Above normal jeep frustrations. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Above normal jeep frustrations.

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
flyin8s234
1984 CJ7 

Above normal jeep frustrations.

I am on my last thread with my jeep (well not really but I'm pissed off at her.)
I have been having problem after problem and solving them, but this one is beyond me. I'm never lending my jeep to anyone again!
Heres her problem:
She turns over and starts-ish (she ignites but dies right away)
If I press the gas more it still dies just as fast.
She has gas
Gas is getting to the carb
she has spark

Any Ideas would be great!
Thank you

flyin8s234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Any chance the person you lent it to left the key on, but motor off? See if there is goo coming from your ignition module. Could be going, going, gone....
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
flyin8s234
1984 CJ7 

Hey the Ignition module shows now sign of goo. But I was told that my jeep was left on while the engine was off all night because it needed a jump this morning. Think its the module even tho there is no goo?
Unread 05-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
baldfatdad

fuel filter, rebuild the carb. I'm like that credit card company, with a carb kit. Never leave home without it.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Left mine on overnight one time, had to jump it in the morning, it started fine. The Jeep died 8 or 9 times in 8 miles. finaly 1/2 mile from home it would'nt start at all. Swapped it out for a known good (module) used one. That was a 1000 miles ago. Sounds to me like you've found your problem.

on edit. had no goo but looked like there was lots of heat.
bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Most likely the ignition module is dead even though it is not bleeding. Just be aware some of the cheaper replacement modules are junk and sometimes dead right out of the box. I had a BWD brand that lasted quite a while.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
vaughn202
1984 CJ7 

I have replaced two bad ignition modules in my Jeep over the years. On both occasions there was no "goo" or any other physical evidence that they were bad. But from my experience, leaving the key on accidentally for an extended period of time will kill an ignition module.
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
flyin8s234
1984 CJ7 

Thanks guys!
i really didn't want it to be the module but it sure sounds like it. I replaced that 3 weeks ago! god darn it!
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.