about to start restore of 1974 DJ-5 Postal... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > about to start restore of 1974 DJ-5 Postal...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
mobilemedic01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

about to start restore of 1974 DJ-5 Postal...

Hello all.

My new years project is to rebuild my old postal jeep I purchased when I was delivering mail. I am toying with the idea of getting a CJ-5 body for it and just make a Right Hand Drive CJ out of it

Heres what I need to know... It has a single barrel 232 inline 6... The tranny was crap in the jeep and I purchased a kit from novak to install a Chevy Trans in it. I have had nothing but trouble with the kit from day one. And It killed my chevy Tranny for the second time so I am not wanting to go that route again...

What Transmission available now will bolt up to this engine? Automatic would be nice, but a manual would be ok as well... just more stuff to install

Any help there will be appreciated..

Thanks!!

Brad

mobilemedic01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 12:06 AM   #2
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

I guess pretty much any CJ 6 cylinder trans will bolt up to the engine.

I repaired a mail TJ a few weeks ago...that was interesting, driving a right-hand drive vehicle.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 12:39 AM   #3
rokcrawler3203
1974 DJ 

Sorry for using your thread but PLEASE LET ME KNOW how this goes!!! I also have a '74 DJ and would really want to put a CJ5 tub on it. Everything on it is rusted and I've about had it with the thing. Mine's a left-hand drive; don't know if that makes a difference.
But please let me know cause it's been sitting in my yard for two years now.

"Of course I keep my dishwater clean, it just looks like chocolate milk and lettuce when I'm done" --Chance; A fellow employee
NITECREW #245

Last edited by rokcrawler3203; 12-26-2007 at 03:16 PM..
rokcrawler3203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2007, 01:24 AM   #4
mobilemedic01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

being that I am not too familiar what transmission will bolt directly to my DJ-5's 232... can you give me a few suggestions on the Auto side??

Technically would the trans from my 2001 wrangler with a 4.0 bolt to that block? (looks like same block)

i know its computer controlled, and not feesable, but I'm trying to find out what will bolt to this block so I can start looking for a new Trans for it.

Thanks for all the help

Brad
Unread 12-25-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
mobilemedic01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have 10 cents worth of advise for a Auto Trans I can pickup to bolt to my 74 dj-5's 232??

Thanks!

Brad
Unread 12-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

232 shares a 258 bolt pattern, which shares a 304 pattern, which shares a 360 pattern, which shares a 401 pattern, which shares a 4.0 pattern. Any tranny that will bolt to ANY of those engines will bolt to yours. You could bolt up a 6spd from an 06 Wrangler if you so desired.
On the back burner for college.
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #7
mobilemedic01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks That helps alot. I figured the block was the same....

Next question being I'm not a Tranny guy.. What should I look for in a 3 speed auto to bolt on to this that won't give me too much trouble. The original transmissions these postals came with are total crap.. Thankfully I'm not driving for postal anymore and no longer need something that only goes 2 miles an hour between mail boxes

If I came across a say 98 3 speed from a 4.0l Wrangler, is it not computer controlled? so I probably don't want to mess with computer controlled...

Please advise.

Brad
Unread 12-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

I would not bolt up an auto in a 5. The cj7 came out 10 inches longer just so that they could install an auto. The rear driveshaft will be very short. Not saying it can't be done but I would go with a t176 if possible. Good luck with your project.
Brady
Unread 12-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #9
supraman1990
1980 CJ5 

That DJ came factory with an auto, it can be done. But, I agree, I'd go with a 176 for the fun factor. If you absolutely must have an auto I would try to find a TH350 that will bolt up, I believe one was made, or their is an adapter.
On the back burner for college.
supraman1990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

I never thought about the dj not having a transfer case. I guess that would make alot more room. Learned something new today. Thanks!
Unread 01-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #11
RockJockJack
1969 CJ5 

DJ-5 2WD use A 727 904 or Warner M-11 Auto trans. Cross members are made to fit those with short tail shaft set up . Old style Pre 70 DJ-5 used 4 banger 152 Chevy with Power glide ( Two speed as opposed to 3 speed in other trans.

I have ALL of the complete USPS Service Manuals for years 65-83 .

Why anyone would want one of those with a CJ body is beyond me , but what ever rocks your world . RJJ
RockJockJack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2008, 10:08 PM   #12
mobilemedic01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My Dj is a 1974. Its purpose as a mail jeep is over but I thought it would be fun to make it into a RHD CJ-5. Is there any reason slapping on a cj body would be a bad idea?? I would like to change out rear end and front end. thought about adding 4x4 (not really needed)

Isn't the Frame the same frame used with the CJ-5 of the time? That is what I am under the impression of and why I am wanting to do this conversion?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

Brad
Unread 01-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #13
Floridazed
1980 CJ7 

I'd love to see a postal jeep restored as a postal jeep.
I've seen some Alaskan Postal jeeps, CJ-8's, but i'd like to see some cool pics of a lower 48 postal. Anyone have some pics to post?
Project "Vote Utilitarian"
Floridazed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:28 PM   #14
mobilemedic01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I figured I've never seen a Right Hand Drive CJ5. and now that I am not working postal anymore.. *just going postal* I decided why not make it useful to me again and turn it into a really cool cj-5 RHD... If nothing else, it will get attention

I'm pretty much going to build it from the frame up... I am assuming the frame is the same size as a CJ-5 of that year (i have to mesure it still, sure looks the same size as my 01 wranglers interior.)

I intend to find a wrecked something jeep and pull out any of the clutch pedel setups I can find and stuff in a 5 speed (6 would be awsome, but out of my price range) and see where I go from there. Disc Brakes would be nice, as well as new hubs to install stock jeep wheels from a late model (like my 01) and a 2 inch body lift to be sure all this crap fits under the body..... (may not have to do this depending)

I have had a few offers on bodys here locally in Phoenix in the 2-300 dollar range. Seems reasonable to me if they are in decent rust free shape.. hope to find out soon..

so Yep I am probably crazy but most people who do jeep customizations are a little out there to come up with what they do..

Thanks for any input you guys give....

Brad
Unread 01-18-2008, 05:02 AM   #15
twmattox

Not to hijack, but I have been looking for a few DJ parts. If you guys are swapping tubs, let me know... I would be interested in the vent located on the side above the Jeep emboss.

If anyone knows where else I can look, please let me know.
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.