96 Cherokee as for 4.0 swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 96 Cherokee as for 4.0 swap?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 02-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

96 Cherokee as for 4.0 swap?

I got a chance to buy a 96 Cherokee for $500.

I was thinking about swapping the the 4.0 into my CJ5.

it has about 190,000 miles Runs great except the tranny cross member fell off the frame....

A good choice for a swap? would the exhaust fit a CJ same as a TJ would?

Too expensive??

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

John the exhaust could be routed in the same manner as the CJ.
The 96 motor is a good motor last of the good heads on it.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

same year as my sisters, '96 Cherokee w/4.0L screaming motor.. wish I had the chance to pick one up for $500.. go for it!
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I was wondering how much harder to install since its OBD2
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

I'm currently gathering parts to do this same swap. My engine is from a '98 XJ. From what I've learned so far, OBD2 requires you to transplant both O2 sensors, evap purge solenoid, evap leak detection pump, and all associated wiring (in addition to the sensors/wiring needed to run the MPFI). The CEL is activated via the gauge cluster node on the CCD bus, not directly from the ECM. And the Data Link Connector is wired as shown in the attached jpeg.
data-link-connector.jpg  
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken
I'm currently gathering parts to do this same swap. My engine is from a '98 XJ. From what I've learned so far, OBD2 requires you to transplant both O2 sensors, evap purge solenoid, evap leak detection pump, and all associated wiring (in addition to the sensors/wiring needed to run the MPFI). The CEL is activated via the gauge cluster node on the CCD bus, not directly from the ECM. And the Data Link Connector is wired as shown in the attached jpeg.
CEL and CCD bus?

If you got time. Can you tell me more?

Can I use the ECM or is it engine tranny related?
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

A great engine at a great price.

It is a popular upgrade here as we have a supply of 1994 to 1997 cherokees assembled in Jakarta prior to the Financial Crisis of 1997 after which no one had cash to spend on new cars for a few years (and I mean no one apart from corrupt government officials and the Finance Ministry 8 who stole US$8bn from a fund designed to refloat the banks).

My local Jeep butcher (aka The Mechanic) puts OBD2 engines into CJs and converts them from automatic (all Cherokees here were 4.0 Limited autos) to manual with just the CPS sensor added. All the other electrical gubbins are carried over including the ECM and to be frank he finds the wiring the worst part of the swap.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
CEL and CCD bus?

If you got time. Can you tell me more?

Can I use the ECM or is it engine tranny related?
CEL = Check Engine Light

On the early 90's GM ECU's used as the base for many junkyard and Howell TBI systems, the CEL is switched on/off directly from the ECU. That is, the light is wired directly to the ECU.

With the advanced electronics found in newer vehicles, the processing is spread out. There is a controller for the engine, another for the transmission, and yet another for the instrument cluster. The CCD Bus is the serial bus that Chrysler vehicles use to shuttle around information among the different controllers. In the case of the CEL, the controller is in the instrument cluster. When a problem is detected in any of the emissions related systems, the ECM sends the CEL signal to the instrument cluster via the CCD bus. The instrument cluster controller then illuminates the CEL.

You can and should use the ECM from the donor vehicle. There are many systems controlled by the ECM that are probably not relevant to your particular Jeep (cruise control, A/C, electric fan, etc.) These circuits can be removed from the donor harness.

As I said, I haven't actually done the swap yet, I'm just sharing what I have learned from my research... YMMV.
cel-diagram.jpg   98_4.0_pcm_pinout.jpg  
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
J3PH3RY_J33P
2011 JK Wrangler 

for purely testimonial about the resiliency of that motor , my XJ is a Nov(late) 1995 4.0 HO and is 6,000 under 350k original miles . I change her oil every 2750 and am diligent w/ watching how the wife & kids treat her but I've not come across as tough a customer as the I6 from those years . I sure as heck wish I cod snag ANOTHER like this one with 'only' 190,000 miles on it ...I'd look into swapping it into my '11 JKU since this original is appear entry gonna last until the end of time ! (knock on wood )
just some inline 6 inspiration for ya.
jeep on...,
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #10
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

My 1995 4.0 Limited only has 130,000 miles on it and is a Daily Drudge. I have had suspension, drivetrain, fuel and electrical issues over the last 4 years but only once did it stop the engine and that was a loose relay in the Power Control Centre. The engine and injection system soldiers on under the tropical sun. The battery will evaporate all its electrolyte in 4 months, it gets so hot under the bonnet.

When the body gives up / gets rolled I will pluck the engine for Bagusjeep.

I would add this is my second one, the last one I had when it was only 5 years old. Great cars and great engines.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:45 AM   #11
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Is it a manual or auto John?

If its a manual Cherokee all sensors and emissions Equipement should cover it.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #12
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

You need to figure out how many nodes (control modules) it has, that year may only have a PCM and maybe a BCM (body control module). Those all communicate via the CCD bus. Think of it as serial data and all modules (mini PLC's) have access to the info passed along it.

The even newer ones have them in the doors and the dash in of itself is one as well. It saves on a lot of wiring. But then you have a little control module.
Unread 02-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It's an automatic. That's why I was wondering if I can use the manual tranny with it, or if I have to get a new ECM.
$500 is a nice price for time and having everything I need but if I'm going to have to start throwing $1000 of dollars into it, not so good.
Still got 3 kids to put through collage yet...
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

I'm pretty sure the ECM is the same for both auto and manual transmissions. The difference is in the wiring. For the auto, pin A6 goes to the neutral safety switch. For the manual, it goes to ground.
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #15
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

John. What trans is in it numbers wise?

42RH as a example...........

If the PCM needs to see certain things from the trans and don't you will have the check engine light on all the time. Should not effect running.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.