AdamH's 76 CJ7 build - after the fact - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AdamH's 76 CJ7 build - after the fact

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-19-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

AdamH's 76 CJ7 build - after the fact

So I finally decided to do a build thread of my almost complete project.

Background:

I have been into Jeeps my whole life and have owned quite a few over the years (see sig) but always wanted a CJ7 or Scrambler. I wanted the factory 304. Don't know why, I know there are plenty of engine options that work just fine but I couldn't get over this. I wanted the 304.

I never really searched for a CJ or Scrambler. If I saw one for sale on the side of the road I would stop... things like that. The only times I found one with a 304 it had already been fully restored and the seller wanted a pretty penny for it. I honestly kind of gave up on it.

3 years ago, the 76 CJ7 fell into my lap. Lots of people around here know about my obsession for Jeeps and always ask me questions, my advice on buying them, etc.. I was told a friend of a friend had an old Jeep he wanted to sell and wanted to know if I knew of anyone who would want it and/or the best way to go about selling it. I went to the guy's house to take a look at it.

There, in his garage, was a 1976 CJ7 Levi edition with the original 304! I was speechless. The thing ran, BADLY. Leaked out of every place you can imagine. He had bought it with the intention of restoring it but never did anything with it.

As you will see in some pics below, for some reason the PO before the guy I bought it from didn't like the factory brown so he rattle canned it flat black. You could barely see the Levi stickers under the paint.

I asked him what he thought it was worth as it sat. He threw out a number that was very fair for it, especially since it came with brand new 33" Coopers as well as a lift kit uninstalled. I came back the next day, paid the man, and brought it home.

Here is a pic the day after, with the lift kit installed.. Yes, the very first thing I did was install the lift kit.

img_0409.jpg   img_0408.jpg   img_0410.jpg  
AdamH07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

So now I was torn.. I mean, I had what I have always wanted! Do I get the thing running right and just drive and enjoy or do I do a complete frame off?

Well, since I have the 07 JK Rubi to drive around for fun, I decided to go ahead and do a frame off.

I have 100s of pics so I won't bore you with all of them of course. I will post some of the highlights and please ask if there is anything specific you want to see. I can bet I have a pic of it!

So, first things first, let's get the body off.
img_0412.jpg   001.jpg   003.jpg   006.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I live in a rather nice neighborhood so needless to say, this project has been interesting. Most if not all of the guys have loved watching the progression. There were Saturdays where there were 15-20 guys in my driveway and garage watching and asking questions. The very cool thing is how many got their hands dirty. I mean, there were guys that had never changed their own oil before wanted to learn and help. I put a wrench in their hands and told them what to do. I don't think I ever paid for my lunch or my beer those days.. someone always took care of it for the fun they were having.

The wives.... well let's see. To most of them it was an eyesore and it took their husbands away for a few hours each weekend... I didn't make any friends with them needless to say!

I took the body to the sandblaster and got to work on the engine teardown. The frame was spotless with the exception of the rear cross member being full of holes from some random bumper at some point. Easy fix with a new crossmember. The body had some rust but nothing major. Welded in new metal where needed.
008.jpg   009.jpg   010.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fast forward. I stripped the frame down to bare metal and covered in POR15. Also got the engine back from the machine shop and got it installed along with the exhaust.
img_0628.jpg   img_0630.jpg   img_0679.jpg   img_0681.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

beautiful! more! awesome job! How does it sound with the glass packs? Pretty loud I imagine?

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Got the body back from sand blast and realized some new parts were in order such as a windsheild, tailgate and hood. the originals were too bad for it to be worth my while to try and fix. used POR15 on the bottom of the body and put things back together.
img_0822.jpg   img_0823.jpg   img_0824.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, at this point, LIFE happens.

After much talk and thinking, my wife and I decided mutually that a divorce was in order. I moved out and $$ was spent on other things like rent so progress slowed down. The hardest part was loosing my main helper, her brother. We were very close but as some of you know, divorce changes lots of things.

Progress was slow but I was still able to move forward. Since we mutually agreed on the divorce, I was able to still come over and work on the CJ since I had no where to put it and all my tools. She also travels alot with work.

