AcidLamp's Rat Rod CJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AcidLamp's Rat Rod CJ

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #31
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

First question....do you have a copy of the Factory Service Manual? That's your first step..

Don't expect others to take up your slack.

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #32
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
First question....do you have a copy of the Factory Service Manual? That's your first step..

Don't expect others to take up your slack.

Matt
Which one? The 84 Cj chassis and front end? The 305 Engine? the newly discovered 700R transmission? the Yj tub or the unknown suspension? That's part of my problem, I don't expect people to do things for me, but I have to ID this stuff before I can find Manuals. It's such a frankenbeast that any one manual is going to be of little value, particularly when the PO hacked everything so wildly. That's part of why i'm kind of dependent on help for a lot of this for the moment. If someone can direct me to a simple photo of say: what the wiring harness SHOULD look like with an explanation I can compare and determine how far off "normal" this thing is.
AcidLamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #33
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Keep asking questions Acid.

Matt knows he was helped a ton on this forum (others taking up his slack) before he started dispensing all the knowledge he learned.

I am grateful to Matt and countless others are so ready to help other jeepers with the problems we all run into.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #34
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapman View Post
Keep asking questions Acid.

Matt knows he was helped a ton on this forum (others taking up his slack) before he started dispensing all the knowledge he learned.

I am grateful to Matt and countless others are so ready to help other jeepers with the problems we all run into.
I will. Today I dug out the papers that came with the rig and that revealed a few more pieces of the puzzle, so I updated it into the profile info. I couldn't find anything relating to the axles so I assume they are stock. The suspension and lift seem to be a generic system from 4WDhardware. The parts codes don't apply any longer, so lacking more info that's the best I can do.
Unread 10-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #35
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Acid,

Scrapman is correct, the folks here have helped me a ton in the past, and still do. I've made some good friends, here.

Sorry for my snide remark last night. It just seems the forum is getting filled with lazy youngsters who refuse to do any legwork, themselves. Many don't have service manuals, nor do they make any effort to find an online version, which are plentiful. Their questions usually demonstrate little to no research on their part, and they leave out vital information necessary to solve their problems.

Case in point. This axle identification chart took me about 3 seconds to find with Google.

Matt
axle-identification-chart-green.gif

Unread 10-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #36
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

No need to apologize in the least. I'm happy to have any help I can get. My issues are less willingness to look, and more of: "I don't know what this is." This is my first vehicle that I'm actually doing the work on, and unfortunately I never had that handy buddy, or family member to walk me through a vehicle and point out which parts are which, and what they do. We always had fairly new cars, and had them serviced at the dealer. I'll admit my Google-foo is pretty weak, but I can't seem to find such a basic diagram anywhere. For example, it would be nice to be able to find a photo-style "Basic Parts of the 4x4 Suspension". Everything is parts specific, or worse in exploded form,which doesn't really help when you don't know how to visually ID a transfer case, let alone begin to figure out how you identify the model. After finding it, I can give specs, but I don't understand what those specs translate to in terms of performance or utility. My background in is fabrication and sculpture, so while I'm pretty darn handy, I don't have the mechanical background that seems to be required on any forum.

ETA: My rear axle is a perfect example. It has a 12 bolt pattern,but no codes anywhere, just a large circular depression on both sides. The front has 9 bolts and also lacks any identifying marks.
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #37
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Acid,

This is an excellent article for you to read and bookmark.

Matt
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #38
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Thanks Matt, I'll take a good look at this afternoon. I was directed to generic Axle chart, and it appears to be an AMC 20. The top numbers don't really correspond tothe chart, but it DOES have an "N" so I will assume that the ratio is 3.54 for now. Not that I've a clue what that means, mind you.
Unread 10-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #39
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

So After an hour of tracing wiring around, it turns out that the PO was just lazy and left me with FOUR bad fuses. Sheesh. 5.00 later and Ive got dome lights, CB, trailer lights and brake back. Next time I'll check there first. That'll teach me.
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #40
Tigerjeep79
1979 CJ7 

I believe that "N" on your differential means factory Trac-Lock. It was a limited-slip diff that probably worked fine when new. Do a burnout and see if both tires spin.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #41
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Tigerjeep, I'll give that a shot and report back.

Today's work involved getting some interior details cleared up. Since this is also my DD, a simple metal frame interior is a bit lacking. Having looked at quite a few ratrods, I noticed the ubiquitousness of "mexican blankets" used for seat covers, carpets and other trim. While that might be super cheap, I wanted something that had the look, but not the poor qualities of the fabric. Since the Better half needed to go to the fabric store for yarn, I toddled along to see if there was anything in the bargain bin. Well lucky me, It turned out that because of a sale, the clearance stuff was 50% off the clearance price. I quickly located a rather loud upholstery/ indoor/outdoor fabric and snagged what I needed. It's very "safari" but I like it, and the wife adores it. So far so good!
img_1519.jpg   img_1522.jpg  
Unread 10-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #42
titanjeep

1981 CJ5 

That interior is definitely unique. I am not typically a rat rod fan, but I am looking forward to seeing more of this build.

2003 KJ : 2002 to Present - Family Hauler
1981 CJ5: 2005 to Present - Build Thread
titanjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #43
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanjeep View Post
That interior is definitely unique. I am not typically a rat rod fan, but I am looking forward to seeing more of this build.
It's a weird fabric, but it grows on you. After I cleaned up my mess, and polished out the black leather seats, it all works well together. That stuff is the weight of a light rug, so it also helps with heat insulation and noise.
Unread 10-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #44
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidLamp
Tigerjeep, I'll give that a shot and report back. Today's work involved getting some interior details cleared up. Since this is also my DD, a simple metal frame interior is a bit lacking. Having looked at quite a few ratrods, I noticed the ubiquitousness of "mexican blankets" used for seat covers, carpets and other trim. While that might be super cheap, I wanted something that had the look, but not the poor qualities of the fabric. Since the Better half needed to go to the fabric store for yarn, I toddled along to see if there was anything in the bargain bin. Well lucky me, It turned out that because of a sale, the clearance stuff was 50% off the clearance price. I quickly located a rather loud upholstery/ indoor/outdoor fabric and snagged what I needed. It's very "safari" but I like it, and the wife adores it. So far so good!
How did you attach the fabric?
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #45
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather View Post
How did you attach the fabric?
For the door panels I cut a piece of hardboard and attached it with spray adhesive. I had already laid a layer of foil backed insulation onto the floor pans and body, so I simply sprayed both sides of the insulation and the back of the fabric and bonded it into place. It's easy to do, but it takes some planning in terms of cutting and shaping the pieces.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.