JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Absolute most minimal way to mount a winch? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/absolute-most-minimal-way-mount-winch-1274983/)

aBoyAndHisCJ 10-10-2011 02:56 AM

Absolute most minimal way to mount a winch?

How can I mount a winch to my CJ-7 using either a) the lightest, most low-profile winch plate possible, or b) some other fabrication or mounting technique? I don't want a heavy aftermarket winch bumper, and I don't even want a winch plate which is a single pound heavier than is necessary to safely operate an 8000-lb. winch. There's GOT to be a way to mount minimally, right? Or is this just a fantasy? Input, please, CJ owners, & thanks as always.

BagusJeep 10-10-2011 03:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is about as simple as it gets, a couple of brackets on the frame and a plate. If you want to save weight consider aluminium for the plate.

John Strenk 10-10-2011 03:59 AM

Why minimum? I would go overbuilt for the winch.
But I see your point on the bumpers.

yahwhy 10-10-2011 06:28 AM

receiver hitch mount, then you can have someone else haul it for you. ''GO PREPARED''

mopar346 10-10-2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yahwhy (Post 12297054)
receiver hitch mount, then you can have someone else haul it for you. ''GO PREPARED''

I agree and both on the front and rear with quick connects. I also agree that this is an area you don't want to go "light duty" on.

wellmax 10-10-2011 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
have you ever used an 8000# winch.

they are so strong they can twist the frame of a little jeep into a corkscrew.
you must pull straight with a winch and the winch plate must be mounted to the sides of the jeep frame. get under your jeep and look at the light duty frame,
we are not talking the frame of a 1 ton truck here, but a very light frame that can be bent easily.

just be very careful with a winch, if anything goes wrong, hitch comes loose, cable breaks, witch mount gives way, etc: there is a good change someone is going to get hurt.

i have a ramsey 8000# winch with roller on my cj-7, 1983, 4cyl, 4 sp, mounted to the jeep frame with the ramsey cj mount kit, that is what you want a jeep mount kit!!!!!!!!!
note to file: do not go cheap on the mount kit********

works great: i have pulled dudes out of ditches, small barns over, it's a great toy, but you just have to be careful with it because it builds up a great deal of stress on vehicle, cable, and item you are hitched too.

RobsCrawlin7 10-10-2011 09:02 AM

i understand your concerns but i wouldnt recommend anything but a winchplate or winch bumper. i personally have the superwinch mounting plate and while yes its heavy...its not to bad. like wellmax said, you can twist a cj frame easy with a winch. if anything just add a leaf or swap in some medium/heavy duty springs up front.

1980tallcj7 10-10-2011 09:02 AM

good advice by wellmax.
I have the Ramsey rep 8.5 on that same winch plate.... it weighs just over 100 pounds and I feel confident it's never gonna come off there by accident. (not a fan of those big winch bumpers either).... and personally, I wouldn't consider using aluminum for any part of a winch plate.

jeepin494 10-10-2011 09:05 AM

Minimal and winch mount should be used in the same sentence. I wouldn't skimp on mounting but I understand not having a huge bumper. I would buy or build a basic plate with 3/8" plate then buil a bumper from that or leave it alone if you want.

aBoyAndHisCJ 10-10-2011 03:48 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. CJ owners are the best! I agree with 100% of wellmax's advice, and I am well aware of the propensity of the CJ boxed frame to twist or even start to collapse inwards on the box even when a winch is mounted in standard fashion.

It's not that I wanted to skimp or go cheap, I just am trying to adhere to a sort of 'ultralight' philosophy if you will, similar to some backpackers & survivalists. I just want to cut the fat in every place possible on my Jeep. That also means no new-fangled, heavy aftermarket monstrosity bolted to the front of my CJ & messing up the character of the classic CJ.

Anyhow, I like the looks of your mounting plate, wellmax— any specs on that? It's low-profile and doesn't lift your winch up in front of the grille as much as some other CJ plates. About how much would you say the Ramsey kit weighs approx.?

Also, I don't know if a receiver hitch for hauling is the best option for me, as I do a lot of rambling/exploring alone vs. wheeling with groups of people— I just want to be equipped for reliable self-recovery.

Ryans, how's that 306 working out with your Corp. 20?

