86 CJ7 Need Audio ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 86 CJ7 Need Audio ideas

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-03-2002, 05:12 PM   #1
JP4FUN

86 CJ7 Need Audio ideas

Finnally the jeep is to the point where we can add accessories such as a sound system.

I need some ideas on good ways to mount/install rear speakers. I like the idea of the overhead soundbar on the newer models. The cubes that fit behind the rollbar and the rear wheel seem to be the only option i have. Please keep in mind I want something that will not be easily stolen.

That brings me to another point, has anyone installed a cdplayer into there Cj? I do not really want to cut the dash (to keep the original integrety of the dash) to accomidate DIN units so has anyone installed a player in thier console?

All ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JP4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2002, 05:25 PM   #2
DIXIE

On your CD player you might check in to using an older Kenwood head unit that will fit in the dash without cutting it. Then go with a CD changer. You can usually find the Kenwood head unit on ebay, just make sure that it has the inputs for a changer. They are older head units, but at least you don't have to cut the dash. Hope this helps.
Unread 09-03-2002, 05:27 PM   #3
JP4FUN

Great idea on the changer, that had never crossed my mind.
Unread 09-03-2002, 09:05 PM   #4
DIXIE

You might check other brands of head units. I am not sure who all makes them that will fit in the CJ without cutting. It is not too often that you find new head units that still have the knobs and that don't require cutting on older vehicles. Good Luck with it.
Unread 09-03-2002, 09:22 PM   #5
JP4FUN

The other reason I really want a radio w/ the 2 knobs is that it looks less appealing to a thief.
Unread 09-03-2002, 10:18 PM   #6
dana60cj

I built triangular speaker boxes to fit between the inside fender and the rollcage to speciefic dimensions for a 6x9 and a tweeter.
You can bolt them to the wheel well too. Sounds good, and sometimes they prevent the mud from hitting the rear passanger too.
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2002, 10:26 PM   #7
JP4FUN

Do you have any pics that I could look at? Or possibly some plans and a material list.
Unread 09-04-2002, 12:09 AM   #8
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I felt the same way about cutting the dash. I was torn between keeping it original and the joys of quality CD sound. Well, after a long pro and con session, I made the cut myself and couldn't be happier with the results. Every DIN hole that I saw cut from a shop, looked like crap. They cut them out of square, rough, and with a large reciprocating saw that vibrates the instruments to death. I used a Dremel and lot's of time. I wanted it in the dash for a clean, stock location look, and a lot of C players don't like to be mounted past 30 degrees ( such as facing up in the console). I have the factory plastic console and mounting it in there wasn't an option. I even tried to figure a way to mount in the glove box, but no luck with the computer behind it. Anyway, I lov it right where it is. Theft? Not in the 10 years it has been there. It has detachable face and a blinking red light to look as if it is coded. Also, the Viper alarm helps too. Here's a cool tip I learned while working for an electronics store. Make a false front from that old shaft mount and place it where the new face popped out. I even removed one of the knobs and had part of a cassette sticking out.
Under seat (out of sight) , One 4 channel amp for the front 2 way 5 1/4 and rear 6x9 in Thor boxes at bottom of rollbar. One 12 inc behind the seat on it's own amp. Simple, powerful, and sounds great. I made the box where it "locks" in when the seat is up and has a matching carpet top to keep the 12 out of sight. It can be removed if extra room is needed.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2002, 12:25 AM   #9
JIM79CJ7

Tuffy overhead console . no radio hole in the dash is th route I went

JIM :{>

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2002, 05:50 AM   #10
JP4FUN

These are all great ideas, thanks! The glove box is an avenue i could look into considerin the computer is GONE!!!

NOt into the overhead option.

I also forgot about the detachable face.
Unread 09-04-2002, 04:04 PM   #11
jonesmatty

I have the speaker boxes that mount in between roll cage and wheel well. They really do the job. I bought Jensen speakers because they sound good enough and they are cheap enough to replace seeing as how I rarely have a top on. Suprisingly they have lasted me 3 years and going strong. They lock up well because you have to use an alan wrench to get them out.

You might want to consider getting one of the center consols with the steal locks that accomidate stereos and leave a novel looking decoy in the dash.
jonesmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2002, 02:19 PM   #12
Brock

I keep the factory AM radio in the dash(with only one factory speaker) and mounted the cassette player in a "pod" that mounts under the dash. It is out of the way and you cannot notice it unless you look directly at it. The dash looks the same as it did in '77.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2002, 12:42 PM   #13
bjwmrk

Tuffy makes a security console that has an open spot for a stereo or cb. it looks good and has has a cover and lock for when you are away. also if you have a hard top about 5 years ago i put two tens in a custom bosx behind the rear seat and it hit so hard that nobody would ride in by back seat when i wanted to jam. also seel horse has the speaker boxes for 6x9 that fit behind the roll bar and the also have a built in cup holder as well
bjwmrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.