Adding in-tank fuel pump to CJ sending unit - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Adding in-tank fuel pump to CJ sending unit

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-24-2014, 11:25 AM   #16
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post

There is a ton of junk rubber out there. I will not even buy regular fuel line anymore on the Weatherhead FI rated stuff. Weatherhead is good stuff but I cannot say that it is rated for ethanol. Even if the liner is the exterior is likely formulated for UV/ozone resistance and may not handle ethanol.
If I was going to have a piece submerged, I think I would give a chunk of it a good soak in gas with ethanol first from what I am seeing. If it goes soft, then I sure wouldn't trust it.

Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 11:37 AM   #17
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtle77 View Post
How about this stuff, guys?

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=17700

Specs say it'll handle just about any fuel situation. Even if pricey, you won't need much.
The liner will handle anything, the cover looks good but does not specifically list ethanol. I check the Weatherhead and its cover is not suitable for polar solvents. The Hypalon may be better.

You could also just use the nylon fuel line. It will be tough to get on but it will last forever.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #18
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtle77 View Post
How about this stuff, guys?

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=17700

Specs say it'll handle just about any fuel situation. Even if pricey, you won't need much.
The liner looks fine, its the covering that would worry me. It, CSM or hapalon is alcohol resistant all right, but rates poor to fair against petroleum products from what I found.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #19
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dborns View Post
I looked at other pumps on ebay and rockauto, and most come with a pigtail which mine didn't. I may have to look at what years the pump I have are installed in and try to pull one from a junkyard.
Spend some time on the internet doing searches for Walbro pumps and you might find a supplier that will have all the parts you need.

The short section of rubber fuel line I got from the company I used, was certified for in-tank use, all fuel.
Unread 08-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #20
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Spend some time on the internet doing searches for Walbro pumps and you might find a supplier that will have all the parts you need
I found some wiring for the Walbro pumps, but have a question on those. On this pigtail, is the terminal end what goes to your vehicle wiring harness, with the black and red wire going down into the tank to connect to the two screws on the pump, or is it the other way around, and the terminal connects to one on the pump?
mh791fmnlpwsz8yj0f3fffa.jpg

Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #21
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

My other option is that I have the complete vehicle wiring harness from the '96 cherokee that I got the motor from. I'll take a look at it and see if it has the wiring/ connection for the sending unit. I can then go to the JY and IIRC, the sending unit on the cherokees is real easy to get to, so I can pull the sending unit from one, and get the wiring harness off of the fuel pump. As long as that connection looks like it'll work with the Ford fuel pump I have, which just has two small screws on it, I can connect the cherokee wiring to the Ford pump.
Unread 08-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #22
4S50
1984 CJ7 

For mine I got submersible gas line at NAPA auto parts. Normal fuel line is only coated on the inside with gas resistant coating, the submersible is coated inside and out, and is expensive.
4S50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 03:44 AM   #23
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
On this pigtail, is the terminal end what goes to your vehicle wiring harness, with the black and red wire going down into the tank to connect to the two screws on the pump, or is it the other way around, and the terminal connects to one on the pump?

Terminal goes to pump, wiring get's spliced into vehicle harness.

What is the model pump you have? Personally, I wouldn't be using those stud/nut terminals inside a tank that contains an explosive fluid.
Unread 08-25-2014, 07:09 AM   #24
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
What is the model pump you have?
I'm not sure of the brand, it was one I picked up off ebay. It looks like this-
_35.jpg

Unread 08-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #25
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
I wouldn't be using those stud/nut terminals inside a tank that contains an explosive fluid
I'm a little leery about using those studs also, but thats the only connection I have on it. Looking at the terminal connections I'm seeing for other pumps online, none of the connections look like they would work for mine because of the way those studs are placed. If you look at this pic of a '89 F150 sending unit, you can see the red/ black wires going down to the pump and they are just connected with a crimped connector.
t2ec16jhjhqe9nzeyoonbqhb-tphj-60_57.jpg  
Unread 08-25-2014, 08:23 AM   #26
zillla
1975 CJ5 

And you guys aren't "leery" about having an electric motor, an open fuel gauge, and wires in the tank?? My 75 has the fuel gauge resistor just sittin in the open. No insulation, plastic cover, no nothing. And after 40 some years, no explosions.
Unread 08-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #27
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillla View Post
And you guys aren't "leery" about having an electric motor, an open fuel gauge, and wires in the tank??
Hasn't seemed to bother the automakers over the past twenty odd years. So I'll Alfred E. Neuman this one...

Quote:
If you look at this pic of a '89 F150 sending unit, you can see the red/ black wires going down to the pump and they are just connected with a crimped connector.
Yeah...

Not really diggin' that bit of engineerin'. But see above...
Unread 08-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #28
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I'm curious what that orange nipple looking thing on the end of the return line is for. Does it open up under pressure? Is it even needed?

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #29
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Maybe a flexible one way valve or something? I dont know why it would need one, but thats what it looks like.
Unread 08-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #30
brownrxmd
1980 CJ5 

I'm making a new fuel pump also for 80 cj5. On my cross country trip recently, the intank pump assembly I bought from NOVAK failed electrically in the middle of nowhere. So I bought the same fuel sending unit as NOVAK uses, which just happens to be the stock sending unit. Like you I'm cutting off the tube and replacing with fuel pump. I'm using a delphi fe0114 pump pumps somewhere in the neighborhood of 66 psi. I drilled a small hole through the top of the fuel sending unit I think the hole is 17/64. I did research and ordered fiber and nylon washers off Amazon. The washers are shouldered washers. For the delphi fuel pump there is a oem connector, I forget the part number but if you buy the pump on amazon, it'll suggest the connector. The problem with the fuel pump I bought from Novak was the 12v power supply bolt was loose and the washers they used desintigrated and caused an electrical short. I have pics to post but am waiting on the day I pull the old pump out and replace with the new pump. What I plan on doing is using gasket sealant on the hole I drilled and then inserting the nylon shouldered washer then fiber washer and then bolt it together. I will post pics later tonight if you want to see what I've done so far.
brownrxmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.