Redmanchew 10-10-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aBoyAndHisCJ (Post 12299577)
It's not that I wanted to skimp or go cheap, I just am trying to adhere to a sort of 'ultralight' philosophy if you will, similar to some backpackers & survivalists. I just want to cut the fat in every place possible on my Jeep. That also means no new-fangled, heavy aftermarket monstrosity bolted to the front of my CJ & messing up the character of the classic CJ.

drop the heater or something thats is of comparable weight and put in a correct mounting plate. THe stock one in the FSM looks nice but you have to remember what a stock jeep used to weigh. The Warn setup is actually tied in from the sides 2x and under 2x.
Think of anyone else your wheeling with. If a winch line snaps (overload or bad rigging), part of it is coming back at you. If a winch mount breaks then the leads (connected to your battery), the controller (in your hand), and the winch itself has now become a forward projectile away from you and possible toward anyone you are wheeling with.

Not trying to flame but just use your head and think about other peoples saftey first then yours.

gmakra 10-10-2011 06:51 PM

Yeah I know about the ultralight back packing mentality, been there done that. Cut the Lipton paper tabs off of tea bags, sleep in some over hyped 0 degree bag that really maybe a 20 degree bag. That few pounds that you save you sure give up some comfort.

But saving weight on a Jeep, come on!

If you want why dont you get a smaller winch say a 4000 lbs winch and set your self up with a rock climber haul system 2-1 or 3-1 and toss it in the back of the Jeep

wellmax 10-10-2011 06:59 PM

Anyhow, I like the looks of your mounting plate, wellmax— any specs on that? It's low-profile and doesn't lift your winch up in front of the grille as much as some other CJ plates. About how much would you say the Ramsey kit weighs approx.?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not know all those figures,

just contact ramsey or one of the other winch manufactures, but this unit fit the jeep frame holes and fit the winch, worked well and i have been pleased with its performance.

I had the same type winch on a FJ40 and got the mount kit for it, also worked fine on that 4x4.

be safe.

aBoyAndHisCJ 10-10-2011 11:25 PM

@Redmanchew— I don't consider you to be a flamer at all. Ditching the heater core & components is actually a brilliant idea. I think I will. You didn't read the thread, however— I don't wheel with anyone. I am a lone wolf. I do intend to use a 'correct' mounting plate— I just wanted to tap you guys' knowledge & experiences to find the lightest way to mount a winch to a CJ factory bumper, and determine whether or not there are any fab alternatives or mounting techniques I've never heard of. I can assure you, I'm a "safety first" kinda guy.

@gmakra— I myself am not in any way an ultralight backpacker, haha! I was just saying I was aware of those guys' weight-saving ideas. Cutting the paper tabs off tea bags sounds ridiculous! But it is important to me to try to apply a philosophy where I run my rig with with nothing unnecessary and have everything I'm toting around decreasing my fuel economy and jumping-out-of-a-ditch power for a specific purpose. I run a 232 6-cylinder. It's pretty beastly given the very light weight of an old '78 CJ if you ask me, but it's not a Hemi. It's not even a 258. And stacked on that 232, I have a winch, a Hi-Lift, two full Jerry cans, a full-size axe & shovel, tools, plus whatever gear required for the destination or trip; all my recovery gear is heavy. As for a smaller winch, you're dead on with my thinking on this a month ago— I was considering the Warn 9.0RC which has a 9,000 lb. rating and weighs in at a super 54 lbs, and is a smaller winch with a smaller drum which packs a lot of power. But in the end, the fact that it comes with only 50 ft. of cable and costs what two M8000s cost, along with the very smart tech guy at my local 4 Wheel Parts' simple comment of "you're getting less for more" caused me to scrap that idea. I settled on a still-relatively-light M8000 (75 lbs.) which I can run synth line through. As for the suggestion of running a smaller winch which is smaller because it's less powerful, like the 4000 #'er you suggested, that's not feasible for me because I do need the power of 8,000 lbs. or better for other work applications of the winch— logging, ranch work, pulling out strangers in bro-dozers, etc.

Now what's a "rock climber haul system 2-1 or 3-1?" Never heard of such a thing...this is why I'm on here picking you guys' brains. I'm open to any and all solutions, & I don't claim to know a lot, 'cause frankly I don't.

@wellmax— I'm gonna look into the Ramsey system tomorrow.

BagusJeep 10-11-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1980tallcj7 (Post 12297479)
good advice by wellmax.
I have the Ramsey rep 8.5 on that same winch plate.... it weighs just over 100 pounds and I feel confident it's never gonna come off there by accident. (not a fan of those big winch bumpers either).... and personally, I wouldn't consider using aluminum for any part of a winch plate.

Aluminium winch plates are available and weigh about 8 lbs to fit Warn winches amongst others.

Now before anyone says "it won't work" I would just point out I have never bought one, have no link to the company that makes them and they are "made in the USA" (and $140).

Anything that powerful needs careful thought before mounting.

The time now is 04:37 AM.