Adam's 1979 CJ5 Frame-up - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Adam's 1979 CJ5 Frame-up

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #106
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

impressive work as usual Adam, seeing that makes me nervous what I ended up leaving behind my pillars. Time will tell I guess...

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #107
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Ugh, I fired up the welder this morning and I'm out of shielding gas!

It's the weekend and I was planning on getting a bunch of metal work done. Praxair is closed on the weekends.

Yippee, yard work time.
Unread 02-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #108
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Ain't it a blessing to have yard work to do this time of year!? I know exactly how you feel about the gas!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #109
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Ain't it a blessing to have yard work to do this time of year!? I know exactly how you feel about the gas!!
I hear ya, sure beats shoveling snow. Been there done that.
Unread 02-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #110
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Since I am out of gas for my welder I decided to strip off all the bondo on the passenger side of the tub.

At some point the previous owner got in an accident and crinkled the tub pretty good. I do believe a body shop did the repair work and did a decent job, but it appears that they went too heavy on the bondo. I should be able to straighten the metal out a little better with my hammer and dolly set, and hopefully use less body filler when I get to that job.

Pretty thick as you can see in the lower left corner of the pic:

Took me about 2 hours to grind all the bondo off with a wire wheel on my grinder.

Kind of reminds me of the section that Dave had to fix/replace on his tub, but his was much worse. I don't think I will need to replace any metal, just hammer/dolly and body filler work.

Unread 02-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #111
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

I also received a couple goodies in the mail today.

My poly body mounts and Moses Ludel's Rebuilder's Manual.

Unread 02-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #112
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I would love a critique on the manual. I have heard nothing about it, but I've seen it out there.

I can't see the body work being an issue with your skill set. Looking forward to seeing your repair.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #113
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I would love a critique on the manual. I have heard nothing about it, but I've seen it out there.

I can't see the body work being an issue with your skill set. Looking forward to seeing your repair.
Scott,

The manual will work nicely in conjunction with the FSM. There are nicely detailed write-ups, tips, and lots of photos on rebuilding the T18 tranny, dana 20 TC, axles, clutch work, and plenty more. The section on rebuilding engines is okay, but very good if you have a T18 transmission.

I'm only about half way through the book, but for someone that is learning the ropes on rebuilding a vehicle/jeep (like me) then I do believe it is a must read.

I bought a used, "very good condition" copy off of Amazon for $30 with shipping.
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #114
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quick update: Finished up the other pillar. This side was in better shape.

Sandblasted, phosphoric acid etched and ready for Por 15.

Welded back together.

I also had this section to repair.

Unread 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #115
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Seems like those spots are the most common place for rot, besides the floors. What's your plan then for the bare metal once all the places have been repaired? POR?
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #116
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Seems like those spots are the most common place for rot, besides the floors. What's your plan then for the bare metal once all the places have been repaired? POR?
Pretty sure I will coat the inside of the tub with Por 15 and Raptor. For the underneath, Por 15 and Por Chassis Coat Black (frame too). The outside will most likely get epoxy primer and whatever top coat I decide upon.

I do plan on taking everything down to bare metal via sanding and sand blasting to obtain a good tooth for paint.
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #117
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Spent the weekend pulling the engine, transmission/transfer case, drivelines, exhaust, and other odds and ends off the chassis.

Before completely stripping down to the frame, I wanted to temporarily set the tub on the frame to check the alignment of the numerous tub body mounts that I repaired, and for any other potential problems with the tub's fitment back on the frame. So far everything lines up very well.

The springs sure perked up without the weight of the engine, tranny and tc on the frame. Kind of looks like I have lift.

Was a fun weekend and a nice break from the monotony of doing metal work. Next I will be working on my fenders and will check their alignment to the tub as well.
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #118
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgcoug View Post
and a nice break from the monotony of doing metal work.
I was just going to reply with those exact words as I read down thru your post. I'm about to push my tub to the side and carry in the frame. I've got about 15 more minutes of welding and I should be done with the tub.... till warmer weather comes. Supposed to snow some more tonight. Hopefully it goes south of us cause the weekends calling for a high of 50.
Any big plans for the engine?
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #119
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
I was just going to reply with those exact words as I read down thru your post. I'm about to push my tub to the side and carry in the frame. I've got about 15 more minutes of welding and I should be done with the tub.... till warmer weather comes. Supposed to snow some more tonight. Hopefully it goes south of us cause the weekends calling for a high of 50.
Any big plans for the engine?
Yeah, the metal work has been exhausting. The metal work that I am currently doing on my fenders is a bit of a change from messing with the tub so that's good.

The engine will most likely get a complete rebuild. As far as upgrades, not really any major performance upgrades other than a Howell TBI California version. As is, the jeep would not pass emissions. I yanked and boxed up the factory emission junk a few years ago when I lived in Washington State, and replaced the Carter BBD carb with an MC2100 (great upgrade). It was running pretty good, but I'm anxious to see how the TBI system runs/works.
Unread 03-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #120
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Time for restoration of my fenders. Passenger side first.

Plan: Fix dings and dents with a hammer and dolly set and various punches hand tools. Replace both inner and outer rotted out panels, coat inner layers with Por15 and weld together.

Spot welds cut out with spot weld cutter.

Picked up a sheet of 20 Gauge steel from my local steel supplier.

Used the existing inner panel to form the shape/contour.

Plug weld the brace and threaded plate back on.

Sandblasted all inner panel layers and coated with Por15.

Worked this dent out.

This one too.

Fits perfect! Screw poorly, foreign made aftermarket fenders. I would rather get frustrated with the effort in restoring original AMC steel than fight that junk to look and fit properly.

On to the driver's side fender....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.