85er CJ-7 small electric Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 85er CJ-7 small electric Problem

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread 03-27-2014, 03:22 AM   #1
miami-boy
1985 CJ7 

85er CJ-7 small electric Problem

Hello people,
have a small electrical problem with my '85 CJ-7 I have completely restored it and've found now that if I had not turned on the ignition, you can turn on the light. Only the low beam, not the high beam. Also go all the instrument lights. Does anyone have an idea what I could have clamped wrong? Have the harness actually mounted so again as I have removed it.
Thanks for any tip

Greetings from Germany
miami-boy

miami-boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 03:50 AM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The lights (headlights low and high beam, tail lights, instrument panel lights and side marker lights) are not from the ignition switch. You can turn them on at any time.

I attach a diagram of the ignition switch and fuse box which shows the panel lamps being fed from the light switch. Missing from the diagram is the headlight feed that comes from the same switch.

The high beam and low beam are fed from the same supply, it is switched between hi and low by the floor switch (not shown on diagram). You may have a problem with the switch itself, the connections to the switch etc. Can you turn on the high beam with the ignition on??
84-86fuseboxsch-copy-2-.jpg

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Can you turn on the high beam with the ignition on??
Yes, that would be my question also..
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 03:01 AM   #4
miami-boy
1985 CJ7 

good morning people,
sorry I am just now melde.hatte problems with my internet.
I have the problem found. it was due to a bad mass verbindung.ich now have a new earth wire directly from the battery gelegt.das fernlicht goes even if I turn on the light without ignition.
the matching accuracy of the older tubes by juan rommel are! ....! I've now also done!
Which oil do you ride on the steering servo? In my old Chilton Book I is also possible to use 80W90, is that correct?
And the last question for today , i use the AMC 20 with a Full Floater at rear , if the AMC 20 need a Limited Slip Additive ???

Thanks for your help, you are a great forum!

greetings from germany
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:37 AM   #5
miami-boy
1985 CJ7 

Which oil do you ride on the steering servo? i read in my old Chilton Book , is also possible to use 80W90, the same was i have into the axles in front and rear is that correct?
I use the AMC 20 with a Full Floater Kit at rear , if the AMC 20 need a Limited Slip Additive or not ???

thanks for the response
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Power steering takes Dexron ATF.

You only need limited slip stuff if you have one. To check, jack up both rear wheels and turn one by hand. If the wheel on the other side turns the same way, you have a traction device, if the tire turns the opposite way, you have an open diff or worn out traction device.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post

You only need limited slip stuff if you have one. To check, jack up both rear wheels and turn one by hand. If the wheel on the other side turns the same way, you have a traction device, if the tire turns the opposite way, you have an open diff or worn out traction device.
b

I have found that the addition of an oil additive for the limited slip would restore that function if the oil had no additive.

I have one rear axle that I though was an open diff until I pulled the cover off and found the limited slip. I added the friction modifier to the oil and it started to work great until I spun the hubs....
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
b

I have found that the addition of an oil additive for the limited slip would restore that function if the oil had no additive.

I have one rear axle that I though was an open diff until I pulled the cover off and found the limited slip. I added the friction modifier to the oil and it started to work great until I spun the hubs....
So if in doubt, add the stuff I guess eh. It won't hurt anything except your pocketbook.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Or check the axle code on the axle. That is was got me curious that I pulled off the cover.
Unread 04-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #10
miami-boy
1985 CJ7 

ok I check tomorrow once the tip with the wheels, because on the case I can not see any more code.
The Dexron ATF is purchased.
is now just the final phase to the CJ to finish, and much is new for me because everything has made my dad before he died is up.
there are now all just have to do little things, but staying ....
I just have problems to adjust the doors .... still has the msd ignition modules install and wire, the axle oil change, transmission oil change, put fuel lines for electric gas pump and the pump (Carter)
then I have to turn the distributor slightly because the vacuum outlet is too close to the V-belt from the power steering pump

thanks for your help !!!

regards miami-boy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.