JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   AcidLamp's Rat Rod CJ (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/acidlamps-rat-rod-cj-1667489/)

AcidLamp 10-09-2013 04:03 PM

AcidLamp's Rat Rod CJ

5 Attachment(s)
In which we chronicle my attempt to "build" a CJ that I actually want to be seen in. I started off by purchasing an 83/84 (there is debate on this, so you can see where the rest of the build is likely going. :D ) from a guy who just does older jeeps. My 5900.00 got me a nicely running jeep that the PO had performed a 305 V8 /auto swap on. He apparently also did everything as quick and dirty as humanly possible. However, I put that aside, because as this is my daily and not a toy, I need a dependable jeep, and this one performs nicely. Now I don't have any background in mechanics. I didn't have a family member of buddy to teach me, so i'm slowly learning this all as I go. Luckily, the 305 is an old school simple motor, so the parts have been simplified for me. I started off by doing a lot of body work and interior customization. This was to make it comfortable enough for the wife and I to take wheeling and camping. The goal was to create a good "all-around" jeep for trail running. It doesn't need to be absurdly fitted out for crawling, mud bogging, or sand running. The back seat was removed and I built in a custom fold-out "base camp" that also doubles by neatly holding all the camping gear in a stowaway compartment. Then it was on to sanding and priming the entire outside to get rid of the four different colors from my frankensteining the jeep together on the cheap. Once primed, we decided that we liked the rat rod look, so being an artist, I'm in the process of hand painting some absurd murals on the sides. The front got a simple face-lift and a custom hood ornament I cobbled together from a willy's wagon and a 50's chevy. I figured a little homage to the history of the machine was in order. THe roof rack came from a rodded-out rambler at the local u-pull-it. From here on in it will all get technical for me, so thanks in advance for putting up with my idiocy. I promise to listen, and I will crawl wherever I need to to get pictures if need be. In the meantime enjoy the abomination I have spawned so far.

Matt1981CJ7 10-09-2013 04:15 PM

Interesting CJ! It's not my tastes (paint and graphic-wise), but it's unique, and it's clear you've put some time and effort into it.

I hope those aren't gas cans that you're carrying in the back. :dunno:

Welcome to the forum.

Matt

AcidLamp 10-09-2013 04:20 PM

Nope. Potable water. We put them upon the roof and use a gravity feed for a little camp sink or shower. Thanks for the welcome! Ha! I just noticed that the back pic was taken before the priming was done! I don't miss that horrible blue.

83vert 10-09-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Interesting CJ. It's not my tastes, but it's unique, and it's clear you've put some time and effort into it. I hope those aren't gas cans that you're carrying in the back. :dunno: Welcome to the forum. Matt

X2. Welcome

AcidLamp 10-09-2013 04:59 PM

No big, it would be a funny old world if we all liked the same things. The murals are mostly there until we decide how to properly finish. There was talk of English racing green, amongst a lot of other options. We have a hard time deciding.

Matt1981CJ7 10-09-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidLamp (Post 16693969)
Nope. Potable water. We put them upon the roof and use a gravity feed for a little camp sink or shower.

Cool idea!!

It looks like your rear camp setup is well thought out and efficient. It's amazing how much you can cram back there with a little thought and planning.

I'd suggest filling out the rest of your profile, so we can more easily help you, if something leaks, breaks, wears out, rots, get's torn up....you get the picture. :cheers2:

Matt

AcidLamp 10-09-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 (Post 16695129)
Cool idea!!

It looks like your rear camp setup is well thought out and efficient. It's amazing how much you can cram back there with a little thought and planning.

I'd suggest filling out the rest of your profile, so we can more easily help you, if something leaks, breaks, wears out, rots, get's torn up....you get the picture. :cheers2:

Matt

Will do. One of the problems is that I really don't know what I've got. I've been under the beast a few times but I can't seem to locate any maker's marks, stickers or decals to help me out. I swear, sometimes I need one of those little "my first" cardboard books that points out what things are in big font. :D For example, I know I've got a mixed suspension with leaf springs and shocks. What type? I don't know, they are yellow. lol I know it's a shock, and it's yellow, but how to figure it out from there?

