Adapting stock air cleaner to Weber carb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Adapting stock air cleaner to Weber carb

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 11-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
WolfDawg
1984 CJ7 

Adapting stock air cleaner to Weber carb

When the guy that installed my Weber did so, he stripped all the old air cleaner stuff out...I'm getting more and more convinced that the lack of this stuff working right is causing my gas fume problem....

My question is how do I adapt the original stock air cleaner stuff to work with my new Weber 32/36 carb?

Thanks in advance!
WolfDawg

WolfDawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
WolfDawg
1984 CJ7 

Ok...got home with the Jeep....was actually a nice ride in the rain..I guess the moisture in the air helps dissipate the fumes.

At any rate, I found two canister looking things in the Jeep, one on the left and one on the right....neither one appears to have any connections to the carburetor at all....one has NO hoses whatsoever, and the other has a hose that isn't attached to anything else, one place that looks like it should have a hose and doesn't, and one hose that goes back under the firewall...not into it, just routes up under the body towards the back of the Jeep.

Whichever one is the fuel vent/charcoal canister, it ain't hooked up right....

I want to try and reinstall all the original air cleaner assembly stuff...how do I make all that stuff work with the new Weber 32/36 carb?

I'll post this as a new post as well....and will try to get up some pics of all this when it stops raining.

Thanks again!
WolfDawg
Unread 11-30-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The charcoal canister is the one on the drivers side with the line running back to the gas tank.

The small top vacuum nipple goes to the CTO valve and the other side of the CTO goes to the spark ported distributor vacuum line. It can use a T fitting to join them.

The line below the small one on the round valve is the purge that goes to a T fitting in the PCV line. The other one was for the carb float bowl vent and can be plugged and the last line goes back under the firewall to the gas tank.

Here is a good site that will help you ID most of the stuff:
http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

wolf,

I installed a webber carb on my 1984 jeep cj-7.

the webber carb is set up to use the air clearner assembly that comes with the carb.

your tappet cover should have two holes in top of tappet cover, one front and one rear

the one in front should have a line that connects to the vac line the goes into the vac side of carb or intake manifold and power brake boster.

the rear hole in tappet cover should have a line running to the bottom of your new webber carb air cleaner. Filtered air is drawn into motor through this hole and and fumes are sucked through pvc valve to vac side of carb or intake manifold.

That is the way mine is set up and I do not have fumes.

Good luck
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfDawg View Post
When the guy that installed my Weber did so, he stripped all the old air cleaner stuff out...I'm getting more and more convinced that the lack of this stuff working right is causing my gas fume problem....

My question is how do I adapt the original stock air cleaner stuff to work with my new Weber 32/36 carb?

Thanks in advance!
WolfDawg
I don't know where you purchased your Weber carb, but I got mine from these people and it came with an adapter to use the factory air cleaner.

http://www.carburetion.com/Weber/Dat...20/%20CHEROKEE

You have to raise your air cleaner assembly off the valve cover by 1 inch when using an aluminum cover and maybe more if using the stock plastic valve cover since the Weber carb is taller than the stock Carter BBD carb.

Here's some pics of it installed on my 258 I-6:

keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Pretty sure I've posted the part number for the adapter here before...should be able to find it using the search tool.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
WolfDawg
1984 CJ7 

Hey, wellmax....

I just checked and I do not have two holes in the tappet cover for my Weber...just one...in the front...and the hose from it goes into what lookes like the PCV breather hole towards the back of the manifold cover. The hose running out of the PCV valve hole at the front of the manifold cover runs to a connector at the BASE of the carb, in the front of it, down where those aluminum adapter plates are.....but only the ONE hole in the tappet cover where the air filter sits....

So, what's up with that?
Unread 12-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
WolfDawg
1984 CJ7 

That adapter plate looks like what I'm wanting to try and do, but my carb is just the K-551 32/36....not the "S"....don't know if that would work or not....any ideas?

Thanks!
Unread 12-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #9
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

That 'S' represents the kit with the stock adapter added but the usual little breather omited. The K-551 Kit you have is I think the DGEV series 32/36 like keiths carb. in the pic. you should be able to find the adapter at most if not all the Weber sites.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #10
wm69

I've got a 32/36 with that adapter, so they make one that will work with your carb. Jeep is 4 1/2 hours from me currently so can't help you out with a part #.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
WolfDawg
1984 CJ7 

I just hope I can order the part without ordering the entire kit....

THX, guys!
WD
Unread 12-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #12
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Like I said, I posted the p/n here before (when I bought my adapter)...a search should turn it up. I made a point of posting the info here so that it could be found by others. I found the place I bought it from originally by Googling.
Unread 12-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #13
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Here ya' go: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/weber-32-36-38-air-cleaner-adapter-181705/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.