85 CJ7 258..done - need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 85 CJ7 258..done - need help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
DJatUGA
1985 CJ7 

85 CJ7 258..done - need help

que pasa all,

(cliffsnotes: I need a rebuilt 258 in Atlanta area, have core, need help with a trustworthy builder for the best price)

I should start by saying I'm fairly new to Jeeps, but definitely not to cars, forums, or the interwebs. I do realize that "google is my friend" and so is doing a little research on my own before expecting someone to do it for me.
That being said--I am gonna need a pardon on this one.

My father in law has a couple CJ's (nothing to get excited about, both a bit rough around the edges) and recently he told me he got a quote of $1100 to fix his leaking rear main, and also to do his clutch too "bc he had to take it off anyway"--immediately I laughed, and volunteered to do it for him, and advised him to seek a new mechanic for future repairs, or at least one willing to look into the particular vehicle he/she is giving estimates on.

Well, I should have kept my mouth shut--the main bearing is showing more than a little wear, and I advised him to replace/rebuild his engine. Yes, Its that bad. Pics to follow of course.

Currently, its all back together in my garage, running (if thats what you wanna call it) but he wants me to just source an engine with zero miles, switch it out and then he will come get it back.

Truthfully, I would never just replace it with a rebuilt 258, but he probably drives this jeep 150 miles a year and while money isn't a factor, it needs to be relative to what he uses (or doesn't use) it for.

Can anyone throw me a bone and point me to a reputable engine builder for this application. I have plenty of machine shops etc.. but I prefer to keep things within everyone's area of expertise. I don't have the time currently to rebuild this myself, and its hard enough not to mod it just for the sake of doing it.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can throw my way--as I learn the Jeep world more I look forward to being able to return the favor--

DJ

DJatUGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
DJatUGA
1985 CJ7 

thx

@ mickey mouse
I am assuming you mean this
http://www.quadratec.com/products/51107_50X_PG.htm

That's freakin sweet dude

Thanks for the response, I know it can be a mixed bag when a n00b throws out a request as a first post, i'm just kinda pressed for time in this case and have limited Jeep knowledge, more specifically, limited knowledge about Jeep aftermarket vendors

and while that motor is beast, perhaps I wasn't clear as to what this gets used for-

150 miles a year in a street commute -- doesn't exactly scream 4K$ stroker motor

I was just hoping to find a stocki-ish rebuilt 258 --essentially a stock replacement, from a place with a decent reputation. I had said Atlanta area, just bc I know shipping an engine (and core) can add up, but I'm not opposed to an out of state place.

Like I said, I would never do this type of replacement as a matter of practice, but when everything is factored in (cost of this CJ, its condition, its use, etc...) this is the best option.

Seriously though, thanks for the input, I'll have to remember that one for when I build my CJ down the road.

DJ

Last edited by DJatUGA; 08-26-2012 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: spelling
DJatUGA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
258 , cj7 , engine failure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.