85 cj7 460 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 85 cj7 460 swap

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 08-04-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
TomSkater
1985 CJ7 

85 cj7 460 swap

Okay guys ive owned my cj for awhile now and have been saving up for the past few monthes to get her rolling agian. ive recently ran into a pair of 1972 ford bronco axles (Dana 44 front ford 9 rear) they are all cleaned up painted and ready to go in...but before i do so i want to go bigger i didnt want to at first but me and a buddy have been kicking the idea of a ford 390 or 460 with a t18 of course. any input is helpful i tryed hunting down an amc 360 or 401 but thats just not happening around here and my buddy being the big ford nut he has both laying around hes willing to donate to me as he already built up his 302 for his 72 bronco.

TomSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Junkman
1985 CJ7 

If I had to use one of those engines I would go with the 460 due to parts availability. Having said that why not just go with a 302 or 351W it would be a much easier swap and much lighter on the front end. You could probably pick up an injected 302 pretty reasonable. Just a thought.
Unread 08-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
troy6187
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the for dana 44 is a driver side drop, which means it will not work with your stock transfer case.
troy6187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
TomSkater
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy6187 View Post
the for dana 44 is a driver side drop, which means it will not work with your stock transfer case.
yes i am awear of this never said i was going to use my dana 300 still up in the air of what i want to go with.
TomSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

390 is best used as a boat anchor. Between the two of those, go with the 460...it's a superior motor in all aspects. Ford did a decent job of copying the Big Block Chevy's with those engines, and the Cleveland small blocks. Not as good as an actual BBC, but a LOT better than an FE engine.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
fordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
390 is best used as a boat anchor. Between the two of those, go with the 460...it's a superior motor in all aspects. Ford did a decent job of copying the Big Block Chevy's with those engines, and the Cleveland small blocks. Not as good as an actual BBC, but a LOT better than an FE engine.
I call bull. Yes, the 460 is superior to the 390. But when you started talking about Chevy, you lost all credibility. Given, the big block Chevy is a great engine, but in no way did Ford copy the big block Chevy. Both the big block Chevy and the Ford FE were released in 1958, so the 390 obviously wasn't a copy, not to mention having MANY structural differences. Then we get to the 460... 4.9" bore spacing (more than Chevy's 4.84"), 10.3-10.322" deck height for every block (more than the tall deck Chevy's 10.2" and the short deck's 9.8"), 1.7:1 rod ratio (more than Chevy's 1.5:1 ratio), HUGE ports compared to the BBC (resulting in more flow), and despite having a low compression ratio of 8.7:1, the 460 made more horsepower from the factory than the 454. In 1970, the LS6 made 325 net horsepower; the standard, lowest hp 460 made 360 net hp. Even better, the LS5 made 270 net hp. On top of that, the 460's oiling system directs the oil in the valley back away from the rotating assembly and directly to the pan, while the 454 ONLY allows oil through the moving rotating assembly; this results in the 460 having better oil flow, less emulsion, and less power loss from the oil adding drag to the rotating assembly. Not to mention the 460 has thicker walls, as any 460 block should safely go to .080" over (minimum), up to as much as .140" over, and combined with the lower stress on the walls due to the 1.7:1 rod ratio, the larger 3.0" main journals (compared to 2.75") and 2.5" rod journals (compared to 2.2"), the lower compression, and the better oiling of the 460 and you get a longer lasting engine. But what do I know, I'm just some 16 year old kid who likes Fords... Feel free to add your input.
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

With so many better engines for a CJ available, why in the world would you waste your time and efforts with a big block Ford. I just hauled a 460 to the bone yard for scrap and it ran. It was worth more in scrap weight than on the market, no body wants them. Long stroke, slow to build HP, heavy as the devil. There is a reason you really see a performance 460 in any muscle car, there is a reason Ford never did it for the main stream (that I am aware of anyway). As much as I hate to say it, I would rather see a small block Chevy in a CJ or even a small block Ford. But what do I know I'm just a 46 year old kid who dislikes Fords.
twocents.gif

