Adam's 1979 CJ5 Frame-up - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Adam's 1979 CJ5 Frame-up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #16
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
How do you plan on attacking that bed? I have a lot of similar small rust pinholes in my bed that sandblasting was kind enough to reveal for me. I was going to try and plug weld these while holding a copper "spoon" behind it, then grind the top side flush. I may also just cut some metal to fit between the ribs on the underside and then just plug them using that as a backer. Whichever proves easier!
My heatsheild is pretty bad on the one side so I was just going to make another one.
I actually found plug welding small holes to be quite simple with my welder. Most of them I didn't even need to use a backing, although I do have some copper backing for the larger holes. Exactly, just fill the holes a little higher than the sheet metal and then grind them flush. I have a ton of these to do.

Stay tuned in the next day or so to see how I am addressing the areas of the rear floor that are rotted out. I will have quite a few pictures of the process.

Unread 05-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Bad sections all cut out with jig saw/angle grinder/dremel cutoff wheel. I then hit the exposed, surface rust areas of the floor supports with my portable sandblaster, and then sprayed phosphoric acid down into the support to neutralize the surface rust that I could not reach with my sand blaster.

Patch panel that I cut out of a junkyard CJ7. This was the only usable section of that floorboard.

Cut out section used as a template for new patch piece. I used a jigsaw with a fine, steel cutting blade.

Tacked on piece.

Making progress. A bit more welding to do and then some sanding/grinding of the welds. The second piece up from the bottom is completely done (welded/sanded down).

I'll get some more pics up soon when the floor is completed. BTW, I think I am doing okay with the welding? This is my first time ever welding.
Unread 05-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #18
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

wow, that looks great, I like how you used the body panel off the other jeep to maintain the same ribbing in the tub!

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledochawk View Post
wow, that looks great, I like how you used the body panel off the other jeep to maintain the same ribbing in the tub!
Thanks! That was my plan to maintain the original ribbing pattern.
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledochawk View Post
Ditto. Very excellent work. I know it was tedious, but it came out looking great.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #21
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this. I turned an old oak entertainment center with casters into a welding cart. I just cut a round hole in the top with my jig saw and dropped the gas tank into the hole. I've had the darn thing sitting around collecting dust in the garage for a while now, so why not utilize it for a free welding cart with shelving for all my welding accessories.

Unread 05-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #22
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgcoug View Post
Thought you guys might get a kick out of this. I turned an old oak entertainment center with casters into a welding cart. I just cut a round hole in the top with my jig saw and dropped the gas tank into the hole. I've had the darn thing sitting around collecting dust in the garage for a while now, so why not utilize it for a free welding cart with shelving for all my welding accessories.

That gets the Alabama Seal of Approval second class!

If you add some duct tape you get the top award!

The tub work is looking good!

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #23
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal73 View Post
That gets the Alabama Seal of Approval second class!

If you add some duct tape you get the top award!

The tub work is looking good!

Jeff
Lol, I'm glad I get some southern approval.
Unread 05-07-2012, 04:34 AM   #24
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looking awesome! I always enjoy the CJ-5 rebuilds. I like the welding cart too. Add some castors and you'll be in business.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #25
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Looking awesome! I always enjoy the CJ-5 rebuilds. I like the welding cart too. Add some castors and you'll be in business.
It does have casters. It wouldn't be a pro-setup without them.
Unread 05-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #26
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

I pulled my seat belts off and discovered some rust/rot underneath them. Then hit the area with my sandblaster.

Cut out section, and then drilled out the two spot welds on the threaded plate.

New patch and threaded plate.

Tacked on plate. I used my small vise to achieve the curve\bend in the new sheet metal.

Topside all welded in:

Backside:

I still need to hit the welds with a grinder and then I have a couple more seat belt mount areas to repair.
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #27
acgcoug
1979 CJ5 

Update:

Not a whole lot of visual progress as of late. I've been chiseling out a lot of seam sealer in preparation for hitting those hard to reach areas with my sand blaster. I seem to keep discovering new, little rust/rot areas as I work my way around cleaning the tub. Just means more sheet metal patching to further refine my welding skills.

Other seat belt mount/area patched in:

I like all the welding work, but the grinding I find tedious and a PITA! I think I'll pick up a compact air grinder today at HF to help get to those hard to reach areas.

Picked up this lil' helper the other day at Home Depot:

Unread 05-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #28
2girlsAndaGuy
1979 CJ5 

wow very jealous of your new helper, that is sure going to come in handy. As always your sheet metal work puts mine to shame, good job!

David
2girlsAndaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #29
Griffen24
1979 CJ5 

great progress! Tagging along for the ride. Siting on another 79 CJ5 myself in need of some TLC.
Griffen24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #30
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Is that cool or what? You're going to love that addition.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.