Additional fuel filter ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Additional fuel filter ?

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 01-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
kmm

Additional fuel filter ?

Was thinking on adding an additional fuel filter set up. This is on a stock 1979, 304 engine. Was wondering about placing a filter between tank and fuel pump. Currently has stock filter after fuel pump between carb. I guess there is also something in tank?(stock 15 gal.)

Is there any benefits or downfalls to doing this? If beneficial can anyone recommend a type of filter for this? Is inline ok or a cannister type better?

Also has anyone else done this? Any pictures of set-ups?

Thanks

kmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Your pump is a suction style of pump that is supposed to have a filter on it's pressure side only. Having a filter on the suction side can be problematic when the filter gets old. The pump will have to work very hard to try and suck through this old filter. Pushing pressure through an old filter is easier on it and normal.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

You should already have a sock type filter on your fuel pick in the fuel tank.

What Mike said X2

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
OlivergreenCJ7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm View Post
Was thinking on adding an additional fuel filter set up. This is on a stock 1979, 304 engine. Was wondering about placing a filter between tank and fuel pump. Currently has stock filter after fuel pump between carb. I guess there is also something in tank?(stock 15 gal.)

Is there any benefits or downfalls to doing this? If beneficial can anyone recommend a type of filter for this? Is inline ok or a cannister type better?

Thanks
If the reason is because your getting sediment in your gas. It might be time to drop and flush the gas tank out or just replace it.
Unread 01-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
desert_driller
1983 CJ7 

I agree with Mike, jfwireless, olivegreenCJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm View Post

Thanks
I too was thinking that the filter was letting stuff get into my carb so I cut it open to see what magic goes on in that metal cylinder. Looks very substantial to me.

Just in case, I added this separator before the fuel pump. We will see how it works out.

I also put a clear plastic fuel filter between the carb vent line and the charcoal canister. Just in case any charcoal was coming in the back way.

As you can see, I put filters in all of the lines.
Unread 01-10-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
CJ258
1974 CJ5 

Years ago I had a '73 Scout II with a fuel filter just after the tank. It looked like an aftermarket oil filter relocater arrangement. Frame mounted with a spin on oil type filter. I changed it once and cut it open to find it full of rust and fine sand from the tank.
CJ258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #7
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Another reason to not have the filter in front of the pump is vapor-lock. The restriction of the filter with the pump trying to pull fuel thru it causes more of a negative pressure on the fuel.

You can make water boil are room temperature with enough vacuum. Same with Fuel. Why aid that nasty vapor issue because of mistrust of the current filter you have on it.

If anything, put another clear plastic one after the stock one. This will let you see easily if anything is getting thru the first one. If there isn't, remove the extra restriction of flow to the carb.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.