Adding power brakes to cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Adding power brakes to cj5

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 03-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #1
Clint68
1982 CJ7 

Adding power brakes to cj5

Looking at a 81 cj5. Does not have power brakes. Can they be added without too much expense? Please give a brief description of parts i would need. Thanks any replies appreciated.

Clint68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
RadioRadio
1980 CJ5 

I researched this a bit myself and ultimately decided against the conversion. New hoses, new fluid, a new mc, new calipers and pads made my manual brakes pretty potent.

But for the conversion, you'll need (off the top of my head here, so this isn't a full list) a booster, mc, and a new air cleaner housing.
Unread 03-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I added them to my '79 CJ5. I bought a used power brake booster/master cylinder from ebay. It worked better than the non power brakes that I had.

Then, I read a bunch of articles how a YJ power brake system was an upgrade over the CJ setup. So, I bought one of those, and swapped it in. I have GREAT brakes!! And, I don't even have the double diaphragm booster that was available in some '95 YJ's. That one is supposed to be the best.

Just install the booster/MC, and run the booster vacuum hose to a manifold vacuum port in your intake manifold (I have a V8 manifold). Bleed the brake system, and you should be all set.

I modified the booster pushrod (made it adjustable), because all the articles said to. I really don't think that it was necessary for me to do so.

Google "CJ to YJ power brake conversion." There are quite a few articles on it.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Clint68
1982 CJ7 

So that is the only parts i will need is a yj booster and m.cyl. And vacuum hose to manifold. I also have 304 eng. is there any particular year yj parts to look for or are they all the same? I assume it would be best to get parts off a used jeep or would new parts be much more expensive? Thanks
Unread 03-03-2014, 03:42 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I would go with new all around because the seals in the MC could be dry and cracking and the diaphragm in the vacuum booster could be dried out also.

Do you already have disk an the front?

I used all Stock CJ stuff when I went from drum/drum to boosted Disk/drum. The brakes work so good it would throw you out of your seat even with the snow plow on it and 33's.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Vanco Hydroboost:

Do a search for the Mustang hydraboost conversion if you want to go junkyarding.
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #7
Clint68
1982 CJ7 

What would be a rough figure on price for a yj m. Cyl and booster. What year parts should I look for or does it matter? Also where would be a good place to search for theses parts. Thanks
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #8
Ruckus45
1978 CJ5 

I'm in the same boat. Have the mc and booster sanded and painted but have been putting off install. Brakes is something you kinda want to get right.

Can you use the old mc? No right?
Unread 03-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Here are a few for sale...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?..._sop=10&_rdc=2

If you don't like what you see here, keep checking back...new ones are listed frequently.

I've bought used ones, and they have always worked. Of course, if it was all rusty and nasty looking, I would not buy it. You have to be a little fussy, here. Choose a decent looking one. That being said, it's still a gamble, but I've been lucky, so far.

As a matter of fact, I have a double diaphragm booster/MC out of a 1995 YJ that I would be willing to sell...

Rich

Unread 03-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
bmxer35
1982 CJ7 

I think I paid around 130 from oreilly's for my yj brake booster and vette mc. all refurbished stuff from oreilly's. Still waiting to put them in. need to take a visit to my parent's place to use some tools that I don't have.
bmxer35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #11
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

if I have manual brakes and upgrade to power, would I need to change out brake hard lines? I am pulling the body off the frame so now is the best time..
smbundy13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 11:38 PM   #12
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I didn't change out the lines when I switched to power brakes. If they needed changing I would have, but they were fine. That swap was about 6 years ago...

Rich

Unread 03-31-2014, 11:48 PM   #13
CSP

www.rockauto.com

Amazon also sells auto parts.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 03:42 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I changed mine just because they were 40 years old. went with stainless steel.

If you have the body off, best time to do it.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 05:59 AM   #15
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Part of your answer depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are trying to reduce pedal effort, than the booster is a good approach. However, if you consider your brakes inadequate (not enough stopping power) than the booster is merely attempting to treate the symptom. Putting more pressure on the brakes does not improve their energy absorption, but will help them fail faster.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.