Absolute easiest/quickest way to put Dana 44s on a CJ7? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Absolute easiest/quickest way to put Dana 44s on a CJ7?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-22-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
nathanm40a1
1984 CJ7 

Absolute easiest/quickest way to put Dana 44s on a CJ7?

I am somwhat limited in my abilities working on my Jeep, I was wondering what the easiest quickes way to put dana44 axles on my CJ would be? I have an 84 so its already a wide trac, I wouldnt mind a few inches wider on the axles but would like to avoid it if possible. I do not know much about fabrication and wanted to know if there were donor vehicles that would allow a direct swap and if not what the quickest route to getting D44s on my jeep would be with no more than 2 to 4 inches wider axles? Sorry if this has been covered but I have a pretty specific idea of what I want and thought it would be easier to just post a thread.

nathanm40a1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #2
garbageman
1976 CJ7 

Find someone who has already done the swap and is upgrading again. Then buy theirs. Direct bolt in.

For the most part, a little work will be required - grab some waggy axles and change the perches. Then outboard your springs of the frame. Can be done in a weekend.

** Always looking for Quadratracs (Original Borg 1339 cases and parts). PM me what you have! **
garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #3
Hank86
1986 CJ7 

Some of the 86 CJ7's came with a Dana 44. Its a direct bolt in. The only thing different is the u bolt backing plate are alittle bigger and you will need a little larger U Bolts.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2214015/1
Hank86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Buy a 1986 CJ-7 WT D44 rear and a front housing that has already been built (with the diff not in the way of the passenger leaf), like this one:

Cj wide track 44 front - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.