Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

85 cj7 no electronic anything

598 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  paveland 
#1 ·
Ok here is what I want to do or is it possible, I want make it run like a old school engine no electronic Anything and basic no emmissions or anything what needs to be done, i want to keep the 258. I'm having nothing but problems with the carb choke and all that, I basically want it like my buddy's old 73 cj5 just straight forward and easy to work on. If so is it about like doing the nutter bypass?

#2 ·
First though, if you are goin to dumb 'er you going to have to make sure the engine is in good condition. Do a compression test and a leakdown test if you can.
No sense in chasing your tail thinking it's going to run better if you have some basic problems.

Also get a vacuum gauge and see if you have any leaks in the manifold. or anyplace.

Yes, it's like doing a Nutter bypass.

Just for fun, IF you really want to dumb 'er down to a 0 emission 73, Read on
1st thing, the 73 Had points in the distributor, Just what you need come Zombies or EMP. Pretty soon you'll be real good at setting the gap with a matchbook cover. Just find a good Dwell meter first so you can learn.
Then you have to get a 1bbl manifold and a new YF carb. Simplest one you ever play with. No fancy adapters to some exotic Ferrari Weber gas hole in a '73. Just a simple 1 God, 1 country, 1 man, 1 jeep, 1 barrel. It's when you get greedy and start doublin up on stuff that you get in trouble....

It's AMC Bro, AMERICAN Motors.!!! No import stuff here!! (I was always a little suspicious of the Kaiser Jeep. Know what I mean?? )

Get rid of all the hoses and run a road draft tube. No fancy smancy PCV here folks, if my great grandfather didn't need one neither do I. !!!!

EGR?? Heck, who likes breathing in your own farts, Drop the EGR and let the next generation worry about cleaning up the atmosphere.

Charcoal canister? you might not notice but raw gas fumes keeps the skeeters away and keeps you healthy unless you're dumb enough to smoke in all those gas fumes.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.