85 CJ7 needs the BEST Theft Deterrents_URGENT! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 85 CJ7 needs the BEST Theft Deterrents_URGENT!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
1985 CJ7 

85 CJ7 needs the BEST Theft Deterrents_URGENT!

Hey Guys,

I am in need of serious advice regarding the protection of my Jeep. It has the hard top w/ hard doors, locking STEEL center console and equipped with a Viper Alarm that includes a Proximity Sensor. I also ALWAYS club my steering wheel. It has come to my attention that some individuals are now eyeing the Jeep. So, I need advice on how BEST to protect it from an EASY & QUICK steal.

I've heard it all in reference to taking any vehicle so just tell me what I can do to add peace of mind. I can manage from there. In addition to what I already have, what other steps can I take to discourage an easy take?

I have surveillance cameras all a round and one directly in view, 24/7, of the Jeep. I believe if outsiders get involved, they won't care about cameras.

Anyway, I'd rather play it SAFER and do what I can to decrease the chances of anything bad happening. I would not be asking if I didn't feel this was a concern, but reliable sources gave me the heads up. I just need to do what I can now to deter their actions.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I hate bad elements of life!

258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
JordanAssemb
2001 WJ 

Do you have a hood lock? If so, then I'd suggest disabling it from under the hood in some way.

Also, there are a few gps trackers on the market, some of which can be used to disable certain systems on the car, maybe consider getting one of those as well?
JordanAssemb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanAssemb View Post
Do you have a hood lock? If so, then I'd suggest disabling it from under the hood in some way.

Also, there are a few gps trackers on the market, some of which can be used to disable certain systems on the car, maybe consider getting one of those as well?
I do have a hood lock.

What is the best, or several of the best things I can do under the hood? (coil wire, a fuse maybe?)

What Brand GPS are you speaking of? I read that those can sometimes be compromised via a frequency interruption by the right criminals.

Also, do you know of a good REMOVABLE STEERING WHEEL just for CJ7's?
Unread 06-20-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Is this your DD? If not I would look into a storage locker that I'd behind locked gate. This will buy you some time to figure something out. Get it out of there site.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

When I took a locksmith course, the first thing they told us was locks are for honest people. If someone really wants in or wants it, well.... A fast winch into a sound and RF proof trailer and away it goes.
You can easily put hidden kill switches for things like your ignition or coil to make it difficult to do a fast key slam or hotwire, but you have the alarms and video now which deter that. A GPS tracker will mess up a casual thief too.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #6
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdowg View Post
Is this your DD? If not I would look into a storage locker that I'd behind locked gate. This will buy you some time to figure something out. Get it out of there site.
It is a DD (Daily Driver).

I need to figure out a routine of disarming or disconnecting certain items to make it difficult for anyone to attempt. It is stressing me out that anyone is even attempting to do this. I am even thinking of using HEAVY DUTY chains wrapped around the axels and secured to the ground or a huge tree. My mind is all over the place. It's funny how you go bonkers finding out something you would never do, is being thought of towards you.

I was told they are very aware of what alarm I have and have been simply waiting for that right time. Crazy huh?
Unread 06-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 258 View Post

It is a DD (Daily Driver).

I need to figure out a routine of disarming or disconnecting certain items to make it difficult for anyone to attempt. It is stressing me out that anyone is even attempting to do this. I am even thinking of using HEAVY DUTY chains wrapped around the axels and secured to the ground or a huge tree. My mind is all over the place. It's funny how you go bonkers finding out something you would never do, is being thought of towards you.

I was told they are very aware of what alarm I have and have been simply waiting for that right time. Crazy huh?
A toggle switch under the dash on the coil power wire with the connection hidden in the harness could mess them up. Even a magnetic switch instead of a toggle so you have to stick a magnet in a certain place on the dash to make it go.
A fender solenoid for an automatic has an extra ground post that could look stock and go to a hidden switch so the starter won't crank, won't even click.
A hydraulic lock on the rear brake lines could really mess up someone's mind. Some folks here use those as emergency brakes. Push the pedal on hard, hit the switch or lever and no way it moves under its own power.
Just a few thoughts for you, all aimed at a casual thief. A pro brings the RF and sound padded trailer and winch...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #8
jeepwhore
1984 CJ7 

I'd focus less on the engine aspect and more on the mobility. Like has been said, if they want it that bad they will back up and hook onto it and it will be gone. I would be finding ways to make it less likely to be pulled away. Parking another vehicle behind it in the driveway etc. Chaining the wheels won't deter them at all since they can easily cut them. Maybe getting a couple boots (one for a front tire and one for a rear, on opposite sides) would work?
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Best defense I know.
download.jpg

Unread 06-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
cuban11182
1984 CJ7 

Something like this would add more time.

http://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TCL65-W...B6S4JMV1RN19W8
cuban11182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

leave the transfer case in neutral
Unread 06-20-2015, 05:45 PM   #12
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuban11182 View Post
Something like this would add more time.

http://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TCL65-W...B6S4JMV1RN19W8
Awesome! I like this idea as well. I'm looking into getting one! Thanks
Unread 06-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #13
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
leave the transfer case in neutral
Can this be done in addition to leaving the transmission in gear? (a habit I always do; just for movement safety)

Should I lock the hubs?

Went to the PD and they are now aware and they do know the individuals that I am speaking of. The Sargent is going to add extra drive-bys throughout the night until I get the added vehicle protection. He also suggested a kill-switch added to the PASSENGER seat belt. In other words, you need to engage that belt for the vehicle to start.
Unread 06-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #14
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
A toggle switch under the dash on the coil power wire with the connection hidden in the harness could mess them up. Even a magnetic switch instead of a toggle so you have to stick a magnet in a certain place on the dash to make it go.
A fender solenoid for an automatic has an extra ground post that could look stock and go to a hidden switch so the starter won't crank, won't even click.
A hydraulic lock on the rear brake lines could really mess up someone's mind. Some folks here use those as emergency brakes. Push the pedal on hard, hit the switch or lever and no way it moves under its own power.
Just a few thoughts for you, all aimed at a casual thief. A pro brings the RF and sound padded trailer and winch...
Your right Mike, went to the PD and the Sargent told me a kill-swicth attached to the PASSENGER side seat belt mechanism is the best he's seen. In other words, you need to pull and engage the belt before the engine starts!
Unread 06-20-2015, 06:04 PM   #15
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k-fxst View Post
Best defense I know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.