85 Jeep CJ7 Carb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 85 Jeep CJ7 Carb

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-05-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
cbingel
1985 CJ7 

85 Jeep CJ7 Carb

I just bought a Carter 2bbl carb for $150. I understand if this might not be what you'd do but my skills are limited and time (mostly skills). It has the factory Carter Carb on it and the replacement was ND 2904 at National Carb.

Am I in for huge surprises? Is it hard to replace a full carb or am I just worried about the complexity or maybe the lack of complexity...

Due to age parts have broke or went missing in the acquisition of the vehicle. I know of the rebuild kits but a main component that I am missing is the choke arm from throttle to choke which passes threw top portion of the carb. I've looked many places. The one "bolt" that attached to the left side of the carb broke upon removal went attempting to clean the jets.

So when I get it in 3-10 days... I want to prepare for the surprises or maybe some thing I could complete along the journey of removing the carb to make life easier.

Let me know your thoughts please... any thing is helpful...

thank you!

Chris

cbingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbingel View Post
I just bought a Carter 2bbl carb for $150. I understand if this might not be what you'd do but my skills are limited and time (mostly skills). It has the factory Carter Carb on it and the replacement was ND 2904 at National Carb.

Am I in for huge surprises? Is it hard to replace a full carb or am I just worried about the complexity or maybe the lack of complexity...

Due to age parts have broke or went missing in the acquisition of the vehicle. I know of the rebuild kits but a main component that I am missing is the choke arm from throttle to choke which passes threw top portion of the carb. I've looked many places. The one "bolt" that attached to the left side of the carb broke upon removal went attempting to clean the jets.

So when I get it in 3-10 days... I want to prepare for the surprises or maybe some thing I could complete along the journey of removing the carb to make life easier.

thank you!

Chris

If it's a remanufactured carb (which it should be for that price) then it should have those parts already on it. Bolt it up with proper gaskets, hook up your throttle cable, fuel line, electric choke and if you have them other electronic connectors. It should start right up though the choke may need adjusting and the idle mix may need tweaking.
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
locohosa
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbingel View Post

thank you!

Chris
I speak with no first hand experiance, but be aware that when you put the fuel line on I believe you need two wrenches.

If you spin the fitting deeper into the carb then your float will no longer be adjusted correctly.
1955 M35A2 6x6
locohosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
SouthernGypsy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by locohosa View Post
I speak with no first hand experiance, but be aware that when you put the fuel line on I believe you need two wrenches.

If you spin the fitting deeper into the carb then your float will no longer be adjusted correctly.

True though if it's already properly snug the float should be adjusted correctly and it shouldn't be able to screw in enough extra to affect the float, again, unless it wasn't tightened properly to begin with.

A bigger risk is that if you don't hold the larger fitting 9/16" in place so it doesn't turn in the carb while you screw in your smaller 1/2" fitting into it, you can over-tighten the brass fitting and strip the threads in the aluminum carb bowl at which time you have yourself a nice paperweight for your desk until you can obtain a new carb body.
SouthernGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

At that price if it's new-Just might be a China knock off.
Where did you get the carb?
You really need to get a copy of the REAL, Factory Service Manual(MR-252).
Haynes/Chilton just don't cut it.
You are still going to need to adjust the carb for your Jeep.
LG
Unread 02-06-2014, 06:03 AM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

LG, the op states he bought the carb from National Carb. It will be a real Carter, and it should look and operate like new. They are a great company.
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Matt-YUP, he sure did and I missed that
THX, for the 'heads-up'
$150.00 sounds like a very good deal for that Carter.
LG
Unread 02-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by locohosa
I speak with no first hand experiance, but be aware that when you put the fuel line on I believe you need two wrenches. If you spin the fitting deeper into the carb then your float will no longer be adjusted correctly.
+100 I wish more realized this. Its a fiber washer. It will go in deeper.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.