AcidLamp's Rat Rod CJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AcidLamp's Rat Rod CJ

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #16
bobby4361y

I love your adventure vehicle! I also noticed your Fla tag. Do you pay in the Ocala Nat Forest?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

bobby4361y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #17
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger-mech View Post
Great work on the snake/fish ID boards. Are the pic just varnished over? And the art on the side made me laugh. Hellboy/Dresden Files fan?
You got it in one! Well done! The process for the boards is a little more involved. You sand them to around 400, and lightly oil them. Then you attach the images with a bit of spray adhesive. After that, self leveling casting acrylic is poured over the whole thing. It's a bit like those tables you see at restaurants with things embedded in them. The surface is basically impervious to the elements and easily cleaned. The underside I left raw so that I can re-apply cedar oil as needed.
AcidLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #18
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby4361y View Post
I love your adventure vehicle! I also noticed your Fla tag. Do you pay in the Ocala Nat Forest?

Haven't had a chance to get up that way since I've bought the jeep, but It's on our list of to-do's before we leave the state for the rockies.
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #19
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Okay, Time ID the mystery equipment. If these pics aren't helpful, then just tell me what you need to see, I'll take them. Here we have suspension (front right), Suspension Front, Transmission, and Wheels.
img_1507.jpg   img_1508.jpg   img_1509.jpg   img_1510.jpg  
Unread 10-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #20
bobby4361y

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidLamp
Haven't had a chance to get up that way since I've bought the jeep, but It's on our list of to-do's before we leave the state for the rockies.
I envy you! Screw the ONF, head for the mountains!

bobby4361y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #21
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

That is a cool Jeep. I've got a system for my camping gear that works for me, but it's not nearly as James Bond as yours. And being an old rockabilly guy, I like the graphics too. Keep it up!
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #22
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerjeep79 View Post
That is a cool Jeep. I've got a system for my camping gear that works for me, but it's not nearly as James Bond as yours. And being an old rockabilly guy, I like the graphics too. Keep it up!
Will Do. I installed the CB radio today and I'm working on some portable interior lighting this afternoon. All of the interior lighting circuits do not work or have been removed so I'm just using LED tap lights and velcro instead. Cheap, and portable. Pics later.
Unread 10-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #23
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Well, I can't help on the suspension, but it looks like you have a YJ tub and hard top on that 84 CJ. You can see the YJ vents on the hard top, and a pop-riveted patch over where the YJ's gas cap used to be.

Welcome!, and cool looking jeep.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #24
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Light placement and a cheap but useful mod.

Okay, if you are anything like me, you use a lot of tools at once. and drop them under the jeep. then swear when you bang your head trying to find them, them knock them off the tailgate while fiddling with something and swear again, because they always find the ONE puddle of mud. I found a quick, cheap, and sneaky solution. A magnetic Knife rack from Ikea. HERE You just mount it to the inside of your tailgate with four tech screws, and Voila! no more dropped handtools or faffing about trying to hold a bunch of screws. Easy, fast, and takes up almost zero room. It will hold everything up to a regular sized claw hammer without complaint. Total cost: 16.00

On to cabin lighting. I mentioned upthread that I've got no circuits left for cabin lighting thanks to the PO. Rather than run more wires, I opted for a solution that is portable and doesn't drain the battery. These nice little three LED taplights come in two types; they look the same so check your packaging. One type has a strong little magnet inside the center, that is pretty useful for attaching painlessly to dashboards, roll bars, or in my case the potable water cans and tool kits. They don't put out a ton of light, but they will run for days on three AAA batteries, and put out no heat. Even better, you can take them with you and stick them under the chassis or wherever. I attached three Via industrial velcro to the inside of the lifting hardtop window. When up they provide ample light for night time work, repair, searching for supplies, etc. If you are short like I am and can sleep in the CJ with the passenger seat folded forward, they don't make a half bad nightlight either. total cost: 45.00 including velcro and batteries for 9 lights.
img_1511.jpg   img_1512.jpg   img_1513.jpg  
Unread 10-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #25
rplivin
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidLamp
Okay, Time ID the mystery equipment. If these pics aren't helpful, then just tell me what you need to see, I'll take them. Here we have suspension (front right), Suspension Front, Transmission, and Wheels.
Trans is a 700r from a Chevy. Engine pic from first page looks like a small block Chevy need more pics on it. Cool jeep!
rplivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #26
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplivin View Post
Trans is a 700r from a Chevy. Engine pic from first page looks like a small block Chevy need more pics on it. Cool jeep!
That seems sensible. I was told the engine was a 305 with around 100k on it.
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #27
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Here are a few night shots with the LEDs running. It is a bit brighter than the camera seems to be able to pick up. The LEDs cast a soft, diffuse glow over the entire interior. Not bright, but more than enough to see by. Adequate, I think for my needs, and not intrusive at all for camping.
img_1514.jpg   img_1515.jpg  
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #28
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

One more with all lights on and everything closed up. It lights up the cabin nicely without interfering with my night vision. Not a bad solution. Not elegant, but serviceable.
img_1518.jpg  
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #29
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Acid,

Your attention to cosmetic and accessory details is amazing.

That said, you'd be well-served by learning more about the mechanical details of your rig.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #30
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Acid,

Your attention to cosmetic and accessory details is amazing.

That said, you'd be well-served by learning more about the mechanical details of your rig.

Matt
Wholeheartedly agreed. I wish I had someone to go through it with me. I learn mostly by doing, so books are of limited value unless they are by photo. Any help I can get is welcome, but perusing 4x4 magazines is like parsing babylonian to me. I did post some pics upthread of the suspension etc. Thoughts?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.