Adding Rear Locking Hubs to a REAR Dana 44 for easy towing? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 09-29-2013, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
SeeWAinaCJ5

Hi guys, I'm a newbie to the forum, and just picked up a 75 CJ-5 that someone else burned out on finishing a mod/restore. I asked the previous owner what the process was to tow safely on 4 wheels. He recommended I put the T-15 transmission in 3rd gear and put both of transfer case sticks (Teralow conversion) in neutral. I made it the 50 miles home, then went online and found your forum. The consensus here in multiple threads on towing seem to say that it would be better to actually remove the rear driveline for towing longer distances (200 miles).. I really don't want to hassle that if there is another way. Someone on the forum actually suggested you could install manual lock/unlock hubs on the rear axle and then just put all the sticks in neutral and unlock all four hubs. I have Dana 44 axles front and rear. How is that even possible, or was the poster just being sarcastic? Seems like the rear axles are totally different design than the front. Any new thoughts on towing a 75 CJ without ruining the trans? Thanks.

Last edited by SeeWAinaCJ5; 09-29-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-23-2014, 03:23 PM
joedirtaay

I believe there is a driveline that is made for that. It's like a tow package. One of my customers put one on there 4 runner. It disengages it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.