Unread 03-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Go with theAMC 360/401. Going to fit and be a lot easer to put in a CJ. Not that I am a big AMC fan but I have a 77 F250 4x4 with a swapped in 69 460, runs? like a raped ape for a 6700# truck but it is way to big, wide and heavy for a CJ. Just my feeling having a 460 and a CJ. I have to agree with Mopar, small block Chevys in CJs rock, but I am a 57 y/o kid that likes them all.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 05:23 AM   #9
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Just for the record, I DO NOT like small block Chevys in Cjs, but it would be better than a 460, in my opinion. I have an AMC 360 in my son's and if converting one would go that route, next chose, small block Mopar (for obvious reasons, but some logical ones too).
Unread 03-21-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
chevypowered
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346
With so many better engines for a CJ available, why in the world would you waste your time and efforts with a big block Ford. I just hauled a 460 to the bone yard for scrap and it ran. It was worth more in scrap weight than on the market, no body wants them. Long stroke, slow to build HP, heavy as the devil. There is a reason you really see a performance 460 in any muscle car, there is a reason Ford never did it for the main stream (that I am aware of anyway). As much as I hate to say it, I would rather see a small block Chevy in a CJ or even a small block Ford. But what do I know I'm just a 46 year old kid who dislikes Fords.
Hahahaha well said
chevypowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
fordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
You really didn't add anything there. All you added was your opinion on 460s, and the fact that you scrapped one based on your opinion that nobody wants them. I said nothing about the small block Chevy, nothing about the small block Ford, and nothing about how well it would fit in a CJ. I was replying to Pacfanweb's comment about the big block Chevy being better than the big block Ford, and only that. So try to stay on topic! And by the way, the 460 has a 3.85" stroke, which of course is lower than the 454's 4" stroke, so your little basesless comment about it having a long stroke is null and void. Repost when you have an actual response.
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #12
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Your funny, I like you. My comment was not directed at you or your comments that I remember.

Well, the topic of the OP is the opinions of a 460 swap into CJ, not the comparison between a 460 and big block Chevy. I'm not exactly a fan of the 454 either by the way. Any big block in just about any bog vehicle adds weight to the front end which makes it plow through holes, not the best scenario. The fact that I don't like Fords is really more related to real world experience with perform not a measurement I read out of a book. I don't even care that you are 16 or 56, I know some really sharp young'ens and some really dumb old guys, so it really more about the individual. I believe one of the most inportant things is pointed out in my signature.

A piece of advice, whether you want it or not. We all can disagree on here at times, but we generally try not attack each other or be insulting, we just have different views and opinions.

NOW back to topic, opinions, thoughts and experiences on putting a big block Ford in a CJ.

Have a great day, I will.
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman View Post
You really didn't add anything there. All you added was your opinion on 460s, and the fact that you scrapped one based on your opinion that nobody wants them. I said nothing about the small block Chevy, nothing about the small block Ford, and nothing about how well it would fit in a CJ. I was replying to Pacfanweb's comment about the big block Chevy being better than the big block Ford, and only that. So try to stay on topic! And by the way, the 460 has a 3.85" stroke, which of course is lower than the 454's 4" stroke, so your little basesless comment about it having a long stroke is null and void. Repost when you have an actual response.
^^^ funny chit right there
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #14
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSkater View Post
Okay guys ive owned my cj for awhile now and have been saving up for the past few monthes to get her rolling agian. ive recently ran into a pair of 1972 ford bronco axles (Dana 44 front ford 9 rear) they are all cleaned up painted and ready to go in...but before i do so i want to go bigger i didnt want to at first but me and a buddy have been kicking the idea of a ford 390 or 460 with a t18 of course. any input is helpful i tryed hunting down an amc 360 or 401 but thats just not happening around here and my buddy being the big ford nut he has both laying around hes willing to donate to me as he already built up his 302 for his 72 bronco.
Too bad you can't find a 401 locally, cubic inches, forged crank and rods, high nickel block and bolt it to a CJ and lighter than a BBF of BBC.
Unread 03-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar346 View Post
Your funny, I like you. My comment was not directed at you or your comments that I remember.

Well, the topic of the OP is the opinions of a 460 swap into CJ, not the comparison between a 460 and big block Chevy. I'm not exactly a fan of the 454 either by the way. Any big block in just about any bog vehicle adds weight to the front end which makes it plow through holes, not the best scenario. The fact that I don't like Fords is really more related to real world experience with perform not a measurement I read out of a book. I don't even care that you are 16 or 56, I know some really sharp young'ens and some really dumb old guys, so it really more about the individual. I believe one of the most inportant things is pointed out in my signature.

A piece of advice, whether you want it or not. We all can disagree on here at times, but we generally try not attack each other or be insulting, we just have different views and opinions.

NOW back to topic, opinions, thoughts and experiences on putting a big block Ford in a CJ.

Have a great day, I will.
Hate to be captain obvious, but you do realize you're arguing with a ford fan boy, all 2 of his 2 posts are both in this thread about ford engines. Obviously this kid is an unbiased source, and a wealth of knowledge from a neighboring state of mine, of which we have no relation. Make no mistake the midwest has much more to offer than corn, cattle, bibles and bigotry. Just depends where you look.

That said, I have several friends running 460 broncos, I have a great many more friends running 302s and 351ws. I personally could care less what engine you run. Reach into your back pocket and once you and your wallet agree on which engine swap is right for you, you'll find plenty of people here who have probably done said engine swap and will be happy to guide you.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.