Got it road ready and was rockin' it in primer! you will notice a change in wheels. Turns out the 4 that came on it were originally chrome that were powdercoated black. For the life of me I couldn't find a 5th one to do the same (still had factory slot as a spare). I ended up selling the four to a guy and bought 5 new D windows.
img_0835.jpg   img_0836.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #8
jasontx
1983 CJ7 

Let's see more, what kind of time line are you working on
jasontx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

SCORE!!! Gotta love Craigslist

I was messing around one day on CL and came across the ONLY winch that would do the CJ justice. Guy wanted cash and NO TRADES. Well, I didn't have cash. The pics he posted of the winch were from his garage and you could tell that not only was this guy an avid hunter but he was also a gun collector. Hummmm..

I had an AR-15 that I had never shot. I got it as a gift. I love guns and own quite a few. To me, the AR-15 is fun for one or two clips. After that, I am done with it. (my step-father has one so I have shot his and left mine in the box).

I thought, worse thing he could do was say no. I called him up, explained my thoughts, and here is the result.
cj-winch-1.jpg   cj-winch-3.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #10
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Then, failure. I was driving the CJ around town and something didn't feel or sound right. My heart sank. Fortunately I was on my way home so wasn't far. I limped it back.

After dropping the oil pan, you could see the crank with deep scoring. I mean, horrible marks. What happened?!?!?!?

I did some research and found an AMC expert up the road a ways from me and called him up. I decided if this engine was coming apart again, I wanted an expert on it.

After he got it apart, he was able to determine that the failure came from two directions. 1 - the machine shop I used made some mistakes. 2 - during the re-assembly process my brother-n-law and I made a mistake.

The situation sucked but what can you do? I chalked it up to lessons learned and had the expert take care of it for me. Not only did he rebuild it but he painted it to factory spec, put in a HEI, really took care of me.

For some reason, out of the 100s of pics I have taken over the past 3 years, I do not have any pics of the new engine in the CJ while still in primer.

Fast forward to about 2 months ago. I decided to sell the brand new soft top I had just purchased. I figured, with my Jk for DD use, I don't plan on driving the CJ when it's bad weather so the top was gonna stay folded down all the time. Might as well sell it, get a hardtop for the winter, and be done with it. Sold the softop to 1911Tyler and went and bought a hardtop.

cj-top.jpg
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Found a CJ hardtop in GREAT condition on CL. Drove to about 1.5 hours one way to get it. Got it home, put it on the CJ, fit like a glove.

Now it was time to get it painted. 1911Tyler hooked me up with a friend of his. I talked to the guy multiple times and we set things up. My job - to strip the CJ down as far as I can for the paint process. Easy enough right? I mean, I have touched every freakin' bolt on the thing.

First thing to do was remove the newly acquired hard top. I have a hoist in my garage so doing it by myself was no issue. I have done this will all my past hardtops as well.

Failure

Hoisted the top off the CJ and drove the CJ out of the garage. Then, while securing the hardtop with extra chains to keep it from falling, I lost my balance on the ladder and fell into the top. Needless to say the top swung out and fell off my hoist. Shattered on the garage floor.

Funny thing was that none of the glass cracked. There was no way to salvage the top so I took out the side windows and rear liftgate and sent the remains of the shell to the trash.

No pics of the mangled top.

Now what?? I started looking for another hardtop but couldn't find what I needed. Decisions Decisions.

Got the CJ stripped down and off to the painter we go! Found the one pic below that shows the engine. It is covered in dust but you get the idea of the finish on it.
cj-paint-plan.jpg   img_0997.jpg   img_0998.jpg   img_0999.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #12
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jeepincj7 View Post
beautiful! more! awesome job! How does it sound with the glass packs? Pretty loud I imagine?
Loud is relative. LOL My Harley is loud. This thing has a mean low rumble unless I really get on it on the open road. Love it. wouldn't change a thing.
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
AdamH07
2006 LJ Wrangler 

picked it up from the painter. WOW!

When I met with him I told him I wanted orange. I mean ORANGE. No offense to anyone here but I do not like red on anything, not even a muscle car. I wanted to ensure that when you looked at my CJ, you saw orange.

My 2006 LJ Rubicon was Impact Orange. In certain light it looked red. Didn't want that problem with the CJ.

Needless to say, Richie the painter got it right! I didn't expect it to be this orange but man was I happy when I pulled up to the shop.
orange-1.jpg   orange-2.jpg   orange-7.jpg  
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Great built story! Looks real nice!
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #15
Patter
1981 CJ5 

Turned out real nice. Congrats to ya.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.