86 CJ7 died on me and won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 86 CJ7 died on me and won't start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAwesome savings at openboxoffroad.comNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 12-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

86 CJ7 died on me and won't start, stuck in a parking lot

Leaving a burger place, start the CJ and its normal start, about to pull out and it feels like its bogging down on me and dies. Wont start back up, all it does is crank.

Battery is good, cranking is strong.

Fuel, I cant hear it being sprayed in the carb when I'm cranking, and when I press the pedal. 1/4 of a tank left. Took off line to carb and fuel squirted out though, could something be blocking fuel in the carb?

Just won't start. Checked the Coil next to the distributor and while cranking gave me a huge shock I wasn't expecting, so that should be good. Hooked up my timing lght to each spark plug wore and I'm getting spark to them.

Choke is open, however a stranger stopped by and helped and covered the carb intake with his hand while ot was cranking and it almost started up, then died. Also starts fine up with started fluid bit then dies again.

I just replaced the ICM and it didn't do anything. So where do I go from here? Still sitting in the parking lot currently

Unread 12-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

Bump, in need of help fellas
Unread 12-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Almost sounds like float may be stuck. If covering the carb had it almost start, it sounds as if too much fuel is going in. Your spark plugs may give you some clue. Pull one, check it out and see if it smells of gas and is wet.

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum app
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg6772 View Post
Almost sounds like float may be stuck. If covering the carb had it almost start, it sounds as if too much fuel is going in. Your spark plugs may give you some clue. Pull one, check it out and see if it smells of gas and is wet.

Thank you for a reply! I finally got a ride home but the CJ is stuck at the burger joint

Going back tomorrow and will bring tools to open up the top of the carb. Could a stuck float also mean too much gas?

Hope its this, cus I already replaced the ICM for it to not affect anything
Unread 12-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #5
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Yes it could. I would determine the exact failure before jumping to any conclusions. Throwing good money at it and not fixing it will get you no where but frustrated.

That said, get it home do some investigating, give us as much info as you can and let's see if we can help you figure it out.... There are some great people on here with much insight.

dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #6
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

There can be symptoms of fuel flowing out of the overflow when having a stuck float due to debris in the bowl also, if so do not run. It sounds like you think it is flooded, I don't know that for sure! So before you take anything apart, using a fresh battery try to start. If no start, no gas? drop a quarter ounce of gas, down the carburetor throat. Try to start, if it starts and then stops, it is a fuel problem. keep a rag handy to put out a small back fire - FIRE fire = smother it with a rag no big deal.
Check gas filters, fuel pressure, clean the fuel bowl then all air passages and jets in the carb. last if required.
Good luck.
RN
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Your choke should not be open. That is a problem that will affect starting. Choke closes pretty fast once power is taken away.
I first would look down the carb while giving the throttle a shot to verify two sprays of gas are happening. If not, then your float needle might have stuck. The needle and seat are in the brass fitting the gas line screws into on the stock carb. This can be removed from the outside. It is best to mark where the brass fitting sits because it affects the float level and use two wrenches on it, one for the brass and one for the gas line.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I'm going the other way...

If it starts fine with starting fluid, have a look at the fuel pump.

I would start by taking the fuel line off AFTER the filter,
Put a glass jar under the line, something you can see through,
And crank the engine about 30 seconds.
You should have a solid pint in 30 seconds, probably more.

There are a couple of other things you should probably do,
A see through fuel filter will tell you if there is a leak in the suction line somewhere.
You will see bubbles in the incoming fuel.

If you get pressure, but little or no fuel, hole in a suction line.

ANY fuel leak at the pump or down the block, bad fuel pump, replace IMMEDATELY!
Remember that 'Shock' you got? That and a dozen other things are ignition sources, you don't want a fire!
Bubbles in the fuel stream also mean fuel vapor is getting out somewhere...

Good differental diagnosis on the starting fluid, by the way.
Starting fluid is the way I routinely diagnose between fuel/ignition issues.
It's usually a slam dunk diagnosis.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

After reading all these responses I'm reminded that when I would work the throttle myself on the linkage I could NOT hear any fuel being sprayed. It was too dark at that time to see into the carb throats for the fuel. Any way, When I get back over there today I'm going to take the top off the carb and check the float. As soon as the Jeep stalled And I saw that i had fuel pressure coming out I began to think the problem lay in the carb...

FYI the fuel pump is a month old, rubber fuel lines in engine area are brand new along with clamps.

and to rehash, I connected my timing light to the ignition coil to distributor wire and got a consistent spark then, to the first three wires on the right, cylinders 1.2. and 3. All had good spark, timely too. Replaced the ICM stupidly, had to cut the wire to keep using my nutter bypass, so it is nonreturnable...but at least thats new haha. Battery is good, posts are clean, battery leads have been recently replaced.

So, if you have any questions for me, let me know. IF it IS the float and its no longer floating (hoping its just stuck) what do I do? I doubt any local place has Weber parts in stock. Any thing makeshift I can do to get it home, (about 2 or 3 miles)
Unread 12-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

UPDATE
Took apart the carb and found a little screw in one of the fuel (pools?) not sure if that was a contributing factor, screwed it back into the long spiral spring thing in between the float and put her back together and she fired up instantly, so happy ending. I'll probably rebuild the whole carb again for good measure in the future.

THEN when I'm getting gas I notice a huge pool of oil under the Jeep! My power steering box or hose is just streaming a leak of oil! One thing after another!! So hopefully its just a hose that needs to be tightened, We'll see

Thanks for all the help guys, Couldnt have done it without ya'll!
Unread 12-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Don't believe everything the gauge tells you. Mine is empty just under 1/4 tank. Learned that the hard way.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.