AcidLamp 10-09-2013 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a closer look at how the camp snaps out. Here it is set up in kitchen mode, but it can be used as a tool bench, or to clean fish and game as well. You fold out the table and lock the front with the angle aluminum, There is a pin that goes to a bracket mounted to the inside of the swing away tailgate, and the collapsable pole provides a bit of extra rigidity when using the cast iron. I've weight tested it to 160 lbs so it is plenty strong. I've also fabricated an awning that pops out over the back of the whole thing, with drop down sides of mosquito netting. Used properly you can use it as "porch" for two to sit in and cook dinner. It does double duty as a bug free patio when draped over the entrance of the tent. It's not a rooftop tent, but I think "ive got about 200.00 all in on both projects, which is a fair sight better than the 1500.00 price tag those things start at.

Matt1981CJ7 10-09-2013 05:45 PM

Dude, that's a great tailgate cookout/party setup you've made. I like it! :thumbsup:

A quick way to ID mechanical parts on your CJ is to post clear pics of what have. Some member will usually recognizes them.

Matt

skizriz 10-09-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcidLamp (Post 16695697)
Here is a closer look at how the camp snaps out. Here it is set up in kitchen mode, but it can be used as a tool bench, or to clean fish and game as well. You fold out the table and lock the front with the angle aluminum, There is a pin that goes to a bracket mounted to the inside of the swing away tailgate, and the collapsable pole provides a bit of extra rigidity when using the cast iron. I've weight tested it to 160 lbs so it is plenty strong. I've also fabricated an awning that pops out over the back of the whole thing, with drop down sides of mosquito netting. Used properly you can use it as "porch" for two to sit in and cook dinner. It does double duty as a bug free patio when draped over the entrance of the tent. It's not a rooftop tent, but I think "ive got about 200.00 all in on both projects, which is a fair sight better than the 1500.00 price tag those things start at.

That's pretty slick.:thumbsup:
Mine doesn't have a tailgate, and I have never wished I had one......until now.:drool: :cheers2:

AcidLamp 10-09-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 (Post 16696129)
Dude, that's a great tailgate cookout/party setup you've made. I like it! :thumbsup:

A quick way to ID mechanical parts on your CJ is to post clear pics of what have. Some member will usually recognizes them.

Matt

Will do. I'll snap a few off and post them up tomorrow. Thanks! :cheers2:

SKT 10-09-2013 05:51 PM

Certainly a different approach, but as others have said, you built a neat set-up in the back.

Do you have any pics of the awning set-up?

Also, see some handles/steps in/around the hardtop. Did you reinforce the mounting points to alleviate stress cracks?

Looking forward to following this build...

AcidLamp 10-09-2013 06:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by skizriz (Post 16696225)
That's pretty slick.:thumbsup:
Mine doesn't have a tailgate, and I have never wished I had one......until now.:drool: :cheers2:

I appreciate it. The goal was to create a kind of multi-purpose "adventure vehicle" for the wife and myself. A big thing is trying to use every little inch with as much versatility as possible, so everything in the multi-tasks. The bench has handy info imbedded into the tops. One is a sort of fishing primer with a knot guide, North American Edible species ID and a how-to on cleaning fish. A lot of our friends are novice outdoorsmen, so that always comes in handy. The second board has color images of all the common venomous snakes. So even while still being "just a surface" they are doing more than one thing. The cubbies are backless, which allows for long items to be stored from tailgate to under the front seats. When packed up, all the camping gear fits below the surface. Tools are mounted to the inside wall so they are out of the way. The hooks mounted to the roll bars can hold backpacks and also are spaced to be a rifle rack. Etc.. The bottom ammo can stores an emergency (empty) 1 gallon gas can, and the the top one holds all the hand tools.

AcidLamp 10-09-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKT (Post 16696289)

Certainly a different approach, but as others have said, you built a neat set-up in the back.

Do you have any pics of the awning set-up?

Also, see some handles/steps in/around the hardtop. Did you reinforce the mounting points to alleviate stress cracks?

Looking forward to following this build...

I did indeed. I used thick flat washers..I think 1/8" by 2" and that takes a fair amount of weight without creaking. I had a friend help out who weight tested it without issue to over 250lbs. I'm a shorter guy being around 5'7/5'8 so those points were important for me to load and unload the roof easily. I'm planning on getting a solar kit that I can unpack at the campsite to trickle charge the batteries (I've got a dual tray) and other gear we want to run, so roof access had to be easy. Sorry, i don't have any picks of the awning at the moment, I'm still working on it. When it's done I'll be sure to post it up though.

ginger-mech 10-10-2013 05:17 AM

Great work on the snake/fish ID boards. Are the pic just varnished over? And the art on the side made me laugh. Hellboy/Dresden Files fan?

The time now is 08:16 AM.