85' CJ Ignition problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 85' CJ Ignition problem

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
msgrogan
1985 CJ7 

85' CJ Ignition problem

Driving down the road the other day and heard a loud backfire and lost compression. Had it towed back to the house and finally started working on it today. Just bought this Jeep about a month ago so wasnt expecting much trouble because it was in solid condition.

The engine turns over and has ignition for a split second. Seems like its starving for fuel. Pulled the breather and the fuel pump is pumping gas to the carb. Just replaced the fuel filters and hoses today. I also checked the pump again when I had the filters off. So I'm thinking carb?

msgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Do you have spark as long as your turning over engine, or only for a moment then nothing?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

If it's pumping gas to the carb, you have a different issue. There's not much involved with a carb... gravity, vacuum, and venturi are about it. I doubt that it would be running then suddenly die from a carburetion problem if the carb was getting fuel.

Have you checked for spark?

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
msgrogan
1985 CJ7 

Don't have much experience with older vehicles. I'm trying to read the service manual online now. So I need to be looking for a spark inside the carb? Or should I pull the plugs, clean them and see if I'm getting a spark from the plugs to the wire? I have poured a bit of gas in the carb to see if the carb wasn't getting enough gas. The best I got was a puff of white smoke..haha.
Unread 09-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
msgrogan
1985 CJ7 

Let me rephrase part of that last comment. I little to no experience with any vehicle besides normal maintanance! Just want you to know what your dealing with.
Unread 09-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
SavSilvrCJ
1985 CJ7 

I just went through this this morning. When I replaced the solenoid I never reconnected the I terminal on the solenoid and it would crank and want to start but then would die like it wasnt getting fuel. I hooked up the I terminal and she stayed running. Dont know if this is your problem but it wouldnt hurt to check those wires.
Unread 09-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #7
msgrogan
1985 CJ7 

Alright second day of working on the jeep down. I do have spark on each plug. What I've done so far is to replace fuel pump, fuel filters, solenoid, distributor cap, plug wires, plugs just to be safe. I have the same problem as before. So now I think I need to rebuild the carb...which is only $30.
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Centerfire

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgrogan View Post
heard a loud backfire and lost compression.
You've got spark, you've got gas.

Checked your timing and done a compression test?
Centerfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Check the suggestion by SavSilvrCJ. Do you have wires on both spade terminals of the starter solenoid? The ignition terminal energizes the coil when the starter is cranking. If the engine fires up while cranking and then stops, check that there is 12v to the coil when the ignition switch is on.
You need air, fuel and spark.
Pull the air cleaner off - you know air is getting to the engine.
Crank the engine while spraying starting fluid in the carburator - if it runs you know you have spark.
If it stops running when you stop spraying - you need fuel.
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
msgrogan
1985 CJ7 

I need the engine to run to check timing? Don't have a compression tester. You think I should rule out compression before I attempt the carburetor?

Well I have 12v to the ears of the solenoid. Don't have 12v on the screws that point toward the engine. I have the ignition switch on. Did you mean 12v when the cranking the motor? The reason I ask is because I just replaced the solenoid and I doubt it would be bad. I guess I could have picked up a bad one.

I'll have to pick up starting spray this weekend.
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

When you look down the throat of carb and move throttle to wide open do you see gas squirting out the accelerator pump holes?

Your going to need engine running to set and or check timing.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #12
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Sounds like it jumped time. Thats when you chew up the timing sprocket and it won't run. It will also bend push rods break internal components and other wise mess up your day.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
msgrogan
1985 CJ7 

Yes, fuel does squirt into the carb when throttle lever is pulled or accelerator is pushed

If the timing sprocket was broken, wouldn't I hear banging noises? Can this be checked without Taking apart the engine.
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Maybe, maybe not. Some of the OEM timing chains had plastic teeth and they would grind down it wouldn't make a lot of noise. You can pull the timing chain cover and look at it while in there you could check the alignment of the timing marks.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #15
mluatc

check and make sure your tach is hooked up properly there should be 2 leads a red and whit and a red going into it there is also a orang which is for dash illumination and black for grounding if this the red wire and the red and white wire aren't hooked up or something like that this can cause you jeep not to run it sounds like it wants to run when you turn it over but as soon as you come off the crank position with the key nothing
mluatc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carberator , cj7 , fuel pump , ignition problem

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.