Absolute easiest/quickest way to put Dana 44s on a CJ7? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Absolute easiest/quickest way to put Dana 44s on a CJ7?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 08-22-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
nathanm40a1
1984 CJ7 

Absolute easiest/quickest way to put Dana 44s on a CJ7?

I am somwhat limited in my abilities working on my Jeep, I was wondering what the easiest quickes way to put dana44 axles on my CJ would be? I have an 84 so its already a wide trac, I wouldnt mind a few inches wider on the axles but would like to avoid it if possible. I do not know much about fabrication and wanted to know if there were donor vehicles that would allow a direct swap and if not what the quickest route to getting D44s on my jeep would be with no more than 2 to 4 inches wider axles? Sorry if this has been covered but I have a pretty specific idea of what I want and thought it would be easier to just post a thread.

nathanm40a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #2
garbageman
1976 CJ7 

Find someone who has already done the swap and is upgrading again. Then buy theirs. Direct bolt in.

For the most part, a little work will be required - grab some waggy axles and change the perches. Then outboard your springs of the frame. Can be done in a weekend.

** Always looking for Quadratracs (Original Borg 1339 cases and parts). PM me what you have! **
garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
Hank86
1986 CJ7 

Some of the 86 CJ7's came with a Dana 44. Its a direct bolt in. The only thing different is the u bolt backing plate are alittle bigger and you will need a little larger U Bolts.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214015/1
Hank86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Buy a 1986 CJ-7 WT D44 rear and a front housing that has already been built (with the diff not in the way of the passenger leaf), like this one:

Cj wide track 44 front - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.