Acceleration Rattle - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Acceleration Rattle

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 11-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #16
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Tiger, that was my limited info as well. Old rubber lines and some carb Gaskets where supposedly susceptible. But Sunoco 93 seems to have not caused me any trouble on older and new Cycles. But 60 cents/gallon doesn't hurt as much when you're only buying 3 gallons. 20 Gallons for an afternoon=OUCH!

Unread 11-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

The 'Full Tune Up' makes me suspicious... As does the fact it sat with old fuel in it...

I'd check a few things, but before that...

The 'Can Of Marbles On Acceleration' is DETONATION, and it is doing damage to your engine! DO NOT allow this to continue!

You are getting enough fuel and correct engine timing at idle, but when you load the vehicle, something is going WRONG...

Old fuel can plug up main jets in the carb, and that will limit fuel delivery and cause this issue.
So will low fuel pressure/fuel delivery to the carb. A fuel pressure test AT THE CARB, PAST THE FUEL FILTER is required...

Full Load means lots of manifold vacuum,
I would check for vacuum leaks under the carb and at the intake/head, look for open ports on the intake, or even a cracked intake.
I would check the vacuum advance to see if it's working properly.

I would DOUBLE CHECK ignition timing to make sure it's not way too high. Both at idle, and with the RPM ran up to about 1,200 RPM, vacuum disconnected. See what the mechanical advance is doing in the distributor when you gain RPM.

What is your tire size and gear ratio? Some people with 2.73:1 gears slap on tall tires, and that will over stress the engine and cause detonation... With tall tires the drive line is putting too much stress on the engine...

Does it do the rattle in all gears, or just the top gear? Does it get worse the higher gear you are in?

Does it do this when you are highway cruising, then open the throttle a little? Go away when you downshift?

New exhaust? Catalytic Converter? New or the old one? Cat converters plug up and cause issues also.

These questions will allow us to diagnose the issues a little better...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.