JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   86 cj7 difficult to shift pops out of 1st (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/86-cj7-difficult-shift-pops-out-1st-958858/)

mastercraftka 01-28-2010 02:27 PM

86 cj7 difficult to shift pops out of 1st
 
when I put it in 1st gear and let out on the clutch it pops into neutral. If I really put my weight beind it, then it will stay in gear but shifting into and back down gears is really stiff. I hear no noises or grinding of gears or transmission noises any ideas. It is an 86 cj7 four speed manual.

boomvader 01-28-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercraftka (Post 8783068)
when I put it in 1st gear and let out on the clutch it pops into neutral. If I really put my weight beind it, then it will stay in gear but shifting into and back down gears is really stiff. I hear no noises or grinding of gears or transmission noises any ideas. It is an 86 cj7 four speed manual.

If I remember back to my days of youth with my 83 CJ-7 and T5 transmission, I think you have a bad synchronizer gear.

80cj 01-28-2010 03:34 PM

Is there a body lift on it that may be limiting full movement of the shifter stick?

mcurcio1989 01-28-2010 03:55 PM

I have never worked on a t5 but when my t150 was doing that it was the synchros. Wasn't all that bad to fix.

mastercraftka 01-28-2010 04:20 PM

Yes it does have a lift but it has been shifting fine for months now and i pulled the boot off to see when i am shifting and could only be hitting when in reverse 2nd or 4th and it is same in all gears but only popping out of 1st. So if it is the synchronizer gear what does that take to fix?

only in a jeep cj 01-28-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastercraftka (Post 8783930)
So if it is the synchronizer gear what does that take to fix?

Removing the transmission from the Jeep and rebuilding it with new synchronizers. Might as well do new bearings and small parts while in there.

mastercraftka 01-28-2010 06:10 PM

boo!! oh well is it bad to drive it short distances like it is until i can find time to pull it off?

only in a jeep cj 01-28-2010 08:36 PM

I would say no, it shouldn't hurt it anymore than it is mainly if its not making any grinding or strange noises while in gear. Try not to let it pop out and slam out of gear though. I have a unit that pops out of first gear, so I got in the habit of holding the gear in place until it was time to go into second....no problems.

mastercraftka 01-29-2010 02:14 PM

Ya i have been holding it and if i really push on it hard it will stay in gear. Just difficult to change gears. I was thinking about taking it out myself and seeing if i could get someone to work on it, what do you think i should expect to pay someone to fix this?

only in a jeep cj 01-29-2010 02:48 PM

HArd to say, you save some money pulling it and reinstalling it yourself, but I would get prices bothe ways just to see if its worth all the BS of having to mess with it. If you only save a hundred or so, let them do it.
I would be guessing, but in my area, about 600 to 1400 parts and labor. I've learned how to rebuild them myself and save a ton of money, but you have to have the tools, time, and know how.

mcurcio1989 01-29-2010 05:49 PM

I am not sure how the t5 and t150 compare but mine was fairly easy. I got all the parts for about 100. Honestly the hardest part was getting the transmission out. The job did not require any special tools. Your supposed to use brass drifts for a couple things but for me a wooden dowel sufficed. If you enjoy working on your cj and learning how thinks work i would say go for it. These are old American made manual transmissions. They are not exactly rocket science.

Do some searches on rebuilding the t5.

Btw mine did exactly that. It first started where it would occasionally pop out of second and then it got to the point where i had to push to hold it in. Eventually it will get to the point where it will not stay in regardless.

mastercraftka 02-01-2010 03:04 PM

Ya i want to save money and i think if i get if off and have my dad around, he is a mechanic from long ago when engines were more simply, i think we can probably make it work. Wasn't looking forward to transmission problems but oh well.

Coiz 02-01-2010 03:29 PM

It is likely the synchro but also be sure to check the shift fork and rails for being bent.

SlikRic 02-01-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcurcio1989 (Post 8791682)
I am not sure how the t5 and t150 compare but mine was fairly easy. I got all the parts for about 100. Honestly the hardest part was getting the transmission out. The job did not require any special tools. Your supposed to use brass drifts for a couple things but for me a wooden dowel sufficed. If you enjoy working on your cj and learning how thinks work i would say go for it. These are old American made manual transmissions. They are not exactly rocket science.

Do some searches on rebuilding the t5.

Btw mine did exactly that. It first started where it would occasionally pop out of second and then it got to the point where i had to push to hold it in. Eventually it will get to the point where it will not stay in regardless.

T5 :confused: he says in his first post "It is an 86 cj7 four speed manual."

mcurcio1989 02-01-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlikRic (Post 8805793)
T5 :confused: he says in his first post "It is an 86 cj7 four speed manual."


yikes i dunno why i said that. For some reason i thought i remembered reading that he said it was a t5. . . So i guess its prly a t18 then.


The time now is 06:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.