Adding in-tank fuel pump to CJ sending unit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Adding in-tank fuel pump to CJ sending unit

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Adding in-tank fuel pump to CJ sending unit

I asked this in another thread I had on some tank issues, but hadn't had a response and can't find much on if this can be done on the net.

The pic is of an issue I got into on the sending unit/ fuel pump. I ordered what was supposed to be the Ford frame mounted pump awhile back, but when I pulled it out today found that I have an in-tank pump. I'm determined to make this work if I can since I've spent the money and can't return the pump. Looking at the sending unit and pump, my plan was to cut the pick-up tube on the sending unit and take off the same length as the pump. Then flare the cut end of the tube and connect that end to the pump with some rubber hose. Basically the pump would take the place of the cut length of hardline I took off the sending unit. Is that something that would work? If it does, my other question is how do I wire it correctly down through the sending unit?

1558450d1408664875-gas-tank-fit-issues-photo.jpg

Dborns is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I would try it. You will need the sock filter on the end. Big trick is to find rubber that won't get destroyed by ethanol. I would be thinking on trying to solder the tubes maybe. The upper tube may be the ground also.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Unread 08-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
You will need the sock filter on the end
The new pump did come with a sock filter that slips on the end.

Quote:
Big trick is to find rubber that won't get destroyed by ethanol
I threw that question out in the other thread, but actually about the line clamps I would have to use to connect the short rubber line in between the pickup tube and the fuel pump port, (asking if gasoline would degrade those clamps over time). My first thought was if gas would eat that rubber fuel line, but how does that happen if that's what fuel lines are made of anyway?

Quote:
I would be thinking on trying to solder the tubes maybe
I can't solder them together because the port on the pump is plastic.

Quote:
The upper tube may be the ground also
I think youre correct, because theres a wire that goes through the top of the sending unit attached to the grounding bolt. I can't remember if its connected to the return tube or not, but I'm sure that's correct.
Unread 08-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Wow, that's exactly what I needed Hack. How do I go about wiring it? If its a Ford pump, do I just need a Ford jumper, or did you make that?

Thanks
Unread 08-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

It's a 255 lph Walbro pump.
The tubing soldered onto the pump is from a Mustang setup.
Wiring is stock for the pump.
I purchased the wiring pigtail, filter sock, and EFI tubing from an online company that I no longer have the link for.
The wiring is routed out the fuel return port. It's just a simple +/- connection.
One of the downsides is that the fuel level sender had to be disconnected from it in order to ease insertion in the tank, then re-assembled.

It worked fine for the time I had it installed, however, I have decided to go with an external fuel pump.
Unread 08-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Kstein
1985 CJ7 

Not sure about the 15 gal tank, but the deepest part of the 20 gal tank is not directly below the sending unit/pickup hole on the top of the tank.

To get the pickup to the deepest part, you'll need to bend the down tube, so that the pump is angled towards the front. An aftermarket pickup (without the pump) is a good model for positioning the pickup.

The top and body of the pickup assembly is will be grounded, so the pump power needs to be isolated as it passes through.

I also like to use the solid style float as shown in Hack's setup. I've had both the brass and plastic style leak and flood.

Good Luck
Mods: Mopar MPI(in progress); 4.0 Al Cylinder Head; OME YJ Suspension; MC Seats; Tub liner; 31" Tires
Kstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

It's really not too bad. I used a GM pump,thus I used the bulkhead connector from a GM sending unit. 2 years 10,000 miles and no issues at all. I duplicated the factory GM unit as closely as possible,to go along with my tbi setup.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
This is pretty much how I did my in-tank pump on my 75 CJ5. I used a pump from a 91 chevy truck. I had to cut the old tube off and add an insulated wire fitting.. I did add a stiffener across the pipe and pump, securing it with hose clamps and safety wired tightly.. The pump kit I bought had pretty much everything I needed, including the correct in-tank fuel line to connect the pump to the stem..

Here's a word of caution. There is no silicon gasket material made that will stand up to gas.. But I did find some stuff called Seal All [$3.99 at HD] that is extremely fuel resistant. I used this to help seal the fitting and hole I made for the power wire to the pump..
Unread 08-24-2014, 04:42 AM   #10
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillla View Post
I did add a stiffener across the pipe and pump, securing it with hose clamps and safety wired tightly..
This is also a good idea. A simple strip of steel, with a couple of bends, and two hose clamps would suffice. Or get fancy and solder it to the tube, hose clamp it to the pump (for removal).

I considered epoxy to seal the wires, as there would be little need to remove the wires since the pump would unplug from the pigtail.

Unread 08-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #11
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
This is also a good idea. A simple strip of steel, with a couple of bends, and two hose clamps would suffice
I think I'm following you all now. If I cut the pickup tube, and clamp the pump to the end of the tube with a short piece of rubber line, eventually movement may cause that rubber line to tear or break, so a piece of steel between the upper pickup tube and pump acts as a support. Thats not to difficult.

I looked at other pumps on ebay and rockauto, and most come with a pigtail which mine didn't. I may have to look at what years the pump I have are installed in and try to pull one from a junkyard.
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I am really wondering if any of the rubber so called gas line is compatible with ethanol. I was cleaning out the shed yesterday and found some recently purchased rubber gas line I used for a generator last year and all of it has gone real hard and brittle except the end that is still in gas. It is super soft.

I also have two boat style primer bulbs less than 3 years old and they have gone rock hard. Total trash.

Well I guess if you end up with real low fuel pressure in the future you will know where to look first....
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #13
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
I am really wondering if any of the rubber so called gas line is compatible with ethanol. I was cleaning out the shed yesterday and found some recently purchased rubber gas line I used for a generator last year and all of it has gone real hard and brittle except the end that is still in gas. It is super soft.

I also have two boat style primer bulbs less than 3 years old and they have gone rock hard. Total trash.

Well I guess if you end up with real low fuel pressure in the future you will know where to look first....
There is a ton of junk rubber out there. I will not even buy regular fuel line anymore on the Weatherhead FI rated stuff. Weatherhead is good stuff but I cannot say that it is rated for ethanol. Even if the liner is the exterior is likely formulated for UV/ozone resistance and may not handle ethanol.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I used what came on my original GM pump assembly.....I wonder how that's going to hold up.....hmm

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
myrtle77

alternative to rubber

How about this stuff, guys?

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=17700

Specs say it'll handle just about any fuel situation. Even if pricey, you won't need much.
myrtle77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.