equip and converters I like to use a product called Restore. It has something in it that will fill microscopic scratches in metal and make it slick. It's supposed to increase the compression in worn cylinders and It's worked good for me for as long as I can remember.
jeepmaster03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 03:37 AM   #7
frank c
1981 CJ5 

I've been using Marvel Mystery Oil for years in all my vehicles, in the gas and every 3rd or 4th oil chg. I add some in place of a little oil.
I've got about 120,00 miles on one of the engines with this routine just pull the oil cap an look inside you won't believe the difference from another engine without having used it, no accumulation of sludge to be seen.
frank c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 04:17 AM   #8
Rollingalong
1980 CJ5 

I like a little Seafoam now and them on the high mileage stuff...
Rollingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

i use lucas oil stablizer in my old chevy truck, 350 engine, it had a tic in the motor, after lucas the tic was gone, still runs great and holds about 45-50 psi oil pressure.

I treat all my vehicles to seafoam fuel cleaner about twice a year.

my old jeep 4 banger has a sticky valve, the only thing that keeps it going is synthetic oil and 1/2 qt of Marvel mystery oil, nothing else other than a head job will stop the valve from sticking.

I use shell rotella 15w40 motor oil and lucas oil stablizer in the old tired farm tractor and with this combination the oil guage stands straight in the normal range.

I believe the following additives are worth the cost:
seaform for fuel system cleaning,
lucas oil stablizer for increase oil pressure and quieten an older engine,
marvel mystery oil to stop a sticky valve
synthetic oil has better lube properties but it cost more.

just my 2 cents!!!!!!!
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 05:56 AM   #10
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

There are a couple of additives that DO ACTUALLY WORK.
Most are just 'Snake Oil'...

One is the transmission seal conditioner sold by GM dealerships.
Works pretty good on tired transmissions to stop leaks and slipping clutches.
Keep in mind that it's a stop gap and doesn't take the place of actually replacing the worn parts...

Another is the 'Friction Modifier' used in clutch type 'Posi' or 'Limited Slip' differentials.

All the other stuff I stay away from.
You wouldn't believe the crap I've cleaned out of engines from people dumping in 'Miracle Cures' down through the years...
Radiators and head gasket water holes plugged up from 'Radiator Fix', oil systems gobbed up with 'Miracle Oil', ect.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #11
RustyRenegade
1980 CJ5 

Hammer, you don't know the part number for that GM additive do you? I worked at a GM dealer for a while and don't remember selling anything like that.

I build lock cylinders alot where I work now and I know what you mean about people using cure alls. Everytime it seems one is brought in, it's been soaked with wd40, pb blaster, or equivalent. I even had a guy bring one in that he'd stuffed full of bearing grease. People are nuts
Unread 03-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #12
twmattox

Personally, I worry about the decreased levels of ZDDP in oil. So, I add a bit of STP (contains extra ZDDP). There are other products out there that contain it too...

Basically, it is a lubricant for our flat tappet engines. The EPA has demanded lower concentrations in oil for a number of emissions reasons... Newer engines (with rollers) aren't as affected by the reduced amount.
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmattox View Post
Personally, I worry about the decreased levels of ZDDP in oil. So, I add a bit of STP (contains extra ZDDP). There are other products out there that contain it too...

Basically, it is a lubricant for our flat tappet engines. The EPA has demanded lower concentrations in oil for a number of emissions reasons... Newer engines (with rollers) aren't as affected by the reduced amount.
I see a bunch of 'Hub Bub' made about the zinc levels in oil...
Nothing to it I can see.
No failures breaking in new cams, no cold start wear beyond what you normally see.

Just a marketing ploy by the guys still pumping zinc in their oils.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
RustyRenegade
1980 CJ5 

Does anyone here use the chrysler injector cleaner? I heard about that stuff long before I worked here and I sell a ton of it. The techs here run it in their personal vehicles and claim it's great. P/N 4318007
Unread 03-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #15
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmattox View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
I see a bunch of 'Hub Bub' made about the zinc levels in oil...
Nothing to it I can see.
No failures breaking in new cams, no cold start wear beyond what you normally see.

Just a marketing ploy by the guys still pumping zinc in their oils.

I did a bunch of reading and looking around about a year ago. The cam manufactures talk about it on their web sites. Discuss that the mfg. tolerances are better, the heat treating is better, and they were getting about 10 times the failure rate of flat tappet/cams then prior to the zdph / motor oil change. My neighbor classic goat owner said it has been all over the classic car magazines for a few years prior to my CJ work 2-3 years ago. From what I READ there appears to be truth to this?

I did have one lifter squeeking some..... I changed to the Shell Rotella and never heard it squeek again after that. If not Shell Rotella I would use Valvoline.

Off Road, racing type oils still have the zdph, zinc phosphate, and have not been removed by govt mandates.

JH.... I think you got it going on big time. I think this, Motor Oil, is still a issue so you suprised me with the comment above? The additives to the std motor oils are improving. I would also say your pre lube, assembly, and start up process are better than 98% of the rest of us... maybe that is part of it too??

Man... I wish oil was 29 cents a quart again.

Chemicals... do not use much?

I have used SeaFoam & Stabil
into carb to clean carbon & junk off valves/seats etc from older engines
as fuel stabilizer for storage... usually use stabile

Cheveron Techron..
As fuel injector cleaner via gas. Got good recommendation from C. Reports about 10 yrs ago. When on sale dirt cheap I will buy a few. Use 1-3/yr.
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.