ACK... it never ends! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ACK... it never ends!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-26-2002, 07:35 PM   #1
nvyblue_cj7

ACK... it never ends!

Yesterday I was backing my CJ down the driveway, and the engine stalled, and wouldn't start back up. Granted, I was low on gas, so i figured it was that. So tonight I put more in, and it still won't start up. Now, the starter is turning, but it won't fire up. I drained the battery, so I have to wait until tomorrow while its charging to do a complete check of everything. Any ideas? All of the battery cables are secure as far as I know. And as amateur as this sounds, hah, where is my starter located?

Nick

"pop the hood, POP THE HOOD!"
- a phrase commonly heard in my garage
nvyblue_cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2002, 10:52 PM   #2
hollywood

The starter is located on the passenger side of the engine. If you follow the possative cable from the battery, it will go to the starter selenoid (on the inner fender) and then to the starter. If your jeep wont start, but still cranks over, it is either a fuel problem or an ignition problem. You can check for a fuel problem by disconnecting the fuel line from the carb and cranking the motor - if nothing comes out of the line you might have a bad fuel pump or a broken fuel line. This is best done with two people so one can crank the motor and one can watch the line so that you don't end up spraying gas all over the engine. If you are getting fuel to the carb, try removing a spark plug, and (with it still connected to the wire) crank the motor and look for spark - again, best if done with two people. If there's no spark it could be a bad cap or rotor, or simply a bad fuse.
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2002, 10:19 AM   #3
4wheeler4CJ

Could also be in the carburetor, if you sucked some crap thru the fuel filter (being low). Might have sediment built up.

I have a Jeep (parts Jeep, no big deal) that won't start unless I use a shot of ether in the carb, because I have a leaky fuel line, and the fuel pump loses it's prime when it sits a day or so. Simply cranking the motor over all day won't prime the carb enough. Once it starts up, running on he ether, the RPMs are just enough for the fuel pump to prime up and it runs fine. Funny thing is it never starves for gas driving along, so that is why I suspect it to be simply a fuel line leak.

Just a little story, LOL, sometimes it can be something really stupid.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2002, 03:18 PM   #4
scottahicks

dont feel bad,, my cj-5 usualy starts no matter what but once in a while it wont let me start it withount pushing in the clutch ,,, I dont think it has a clutch lockout sensor mabey my jeep is as crazy as I am

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2002, 08:24 PM   #5
nvyblue_cj7

Hah, thats a good one four wheeler! I'm kinda thinking how comical it would be if that were a daily driver, having to prime it every time to start it up, lol.

Anyways, I found the problem, a wire going from the selenoid to the starter coil got disconnected from the coil. It looks like the connectors dont match, but when I connected them the thing turned right over. Figures, its always the siomple things that you think screw you over.

Nick

Unread 04-28-2002, 08:48 AM   #6
4wheeler4CJ

That's always the way with Jeeps.....99% of the time, it is something stupid, LOL

I tried starting my parts Jeep one day to run it, and spent an hour swapping out coils, modules, etc. (I have so many spare parts around, it's no big deal)

Then I remembered that I was playig around under the dash. I looked, and the one single power wire from the ignition switch was sitting right there in plain sight unplugged....LOL plugged it in and started right up.

I laughed my A** off (after a few 4-letter words to make myself feel better).
Unread 04-29-2002, 08:55 PM   #7
hollywood

That story must be some sort of initiation into the world of jeeps - I had the same thing happen after a tub swap. Its a lot funnier now though
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2002, 11:54 AM   #8
4wheeler4CJ

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by hollywood:
<strong>That story must be some sort of initiation into the world of jeeps - I had the same thing happen after a tub swap. Its a lot funnier now though </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Isn't it, though? It's never funny while trying to figure it out, then when you find it, you're too busy trying to kick yourself in the a** to laugh!
Unread 05-01-2002, 02:00 PM   #9
nvyblue_cj7

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's never funny while trying to figure it out, then when you find it, you're too busy trying to kick yourself in the a** to laugh! </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hah, and the funny thing is, every jeeper knows exactly the feeling were talking about!

Unread 05-02-2002, 07:33 AM   #10
4wheeler4CJ

Certainly one of the quirkiest types of vehicles, but that helps make them fun & interesting!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.