Adam's 1979 CJ5 Frame-up - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Adam's 1979 CJ5 Frame-up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #31
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

I love to watch CJ-5 builds, but I'm a bit biased. Looking good so far!

"For evil to flourish, all that is needed is for good people to do nothing."
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #32
Bojon
1981 CJ5 

Awesome build so far. Can't wait to see more!

Jered
Bojon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #33
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsAndaGuy View Post
wow very jealous of your new helper, that is sure going to come in handy. As always your sheet metal work puts mine to shame, good job!
Bah, you are doing great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffen24 View Post
great progress! Tagging along for the ride. Siting on another 79 CJ5 myself in need of some TLC.
Thanks! Slowly but surely I am making headway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Is that cool or what? You're going to love that addition.
For sure, the compressor has definitely helped me a ton already.
Unread 05-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #34
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Update time.

As you can see, I needed to pull the rear wheel housing guard/brace and address the rot on it, and the rust behind it.

After a 24 hour phosphoric acid bath:

Bad section cut out and patch piece formed:

All welded up:

Finished:

Unread 05-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #35
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Top side of rear wheel housing where the brace/guard was spot welded:

Backside:

Maintaining the ribbing. I had some leftover scrap from the rear floor pan patches.

Finished up. The blotchy black areas are from phosphoric acid.

Unread 05-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #36
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Another seat belt mount needing attention:

Cut out:

Patched in and basically done. Just a bit more cleaning up of welds still.

Unread 05-25-2012, 01:26 PM   #37
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Here's an older before pic of my passenger side roll bar mount area:

Bad section cut out:

Patch finished:

An old pic of my rear floors:

Looking better I'd say:

Unread 05-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #38
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Nice work. Now tell me about the phosphoric acid process. I imagine you paint it on, do you then rinse it off with water or what?
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #39
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Nice work. Now tell me about the phosphoric acid process. I imagine you paint it on, do you then rinse it off with water or what?

I have a couple gallons of it that I bought from Home Depot ($15 gal.). I have some in a spray bottle, some in a cup to brush on, and over a gallon in a rubbermaid tub for soaking small items. This stuff loves rust, and if given enough time to soak, it will eat through some pretty thick rust deposits. After soaking, I rinse the item off with water (water neutralizes the acid) and then quickly dry the item with a towel, compressed air, and set it out in the sun to fully dry. This helps prevent flash rusting after the rinse.

Here's a pic showing half of an item that soaked in phosphoric for a 24hr period. Pretty cool how the acid gets into all the pits and gets rid of the rust.

Here's another example. I won't be using this piece, but I let the one end soak for 24 hrs and the acid cut through most of the heavy rust. Another 12 hours or so and it would all be rid of.

Unread 05-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #40
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

Good progress, I' ll be following
Unread 05-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #41
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

My experience with Phosphoric Acid is similar, but different! This chemical comes under many different labels/names. A couple very old ones are Naval Jelly and Ospho. Both of these older materials are designed to be wiped on, sprayed on, or brushed on, but not soaked in. I'm not really sure that soaking a piece of metal in Phos Acid for extended periods is a good idea, but I'm no Chemist. Ospho, for example, is like water. You apply it to your piece and let it dry. You don't wash it off. In 24 hours you come back to it and check it. If there is a white, powdery residue then there is still rust remaining, and you apply the material again to the affected areas. You are supposed to repeat those steps until the white powder is gone, hence no more rust. The rust converts to carbon (?) and the metal is sealed. You won't have flash rust, but the coating doesn't last forever. At this point, you wire brush any powdery residue, use a self-etching primer, and paint. Bullet-proof!

POR-15 has a good product called Metal Ready. It is also Phos Acid, but it conatins Zinc too. The Zinc provides a "cold dip" giving an additional layer of rust inhibitor. The significant difference in application between POR's brand and straight Phos Acid is that POR's brand requires you keep the metal wet for 20 minutes, whereas with Phos Acid you just spray and walk away.

Don't pour these materials into a metal container to apply. Use only plastic containers.

Your pictures are great, and no criticisms intended.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #42
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
My experience with Phosphoric Acid is similar, but different! This chemical comes under many different labels/names. A couple very old ones are Naval Jelly and Ospho. Both of these older materials are designed to be wiped on, sprayed on, or brushed on, but not soaked in. I'm not really sure that soaking a piece of metal in Phos Acid for extended periods is a good idea, but I'm no Chemist. Ospho, for example, is like water. You apply it to your piece and let it dry. You don't wash it off. In 24 hours you come back to it and check it. If there is a white, powdery residue then there is still rust remaining, and you apply the material again to the affected areas. You are supposed to repeat those steps until the white powder is gone, hence no more rust. The rust converts to carbon (?) and the metal is sealed. You won't have flash rust, but the coating doesn't last forever. At this point, you wire brush any powdery residue, use a self-etching primer, and paint. Bullet-proof!

POR-15 has a good product called Metal Ready. It is also Phos Acid, but it conatins Zinc too. The Zinc provides a "cold dip" giving an additional layer of rust inhibitor. The significant difference in application between POR's brand and straight Phos Acid is that POR's brand requires you keep the metal wet for 20 minutes, whereas with Phos Acid you just spray and walk away.

Don't pour these materials into a metal container to apply. Use only plastic containers.

Your pictures are great, and no criticisms intended.
Thanks for the input on the phosphoric acid Scott. As you probably know, phosphoric acid is a mild acid. It attacks and reacts to iron oxide (rust) very quickly, and reacts to steel at a very, very slow rate. We probably do more damage to our steel with wire wheels/grinding disks than what phosphoric acid would do to steel in a 24 hour period.

With that said, people should be educating and researching methods like this themselves. From there, one can make their own educated decision on such methods.
Unread 05-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #43
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgcoug View Post
Thanks for the input on the phosphoric acid Scott. As you probably know, phosphoric acid is a mild acid. It attacks and reacts to iron oxide (rust) very quickly, and reacts to steel at a very, very slow rate. We probably do more damage to our steel with wire wheels/grinding disks than what phosphoric acid would do to steel in a 24 hour period.

With that said, people should be educating and researching methods like this themselves. From there, one can make their own educated decision on such methods.
Adam, be advised, Phosphoric Acid is tied with Sulfuric Acid as the second most powerful acid in its pure form, second only to Hydro Iodic. Even the diluted commercial product that we use burns the heck out of your lungs and skin. What does the label on your material say? Does it actually say to soak the metal? I agree, we're pretty merciless with our wire wheels, and that's a great analogy... one I had not considered.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #44
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

The other option, and one that works wonders for smaller parts is electrolysis. You need a non-metallic tub large enough for your parts, water, and sodium hydroxide (lye,available at home depot as septic main line cleaner), a pair of jumper cables, some scrap iron, and a 12v battery charger ( charger must not be the ones with built in fault shutdown or auto shutdown)

Google it. It works wonders!
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #45
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I put the phosphoric acid in cheap spray bottles. I use it to prep, clean, and protect steel prior to painting.

The Jeep build looks like it's coming along.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.