AC dropping RPM - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AC dropping RPM

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 02-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #1
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

As the title states, when I turn on my Air Conditioning the rpms drop by about 300 or so. I have a 3 speed fan in it and in the summer it sometimes kills my Jeep when idling at a stop. Is this normal for it to drop rpms so much? I wouldn't think it would be. I didn't put the AC in so I'm not sure how it's setup. Any simple fix to this?

cwig12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It's normal for it to do that but you should have a solvac or something that should kick the RPM back up.

Lots of time when people pull off polution stuff, this feature gets yanked or made inoperative. It wouldn't be that hard to rig one up if you an find the parts.

Biggest thing would be this part on the BBD carb.

IF you are running a Weber or MC2100 then you will have to rig up something else.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Looks like I need to find one, the PO replaced the stepper motor carb with a rebuilt non stepper. (Carter BBD) Things are missing on it, one being the solvac. I guess he also tried bypassing some things which has given me a lot to clean up lately. Time to search ebay or something. Thanks John
Unread 02-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

If the stepper is gone, then the computer is likely gone too. Some folks just put the sol-vac back on it and use an electric switch to turn it on when needing a faster idle. This gets around the lack of computer control. It fire up either by vacuum or 12V.

Hmm thinking about it a standard 'Bosch' type relay with a trigger signal from the AC power line would do it automatically.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
cwig12
1983 CJ7 

Yeh, I'll have to check to see if I can find the computer. When it warms up I'm going to rip out the old wiring harness and put the new one in. Might just mess with it then. I'll probably end up rebuilding the carb at that time as well. The rebuild sticker on it is from about 12-13 years ago. Hopefully I can fix some of the major kinks that have been in the system. Slowly but surely I've been taking care of them. This is my DD so I'm getting it to where I don't have to worry and can rely on it to work. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.