AC Delco "excite wire" splice question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > AC Delco "excite wire" splice question

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
mbond
1976 CJ5 

AC Delco "excite wire" splice question

I've been on this site for a while, but never needed to post a question before because everything I wanted to know has already been answered. It's a great resource.

I've been in the process of rebuilding my CJ5 over the past 3 months and have run into a snag with my alternator excite wire. I have a CJ5, 304, delco alt and have completely gutted the ignition system and installed the teamrush upgrade with an MSD 6al. The PO completely messed up the wiring, so I'm starting with the engine bay and replacing wire for wire to make it right. He also had the alt excite wire hooked to the "I" terminal on the starter soleniod which through this forum I found out is not correct. I plan on wiring the system according to several diagrams that I found from Jeephammer.

Since I want to keep all the engine wiring in the bay, should I splice the excite wire with diode to the wire coming from the 6al going to the coil + OR splice it to the small red wire going to the MSD which is the switched 12 volt circuit? Just not sure if this wire needs to go before the MSD unit or afterward. Also, if the existing excite wire is still in good shape, can I still use it and just splice in the diode?

mbond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
frank c
1981 CJ5 

Why dont you P.M. this question to Jeephammer.
frank c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbond View Post
I've been on this site for a while, but never needed to post a question before because everything I wanted to know has already been answered. It's a great resource.
This is as much a Social Forum as it is a tech forum,
I post up on stuff all the time, especially if the OP (Original Poster) has his 'Fix' and the thread is 'Dead', then we use it to socialize without 'Technically' breaking the rules about keeping it strictly 'Tech' when we start threads.

There are a great bunch of guys here, and they have some REALLY good ideas, and their 'Day Jobs' are so diverse it's a great pool of information to draw from!
-----------------------------------------

Quote:
I've been in the process of rebuilding my CJ5 over the past 3 months and have run into a snag with my alternator excite wire.

I have a (Add Year '76) CJ5, 304, delco alt and have completely gutted the ignition system and installed the teamrush upgrade with an MSD 6al.

The PO completely messed up the wiring, so I'm starting with the engine bay and replacing wire for wire to make it right. He also had the alt excite wire hooked to the "I" terminal on the starter soleniod which through this forum I found out is not correct.
I plan on wiring the system according to several diagrams that I found from Jeephammer.
Connecting to the 'I' terminal ('Hot' when cranking with 12 volts, receives a back feed of reduced voltage from coil resistor wire when key is in 'Run' position,
It's OK to connect there, it will work, just like connecting to the coil 'Positive Terminal'.

Quote:
Since I want to keep all the engine wiring in the bay, should I splice the excite wire with diode to the wire coming from the 6al going to the coil + OR splice it to the small red wire going to the MSD which is the switched 12 volt circuit?
The 'Small Red' wire to the MSD that is 'Switched' is the way to go.
That switched source is what activates the MSD module (Turns it 'On' when you need ignition) it's PERFECT for the connection for the 'Excite' wire.

DO NOT forget the diode!
Since the alternator draws some power to get started charging,
But then turns into a 'Positive' output when the alternator starts charging,
The diode will be required to keep the alternator from activating/maintaining the MSD module when the key is in the 'OFF' position.

Back feed from the alternator WILL keep the MSD turned 'On' once it starts charging!
--------------------------------------

Quote:
Just not sure if this wire needs to go before the MSD unit or afterward. Also, if the existing excite wire is still in good shape, can I still use it and just splice in the diode?
Just run a wire any which way you want to, as long as it's 'Switched Source',
You can splice in, 'T' off the connector for the MSD,
You can 'T' into the line anywhere out to the MSD,
You can even connect at the ignition switch, run through an 'Idiot' light then out to the alternator so you have a 'Warning Light' or 'Idiot Light' for your charging system,
But you MUST use the diode in the line that feeds the alternator,
'Stripe' facing the alternator.

If you go the 'Idiot Light' route, make sure your light socket DOES NOT ground through the socket, it MUST have two wires, one for 'Feed' and one for 'Ground'.
Since you are going in with one 'Power' wire,
Then out to the alternator instead of 'Ground',
You don't want the socket to self ground or the system will short out.
--------------------------------------

You are on EXACTLY the right track,
And any splice source from 'Switched Run' power will work for you.
You know about the diode if the MSD is on the same feed line, so you have 99% of the concept down, the last 1% is just wiring and seeing if it works...

You have done your homework, you know the system, trust in yourself and do a hookup.
You can't really hurt anything, so experiment a little, then bundle things up when it works for you!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
mbond
1976 CJ5 

Jeephammer, thanks for the quick response and advice. I plan on splicing the excite wire (with diode) to the small red switched 12v wire going into the MSD.That will complete the engine bay wiring and I can start on the MC2100 rebuild and get this thing up and running. I did run my wiring (including additional ground wires) according to your diagrams which
Unread 08-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
mbond
1976 CJ5 

Jeephammer, thanks for the quick response and advice. I plan on splicing the excite wire (with diode) to the small red switched 12v wire going into the MSD.That will complete the engine bay wiring and I can start on the MC2100 rebuild and get this thing up and running. I did run my wiring (including additional ground wires) according to your diagrams which made it a snap!

Tags
alternator , charging , excite wire , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.