9in rearend 50$ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 9in rearend 50$

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 05-13-2003, 01:28 PM   #1
soler

9in rearend 50$

I have a 1958 willys CJ5 Will this work with my Dana 18 t- case? Is this a good deal? It does not come with gears. Will this be able to handle some serious power? They want 50 dollars

soler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2003, 06:03 PM   #2
Milkman_Dan

so, basicly your getting a 9in case for 50 bucks? If it had gears it would be a good deal, but your going to spend alot more for the 3rd member. If it had it all it would handle some serious power. The next problem would be getting it to fit.

80 cj5
no body, but it's got 34's!
amc 20 w/one piece axle's
Milkman_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2003, 10:32 PM   #3
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

The T-case does not matter, as you will likely need a new rear driveshaft (more $), and you just need the correct yoke at each end. Also, 9" 3rd members are expensive. Lastly, on a nice short CJ-5, you may find that the low pinon on a 9" will create and unacceptable driveshaft angle., but since it will need new spring perches (more $), you could rotate it up a bit.

Seems like it's not worth the effort, and unless you are going to be running big tire and lots of HP, it may not be worth it.

But, what the hell, maybe it will work.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2003, 04:21 PM   #4
rustyCJ

a centered 9in behind an offset rear output dana18 in a CJ5? that would be an interesting rear driveshaft.
Unread 05-14-2003, 06:17 PM   #5
CSP

Quote:
Originally posted by CJeep
The T-case does not matter, as you will likely need a new rear driveshaft (more $), and you just need the correct yoke at each end.
Yes the tcase will matter. His Dana 18 tcase has the rear output offset to the passenger side. The Ford 9" is most likely a centered input. On a short wheelbase CJ5 that's just too much angle for any driveshaft to handle.

Other than that immediate obstacle, not all 9"s are created equal. Many are only 28 spline and have very small bearings.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2003, 07:25 AM   #6
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

OK!, mia culpa, forgot about the 18 and the offset

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2003, 10:08 PM   #7
maestro

i got a d44 offset rear out of a 75 wagoneer that might work out for ya, its in peices though and im in winchester MA

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.