85' CJ7 will turn over but will not start. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 85' CJ7 will turn over but will not start.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
HRW85CJ7
1985 CJ7 

85' CJ7 will turn over but will not start.

I have a 85' CJ7 with the original 258ci straight 6. Problem: Major difficulties starting when cold. It turns over strong, but will not start. Once its running. It runs strong and starts without incident. I have put in a new fuel pump and rotor, and have rebuilt the Webber carb. Any ideas? Thanks.

HRW85CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
jguess1

I have the same problem now, minus the cold part. Mine will turn over but not start. It was running fine and now will not start. How did you end up fixing your problem?
jguess1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
tljones210
1985 CJ7 

You probably have looked, but I had a tear in vacuum hose where it bent under carb. Looked fine until I really stretched it straight. It would try and start, and crank intermittently until it got to far gone. Easy solution and good place start.
tljones210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
jguess1

Awesome I will try to pick one up tomorrow and give it a try. Thanks for the cheap recommendation.
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
rplivin
1985 CJ7 

Check the operation of the choke also. If its not adjusted or working properly you will have cold start issues. Also if you have the factory filter make sure it's orientated correctly.
rplivin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
jguess1

Vacuum hose was the fix. Thanks for your help!
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
tljones210
1985 CJ7 

Got to love it when it is cheap and easy... the few times it actually works out that way at least
tljones210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
cj5huntingrig
1974 CJ5 

9 times out of 10 it's vacuum related on these engines
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
jguess1

Not sure if you saw my other post

Ok so I thought my problem was fixed but its not. Turns out I am not get fuel to carb I guess. I just pour a few drops directly into the carb and it started right up. Then it ran fine until I turned it off. What would you all recommend to do first. I just replaced the fuel filter and lines from the electric fuel pump to the carb.
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
RobinMasters
1985 CJ7 

I was having a similar problem - jeep would run but when I left it sitting for any period of time, it wouldn't start. checked the ignition module, coil and distributor and was getting a good spark. Also ran through the entire fuel system and everything seemed fine. There were 2 very simple issues.

First thing you want to check is that your fuel filter is installed correctly. The 2 outlets need to be positioned properly - the line running to the carb must be at 6 'o clock and the return line at 12' o clock. If installed upside down or sideways the fuel has to fill the filter before it will pump into the carb...gravity needs to do its job.

Second thing to check is the needle valve on the fitting going to the carb. Problem I found (after wasting several hours looking everywhere else) was that the needle valve was sticking. Took out that fitting and noticed that the needle wouldn't fall out. Tried to blow it out with my mouth (gotta be able to blow 10+ psi), and wouldn't move. Fuel line only has about 7 psi... Got a new fitting and needle valve with a rebuild kit ($20) and since replacing it, the jeep starts great.
RobinMasters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #11
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

jguess1,

You need to be methodical about your investigations and test rather than assume and replace.

I have picked up that you have an electric fuel pump of unknown capbilities, a three way fuel filter and a Weber carb,type unknown.

First thing is to check the ignition is working correctly, a strong crisp spark. Check you have battery voltage (12V) at the coil in Start and about 7V otherwise.

Next thing is to check fuel flow. You have an electric pump so unhook the line from the carb and put it in a bottle.Turn on the ignition and see how much fuel you get.

If you get a good amount it is not the fuel supply.

Next take the top off th ecarb and pump the throttle linkage. If you get a good spurt of fuel you have fuel in the carb.

Next thing to check is choke and mixture. Get yourself a manual and chack the choke is set up properly. No offence intended buit also check you are following the correct procedure for starting with that carb.

Last thing is to check all vacuum hoses for splits etc. And then the manifold gaskets.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
MountainHound

1979 CJ7 

^^^^^
x2

If you have fuel, good spark then I check the carb as it sounds like a choke issue. Hard to say without knowing exactly the carb. type and what type choke etc... .
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHound View Post
^^^^^
x2

If you have fuel, good spark then I check the carb as it sounds like a choke issue. Hard to say without knowing exactly the carb. type and what type choke etc... .
Did any one realize the first post was from 2009?
As stated fuel filter connections and if you still have the Carter bbd the float loves to stick also not allowing gas flow.
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #14
MountainHound

1979 CJ7 

nope...need to look more carefully at the post dates from now on
Unread 08-21-2013, 03:08 AM   #15
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRic View Post
Did any one realize the first post was from 2009?
Yep, but jguess1 resurrected it, a zombie thread maybe but a current problem.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.