Absolute most minimal way to mount a winch? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Absolute most minimal way to mount a winch?

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutIntroducing the CUPHOLSTER @ OCONEE OFF ROAD 706 534 9955Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 10-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #16
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Now what's a "rock climber haul system 2-1 or 3-1?" Never heard of such a thing...
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

It's a pulley system designe
d to multiple torque/pulling power I believe.

Wellmax - how thick is your plate, I am going to build my own with flat plate across the frame and then a v shaped flat bar from the center to tie into the frame about foot or so back. Used 1/2 inch on the last one I built for an S-10 but that may be overkill on a CJ. I plan to run reese receivers front and rear for multiple uses out of one winch.

Unread 10-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #17
alljagged24
1985 CJ7 

Interesting,I'm doing my winch research,prob gonna be an 8000 lb also.......I'm glad you said the ramsey bolts to the bottom, that won't work.....I'm prob going to have bersk custom build mine bc I cut the ends of the factory bumper off and welded them to the sides of the frame and have semi truck. Tow hooks bolted and welded to the frame, prob gonna make it interesting putting a winch on

Not trying to hijack just wanted to receive all the replies on this post
fresh 258 .030 over comp cam ,clifford intake and header , holley 390 soa with procomp 2.5 in lift springs,2.5 in lift perches, d30 with detroit true trac, ford 8.8 performance limited slip 4.10 gears , 37 in iroks, custom bumpers and recovery points, super lined inside , no rust , fresh flat black paint, tested at trucksgonewild!!!
alljagged24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #18
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBoyAndHisCJ View Post

How can I mount a winch to my CJ-7...
Can you post up some pics of your '7?

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 01:05 PM   #19
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
Now what's a "rock climber haul system 2-1 or 3-1?" Never heard of such a thing...
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

It's a pulley system designe
d to multiple torque/pulling power I believe.

Wellmax - how thick is your plate, I am going to build my own with flat plate across the frame and then a v shaped flat bar from the center to tie into the frame about foot or so back. Used 1/2 inch on the last one I built for an S-10 but that may be overkill on a CJ. I plan to run reese receivers front and rear for multiple uses out of one winch.
do not know for sure, 3/8 thick i guess, but has been said before "do not go cheap" a lot of pressure on the plate and frame connectors.

another thing i will not do "hook the rear hitch to a tree, to keep winch from dragging the jeep when making a pull, if the jeep is being pulled along the ground with the brakes locking all the wheels, then that is about all the little jeep frame needs. you are about to tear something up on your jeep.
just my opinion.

most everyone wants a winch on their jeep, but not everyone needs one, if you know what i mean!!!!!!

have a good day!
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #20
1980tallcj7
1980 CJ7 

1/4" steel plate

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RWC-295137/
Unread 10-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #21
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the info, one of the reasons to have a "portable" winch is so that when needed it can be mounted to other vehicles, many people have reese receivers. A CJ is not a pull truck it is for carrying its own weight and nothing more. When a pull truck is needed enlist a fullsize long wheel base big block monster, but don't throw it in a hole cause you aint never getting it out if it don't come out on its own. I also can move the winch to a trailer, quick connects on everything you intend to use it for and a GOOD set of jumper cables with quick connects for those surprises, no reason to buy 3 or 4 winches. Just my thoughts, right wrong or otherwise, but again thanks for the info.
Unread 10-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #22
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I've mounted one with little less than two shots of tequila and a few kind words
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #23
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

That's just wrong, funny but wrong!
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #24
aBoyAndHisCJ
1978 CJ7 

wellmax is dead on— anchoring your Jeep at one end while winching from the other end will pull your Jeep apart. If you really find it necessary to do more than hit the brakes, you're supposed to anchor from the same end of the frame you're winching from.

@SKT— I sure will post some pics after I get a new coat of paint this week. Unfortunately, I set the Jeep on fire a couple of nights ago. Anything in particular you were interested in seeing? The M8000 isn't quite mounted yet...
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #25
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBoyAndHisCJ View Post

@SKTó I sure will post some pics after I get a new coat of paint this week. Unfortunately, I set the Jeep on fire a couple of nights ago. Anything in particular you were interested in seeing? The M8000 isn't quite mounted yet...
Nothing in particular, just curious what the Jeep in discussion looks like.

I didn't see any pics when I looked through your previous posts.

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #26
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Run a decent winch plate.. they weigh about 20lbs or so and are worth the safety margin. Swap to synthetic line and only fill the Jeep to 3/4 full in the gas tank and you'll come out ahead on weight..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
winch install , winch plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.