AdamH's 76 CJ7 build - after the fact - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AdamH's 76 CJ7 build - after the fact

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.com

Unread 05-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #16
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Adam,

Sorry to hear about the divorce; when I was in Special Forces, I almost lost my wife and it sucked, I feel for you.

On a lighter note, your CJ looks freaking AWESOME!!!! My CJ-5 was originally Renegade Orange, and I can't wait to start the restoration process...getting parts as I go before I start, and the anticipation is killing me, but I can only hope that my CJ looks as nice as yours when it's done.

Also, good call on painting the engine the original AMC Blue color, looks much nicer, then again I'm a freak for originality.

If I could bother you for a measurement, would you mind taking a detailed pic of the holes where the radio goes and put some dimensions on it for me? the muldoon who owned my CJ before me cut a huge hole, so I need to weld in a patch and redo it correctly.

Thanks,

Fred

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #17
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So since I was on a roll with doing things twice, I decided to buy a soft top again. Hardtops were no where to be found for the right $$ or right condition for me and I had a credit with a vendor so I bought a top. I decided to go ahead and get the soft doors as well just in case. I have owned soft doors in the past on my TJs and they either sat in my garage or in the back of the Jeeps taking up space. Anywho, got them this time just to have.

I also went to my local Line-X place and had the inside of the tub done.

Went to work bolting everything back on.
img_1021.jpg   img_1022.jpg   img_1026.jpg   img_1031.jpg   img_1033.jpg  

AdamH07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #18
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

another shot of the Line-X
img_1032.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #19
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, as things were looking great - could see the end of the build in sight, another set-back.

I posted this in a separate thread so I won't rehash the entire story but during a nice Sunday drive on Mother's day some kids thought it would be fun to throw beer bottles at me.

After speaking with the police I have determined that I will probably never see any $$ from the kids because we will probably never catch them. I went to work with the damage.

I was able to buff out all the scratches and clean up all the shattered glass that came in on me and the Jeep with the exception of the hood.

I have a dent and scratches down to bare metal on the hood. I spoke to my painter and he is gonna get me back in the shop in a few weeks to fix the damage. I tried to get pics but the paint job is so shinny it's hard to make it out.
img_1027.jpg   img_1028.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #20
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

You changed your dash!

What'd you do with the original one?

Fred

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #21
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So that brings us to today!

What's left to do:

-install new rear seat that is sitting in the garage
-install factory sway bar and new links (my CJ came from the factory without a swaybar - it was an option in '76)
-hook up heater controls when I figure out how and where the cables hook up
-hard doors - they are painted and the glass goes up and down just fine but other than that, they are bare. I need the seals, interior panels, cranks, etc. not sure when I will get around to this.. not like I am going to use them anytime soon.
-install disc brakes! my CJ came from the factory with front drums. picked up a factory disc brake set-up off CL a week or so ago so I plan to swap out what I need at some point. Not in a real rush on this.
-I REALLY need to regear the thing. It does move but could do much better. Problem is that the JK needs to be regeared as well. Where to put the money????
-small odds and ends like getting wiper motor cover painted and installed, defrost vents installed, visors installed, etc...
disc-brakes.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #22
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here is sits in the garage. Plus a few pics of it with my JK.

I have noticed that the younger crowd (well, I am 33 so stuck in the middle I guess ) seem to be drawn to the JK when I am out somewhere.

People around my age and older tend to like the CJ.

I am seriously considering putting them both in a show or something just to see which one ends up with the most attention. I suspect the CJ will.

I have also done all the work on my JK and absolutely love it. It is paid for and I have more into that thing that I want to even think about! However, if push came to shove - it would be gone in a heartbeat. I can replace it. I can't replace the CJ or the memories both good and bad..
img_1034.jpg   img_1029.jpg   img_1030.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #23
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
You changed your dash!

What'd you do with the original one?

Fred
The original one got tossed. I tried selling it and then tried to give it away and had no luck. I wanted to add a 2nd speaker where the factory clock was so I just purchased a new dash that was powdercoated.

The new dash isn't to factory spec. The stereo opening isn't the same as the original. I wouldn't base any measurements on this one if i were you.
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #24
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamH07 View Post
The original one got tossed. I tried selling it and then tried to give it away and had no luck. I wanted to add a 2nd speaker where the factory clock was so I just purchased a new dash that was powdercoated.

The new dash isn't to factory spec. The stereo opening isn't the same as the original. I wouldn't base any measurements on this one if i were you.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DID WHAT??????!!!!!!!!!!

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #25
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I didn't think there was a market for it since it sat for so long!

However, I was smart enough to not throw away the factory tan Levi dash panel. Trying to sell that now.

Factory rear Levi seat was sold early on in the build.
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #26
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
I didn't think there was a market for it since it sat for so long!

However, I was smart enough to not throw away the factory tan Levi dash panel. Trying to sell that now.

Factory rear Levi seat was sold early on in the build.
Dash pad and seats I have, courtesy of jp78cj5 and Oily picking them up.

Dangit dangit dangit...finding a dash that isn't cut up is near impossible.

Fred

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #27
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I have also done all the work on my JK and absolutely love it. It is paid for and I have more into that thing that I want to even think about! However, if push came to shove - it would be gone in a heartbeat. I can replace it. I can't replace the CJ or the memories both good and bad..

Atta boy! 2 great looking rigs. im extremely jealous! great work and write up!

now go hunt down those kids. i think a stake out is in order!

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 10:58 AM   #28
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

The CJ looks great! It's a great 3 year story. Thanks for taking the time to write up the story and post the photos. The problem with the original engine rebuild, the shattered hard top, and the divorce are great reminders that all builds are going to encounter some problems and changes along the way. A person just has to expect that the plan will change during the course of the work. The more I work on mine, the more I want to rip it all apart and undetake a 2 year rebuild, but then I remember how much I love driving it.
Unread 05-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #29
mjfitz99
1986 CJ7 

She looks real nice!
mjfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #30
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
The CJ looks great! It's a great 3 year story. Thanks for taking the time to write up the story and post the photos. The problem with the original engine rebuild, the shattered hard top, and the divorce are great reminders that all builds are going to encounter some problems and changes along the way. A person just has to expect that the plan will change during the course of the work. The more I work on mine, the more I want to rip it all apart and undetake a 2 year rebuild, but then I remember how much I love driving it.
There were times when I almost sold it... glad I stuck with it

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.