Adding Power Steering to 4 Banger Cj... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Adding Power Steering to 4 Banger Cj...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Adding Power Steering to 4 Banger Cj...

I bought a power steering set up about four years ago to install on my 84 Cj. It came from an 85 Cj with 6 Cly. From what I understand is the steering columns are different from 4 cylinders to 6 cylinders ( I would think manual to power would be different). So half way through the swap I scrapped the idea and sold it. Back then I had 31's and now I have 35's. So I started looking a few weeks ago and with luck came to a set for sale off an 80 Cj I believe with a 304. I have a couple of questions though, can I use my current box or do I need to replace that? I know I have to fab brackets for it as from what I've been told they never offered power steering on a 4 Cly Cj and the brackets from a 6 Cly or V8 for that matter will not work. But what about the column? Can I replace the lower half of the column w/o replacing the whole thing if I need to replace the steering box? I mean I wouldn't mind adding a tilt column but finding one around here is like finding useful tits on a bull. So basically what I'm saying is if I have to replace the steering box can I just replace the lower half of the shaft that connects to the box and reuse the upper half?

Has anyone else done this upgrade to a 4 Cly???

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
yellow85cj
1985 CJ7 

Yes you can put PS on a 4 cyl. Yes it was an OEM option.

Brackets for the pump will fit a 150 or 258. V8 bracket it completely different.

The only part of the intermediate shaft that needs to be changed for the swap is the bell cupler on the end.

PS gear box has a different spline count and size than the manual.

Pit man arm needs to change to a PS pitman arm.

If yo can find a tilt from a CJ or FSJ it is a direct bolt in.

You need to find 150 PS hoses or get the 258 and have them lengthened. The
the 150 sits a little farther back than the 258 so the length change.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ma...ersion-751661/
Unread 08-21-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Thanks a lot Yellow!!!

Paved Roads
Quote:

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
Unread 08-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Hey Yellow, man that sure is a great right up. The box ratio was an issue when I was installing the PS set up last time. The shop was concerned since I was lifted 4" they didn't want me to turn to quickly and roll. So I'm guessing if I get a box from a Cj I should be fine? Also, am I able to get the brackets new? Scrap yards around here don't normally have what I'm looking for. And as far as the Steering column, any year FSJ would work? I'm thinking it's not that big of a deal to swap it out. So while I'm into the lower end mind as well swap in a tilt column...

Paved Roads
Quote:

Unread 08-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

the lines are cheap i would just buy em new. i just got new ones from advanced and they were about $10 for the return and $18 for the pressure line.
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.